Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Moss has taken over the lawn

I spent a good few hours in the garden this afternoon, generally tidying up etc.

I have never seen so much moss in my lawn in all the 15 years we have lived here - it has completely taken over in places.

We live 1000ft above sea level in a very damp atmosphere with high rainfall - perfect for moss I guess.

Part of me is thinking - great, at least I won't have to mow so much in the summer and the other part is thinking I should really do something about this!

Should I rake it all out and reseed the area? The problem is keeping the dogs off the reseeded areas - any tips gratefully received
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2011, 08:38 PM
If you have a large garden or a heck load of moss ask around if someone has a scarifier.They look similiar to a lawn mower,but instead of blades they have spring tines which aggresivley rip the moss out of the ground.It will save your back and they can cover a large area very quickly.

If you want to do it by hand with a rake apply a feed,weed,mosskiller a fortnight beforehand as it will make your life a bit easier by killing it off first.They're all pet friendly too and you dont need to exclude them from lawn,but it does stain carpet if trodden in so wipe their paws.Wait another month though as april is the time to apply weedkillers.

Reseed when all clear of moss and weeds.
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks Steve - thats really helpful