View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Oh Malka, god it all sounds horrendous, you must be so tired and worried.. hopefully you both managed a good night's sleep and hopefully no more GM's for a long time.. this would freak me out and I am taking my hat off to you for coping so well... I know... needs must.. thinking of you xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 06:53 AM
How are things today Malka? I hope Pereg had no more fits and you got some rest.
xxx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Oh dear. This isn't good news. Will Pereg be seeing your vet with a view to changing or increasing medication?

I too hope she gets a break from them but realise that it's out of your hands whether she does or not.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by brophy View Post
Hope you and Pereg have a peaceful night, thinking of you both x
Thank you Marilyn. Pereg needed to go out to pee about three times, probably because she drank so much water after yesterday evening's seizure. But apart from that she was OK - and we both had another sleep after I had given her her 7am meds.

Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Oh Malka, god it all sounds horrendous, you must be so tired and worried.. hopefully you both managed a good night's sleep and hopefully no more GM's for a long time.. this would freak me out and I am taking my hat off to you for coping so well... I know... needs must.. thinking of you xxx
Thank you for those kind words Eva. I am very tired and worried, yes - upset, yes, freaked out, no. It is, unfortunately, something that owners of epi dogs just have to cope with somehow. The alternative does not bear thinking about.

I hope your two are doing OK now. xx

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
How are things today Malka? I hope Pereg had no more fits and you got some rest.
xxx
Thanks Linda - she seems to be fine now, but then again she was perfectly normal on Monday until the double seizures started, and also again yesterday. I have just had a long chat with Ram - he pulled up Pereg's notes on his computer and I had her seizure diary open on mine, so we discussed the times of the GMs she has had since she broke her streak. I had already worked out what I thought which of her doses should be increased, based on the those times, and he agreed.

Her last Pb levels [on 28 April] were 29.7 which is a fair way under the top marker of 40, and her liver and kidney functions were spot on perfect, so there is plenty of scope for an increase. At the moment she has been having 65mg TID [increased from 50mg TID just over a month ago], so it will now be increased to 65mg at 7am, 100mg at 3pm and 65mg at 11pm - a total daily increase of 35mg/day.

I am so lucky to have a Vet who will take the time to discuss everything with me, not only when I take Pereg to the surgery but also over the phone, and who also has so much knowledge about canine epilepsy. We had a bit of a laugh when I mentioned that Complex Partial [Psychomotor] seizures are supposed to only happen to dogs with secondary epilepsy, and of course Pereg's is Idiopathic - Ram's comment being that Pereg has obviously "not read the book"!

I hope Loki is doing well. xx

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh dear. This isn't good news. Will Pereg be seeing your vet with a view to changing or increasing medication?

I too hope she gets a break from them but realise that it's out of your hands whether she does or not.
To be honest Pat it sucks, but as you say it is totally out of my hands. As I just said to Linda I have just had a long discussion with Ram and we agreed to increase her 3pm dosage and just see how things go. Increases in dosage can take a week or two to kick in so she might have more seizures in the next few days/weeks. Or maybe not!

The only certainty about epilepsy is the uncertainty of it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Glad to hear you managed some sleep last night, I was hoping to read she had stayed seiz free. Hope you have a quiet day and get more rest xxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Bless you, Malka, you try so hard for Pereg. It is so hard and you are always having to be watchful, I know, so it's hard for you to get rest.

It's good though that you have scope to increase the dose. Loki does too - he's fine thanks, but approaching that 4 week fit-free time so I'm watchful.

I know it's very hard but please make time for yourself and to rest.
Hugs.
xxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I hope things are better today Malka.
X X X
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I too hope you both have an easier time today x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

26-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I hope things are better today Malka.
X X X
Thank you Dawn.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I too hope you both have an easier time today x
Thank you too Shirley.

...and thanks to those I missed yesterday, Lynne and Susannah I think. I am so grateful to everyone for their good wishes for my Pereg.

Linda - I only do for Pereg what you have to do for Loki, and you have had to cope with this horrid think for far longer than I have. You also have two young children and a husband so it must be even more difficult for you, especially if Loki has the sort of diabolical post-ictal behaviour that hits Pereg.

To be honest I find that more difficult to cope with than the actual seizures as there is very little that can be done for them while they are seizing - although I do use ocular compression since I learned about it. Whether it does bring her out of the sz quicker than without it I do not know, but that, plus talking to her, means that as soon as she is aware of things she knows that I am with her.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Pereg is so lucky to have you, Malka
Doing ok today?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >