Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I know what drugs dogs are and explosive dogs, I used to assess them for the Police, Army and Prison service. They still do not become "addicted" or otherwise affected by drugs like cannabis in the house, thats madness! Thats like saying all these folk who cultivate the stuff are high all the time, they are not!
How did you assess them? Did you have to send them to the appropriate service?

rune
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Such a sad situation for all concerned the Lady who was mauled in particular.

I don't think it could of been dealt with any differently the poor dog had to be shot whether we feel it right or not.

I feel sorry for the poor dog maybe it was ill maybe it was put into a situation that set it up for this attack by this person doing something without knowing this would be the dreadful outcome.

Although not a pleasant way to end its life it seems to me that it is better out of this world if the reports of its life and how it was kept are true.

The poor woman what she must of felt and thought do not bare thinking about. The man who owned this dog now needs to pay for two lives so tragically lost.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
How did you assess them? Did you have to send them to the appropriate service?

rune
I kept dogs which I thought had potential, the Police and Prison service were often asking me for dogs, if any I thought might make it came along, I'd use "a" toy, see how possessive they were and how determined etc.. they were to seek it and play with it. Getting more difficult as time went by.

After a couple weeks you could usually tell if they were suitable or not. the prison service had about 8 from me, the Police about the same, never did one come back as not passed. The Army had one, and Id never let them have another, ever.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I kept dogs which I thought had potential, the Police and Prison service were often asking me for dogs, if any I thought might make it came along, I'd use "a" toy, see how possessive they were and how determined etc.. they were to seek it and play with it. Getting more difficult as time went by.

After a couple weeks you could usually tell if they were suitable or not. the prison service had about 8 from me, the Police about the same, never did one come back as not passed. The Army had one, and Id never let them have another, ever.
Oh right----I thought you meant you'd actually worked with them and used drugs or explosives. I have sent several the way of the police in the last few years. Doing the same thing with toys.

The only failure was a collie and funnily enough he had lived with drugs around. He was rehomed to a policeman as a pet.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh right----I thought you meant you'd actually worked with them and used drugs or explosives. I have sent several the way of the police in the last few years. Doing the same thing with toys.

The only failure was a collie and funnily enough he had lived with drugs around. He was rehomed to a policeman as a pet.

rune
No sorry, didnt mean to imply that. I did go to the Police training centre several times for them to teach me what they specifically wanted, also to meet up with the dogs I had homed there, which was great. Did the "passing out parade" a few times too, not sure if they still do that though.

I did also look at a few GSDs for general police work as I used to help with GSDs welfare for several years. Good success there too, like the collie you mention, the only failure was a dog owned by a druggie, I thought he would be fine because he was very bolshy, but turned out way too aggressive in the end.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think once a dog has mauled a human (especially in a prolonged attack, which this clearly was) then it's simply not safe, and I believe that the dog should be pts or shot, whatever is safest in the immediate circumstances. I personally do not believe the dog itself needed assessing, I think a postmortem might have been useful to check for any physical/brain tumour type problems or similar.

I think the dog probably did what it did due to the circumstances it was kept in, the life it led ... and you cannot blame it for behaving like a dog who was bred to think for itself, which many of these newer molosser types are bred for.

I feel very sorry for everyone, the victim and the dog, but NOT the owner ...

Wys
x
I agree with this.

There is a whole world of difference between a dog biting a person and a dog attacking a person.

This dog had to be removed form the poor Lady as it issued a prolonged and ferocious attack, the only way to deal with a dog like this is to PTS immediately IMO. There is no benefit to it being studied, it cannot be rehomed and it cannot be allowed to attack some one again.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Ours go to Wales----they have taken a lot recently because of the olympics and explosives.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Ours go to Wales----they have taken a lot recently because of the olympics and explosives.

rune
Thats not surprising. I think its a great life for many dogs that otherwise may find it difficult to find the right home.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
How and who exactly should have been the ones to try and secure this dog for 'testing'.
Already asked and answered.

Why should the police or anyone else be the ones to risk their lives and/or injury for the sake of learning about the dogs temperament,
1. I am not suggesting that anyone risk their lives. This was not a tiger, it was a dog.

2. It is not "for the sake of learning about the dogs temperament". It is for the sake of gaining insight into a fatal attack.

and how would those results have helped stop future attacks??
Do you know why this dog - a dog that until this tragedy had never killed anyone - decided to make a sustained attack on that woman at that time? Do you not feel that understanding this might suggest ways to prevent re-occurences? Do you not agree that being able to observe the dog's response to various stimuli affords a better chance of obtaining that understanding?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Already asked and answered.

1. I am not suggesting that anyone risk their lives. This was not a tiger, it was a dog.
A dog that had just KILLED someone
2. It is not "for the sake of learning about the dogs temperament". It is for the sake of gaining insight into a fatal attack.

Do you know why this dog - a dog that until this tragedy had never killed anyone - decided to make a sustained attack on that woman at that time? Do you not feel that understanding this might suggest ways to prevent re-occurences? Do you not agree that being able to observe the dog's response to various stimuli affords a better chance of obtaining that understanding?
Yes, maybe it would give a better understanding of why that particular dog attacked, but what good will it do to the thousands of dogs in homes like this?? The owners wont read and take in the results of these findings, and the finding also wont mean knowing why this dog and that dog mauled a child/attacked the owner the next time it happens.
Every dog attacks for their reasons, one dog may react to one thing and another ignore it. What good would putting one dog through these tests achieve? And also, removing a dog from their home environment and putting them in kennels, then trying to assess how they behave without anyone entering the same area as the dog(remember, this dog killed someone) results arent exactly going to be accurate are they!!?
Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »