Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:01 AM

I have Pleurisy....

My goodness me, Pleurisy HURTS!

Woke up yesterday with agonising pain in my shoulder which gradually moved down to the lower part of my left lung at the back. I had a sneaking suspicion it was pleurisy (seems my medical sciences degree has its uses!) but didn't want to be dramatic lol. Eventually called the out of hours GP, after avoiding it for hours! Went to the hospital (where the out of hours service was) and sat in the waiting room. I hadn't been able to sit up all day, and sitting in the waiting room for 20 mins was just way too much I could barely breathe by this point. My wife asked for me to be able to lie down because of my chest pains, and in fairness to the staff there I was taken to another room to lie down straight away, but as I was lead out of the waiting room, a woman with a baby (who was crawling all over the floor perfectly happily) started b!tching about the fact that I was being taken elsewhere - not sure what society has come to when someone with chest pains gets seen before a baby with a cold and someone complains about it, but there we go!

The Dr examined me and then said it was either Pleurisy, or a blood clot on the lung, I was lead around the corner to the medical admissions ward, had blood tests straight away and a chest xray - really wasn't happy at the thought of a blood clot on the lung....but after an hour or so my bloods came back with elevated white blood cells and the xray showed pleurisy - the Dr was a little confused by my happiness with the diagnosis but when compared to the possibility of a blood clot and having to stay in hospital I was over the moon!

However, it REALLY hurts! Its not too bad today - but it was gradually worse as the day went on yesterday so I'm not holding my breath (lol!) the antibiotics are quite strong, I'm hoping I won't get a bad stomach as well.....came at a really bad time really I have exams on the 17th!

Anyway, thought I'd share
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Hope you're feeling better soon and AB's ease things so you feel better in time for exams. Take some probiotics if you can should help prevent getting a bad stomach. Good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear you`re ill. I hope the ab`s take effect soon. Keep warm.
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh poor you Lorna, this is painful, my friend suffers with this, that's why I haven't been able to see her over Christmas just in case I pass on my cold, she'd be in big trouble.

I hope that ab's start working soon and you'll be much more comfortable. xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Wishing you well soon Lorna.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
So sorry to hear this Lorna, I hope you feel better soon xxx

Is this something that will effect you from now on or just a one off?
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Poor you, I had pleurisy years ago and it was the sorest thing I've ever had, it was agony to breathe in, agony to breathe out!
Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in quickly, the only thing to do is rest, rest and more rest. (I found hot lemonade and chocolate helped, but i think I was just feeling sorry for myself by then )
Hope you feel a bit better soon.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
How nasty, I'm sure my Gran had this years ago, she used to say she did but I don't remember her being in agony so maybe she just thought she had it! Sounds horrible and I hope the ABs kick in soon. Take care of yourself, remember things can only get better for 2011 after this little lot!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Get well soon Lorna.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Ouch...it hurts & it's frightening
I've had it 4 times now ..... mainly through working at the stables & getting warm & taking my jacket off in the damp weather.
The 2nd time was due to not getting over the 1st episode & going out in the fog.
I now wear bodywarmers a lot & vest tops under t Shirts.
One thing I found that helps is Vegetable Cough Remover by Potters (find it in Hollan & Barrets)
I took the dose in a small amount of hot water & it really eased the pain.
Feel Better Soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >