its true about subtlety then...
Another LOL!

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 12:04 AM
i think its almost a bit of both,
I agree with Helena, many of us have been here for quite some time, and thus the regulars feel like friends we talk to every day.

I do air some dirty laundry and come on for a rant and its good to get other peoples opinions on things, and to get an unbiased point of view too.

I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing moments of my life, with cyberfriends and this is the only site I feel comfortable to do it on.... its definetly true what they say about people who love dogs being the nicest !!

I think there is also an element of escapism in that its easier to have a rant on here than say something face to face, and also easier to share something on here than to family or friends sometimes.

I totally disagree with Jols about whether its "sad" not to have real life friends. I definetly do, they just wouldnt want to listen to me go on about my dog, and talk about certain stuff thus why this website is great !
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I think its good people can come on here and share personal news or what ever with us (thats not dog related)! If I can help I will, if not I will share a few kind words and let them moan/rant on.
I personally wouldnt put 'personal' stuff on the forum, regarding familes stuff.. not that I have much going on we are all just nutters, who like bald dogs ..

I dont really talk to anyone on here to class them as friends - although there are some that I feel comfortable talking to, and will maybe one day meet them? who knows...

There are a couple of people I talk to but knew them before joining here.

I understand that some people do not have close friends or families to confide in, or rant and moan to. This may be what brought them to the forum in the first place? Like minded people to talk to. Most of us are here to share info, pictures and learn but some are also here to make friends within the dog world ... No harm in that what so ever. Doesnt mean they lead sad lives, with no friends.. and people are harsh to laugh at that fact!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2010, 01:11 AM
it got me thinking.........what do other people think? sometimes you just can't talk to friends or family for loyalty reasons etc. and you need someone who doesn't know either of you to offer an unbiased opinion
I think that is absolutely right, sometimes people are 'too close' and it can be very helpful to have an outside opinion and a different perspective on things.

Originally Posted by jols View Post
I only have friends that I meet and can see.............people on forums are just people on forums.

and airing your dirty linen if you do it expect answers, though you might not like them.
People on forums are a mixture of types just the same as people you meet anywhere and there are those you learn to like and trust and those you don't . I don't think being able to 'see' or meet someone in person necessarily makes them better friends than those we meet on the internet.

Originally Posted by jols View Post
using the quote button is not very interesting is it? or maybe thats as interesting as it get for you...lol.
The quote button is there to enable members both to quote and to read the quotes made by others with ease, it has nothing to do with being interesting.

In order to avoid confusion about who said what to whom, members are advised to use the quote button.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post

Mish, your site is fab! Really shows the dog lover you are, and that you know what you are talking about! And I loved Mav, Flynn and Zola's pages! You must be dead proud of them! I looked through it ages ago, if only I lived closer to you, I think Misty would benefit!
Thankyou, im realy proud of them of course. They mean the world to me! I suppose not "everyone" on a doggy Forum is as Doggy as me, but surely it is to be expected that some people are really really uber doggy?

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- me neither! Obviously my habits are dull as well!!
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Hmmmn, a bit of an own goal by Jols perhaps? A little ironic considering the title of this thread!!
Aww online friends! Thanx lovelies!!!!

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I totally disagree with Jols about whether its "sad" not to have real life friends. I definetly do, they just wouldnt want to listen to me go on about my dog, and talk about certain stuff thus why this website is great !
Yes people def get fed up with the Dog Talk dont they, when i used to go out with a mixed group (doggy/horsey girls & their notso OHs) Dogs were banned, lasted all of 5 mins!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Oh whats your husband being using your computor for? is he going to trade you in! pmsl

Just had a look actually, yes theres one page with it on, Oh well no doubt t will get changed to another freewebs add in time, thats why its a free site/. Tbh, im sure people understand that with a freesite you do get ads which you have no control over.
Im actually spending all my money on my nieces & nephews atm so sadley i have no spare money to spend ....... oh no i forgot i hate kids , going to spend it on my dogs instead!!!! yey!
Every person looking at the website would see them .
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I am off now but I do like a good banter..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Same here for me sometimes it is easier to talk to friends on here about personal stuff than family members. Mainly the problems I had few years back with mum and could not talk to my sister she was to close and also very ill and my brothers didn't really care anyway.

There was a lot of support and advice which helped me through a rough patch I do also have friends outside of Dogsey and one really good friend who I discuss most things with but we do not get to meet too often due to distance and her now taking on helping to look after her grandchild so meeting up for us is more difficult now.

Jols I am not sure why you think those of us that discuss some personal stuff sometimes is a bad thing we have been here for a very long time (some of us) and this is a unique forum that most people get on and it is also here for the very reason of offering help support and advice you only have to take note of the different sections Azz has included over the years to see this.

If I cannot offer some advice or support or just am at a loss at what to say I tend not to reply. If I feel something needs saying not necessarily maybe what the poster wants to hear I try to do it in a friendly way.

You upset me immensely over one of your threads you started in fact it was very upsetting, cruel and you really do not understand the bigger picture in the first place. In the end I bowed out because some people are not helpful and it is best not to get involved. This was something that at the time was very personal to me and my OH and you made it sound like he was lumped in with your ideal view of a group of people you actually probably have never met and do not know what their day to day working lives actually involve. There are plenty of other forums where we could go and get slagged off if we wanted or needed it we don't thats why we stick to Dogsey.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I find the Ignore button extremely helpful. Unfortunately quotes from people I would prefer not to hear from still show.
Can people stop quoting ... certain people... so much?

(I wish there was an Ignore button in real life. )
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find the Ignore button extremely helpful. Unfortunately quotes from people I would prefer not to hear from still show.
Can people stop quoting ... certain people... so much?

(I wish there was an Ignore button in real life. )
Ohhh.....I LOVE the ignore button - its like some people just disappear of the face of the earth!
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »