View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Good plan with the cheese!!! He has a really loud squeaky ball he loves too so will take that. Wasn't this nervous taking kids out but then I knew I could run faster than them!!! lol
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Mine are off lead from day 1 as long as its a safe place., but as I have adults with good recalls, they follow them...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 01:45 PM
jake has been off from day one as well. he was so small that his wee legs couldnt carry him faster than what mine could carry me, so if he went off after something or to see a dog and wouldnt come back, i could easily catch him so he came to no harm. as he got bigger, and faster, his recall had improved but wasnt great (and still isnt, in fact its got worse since he has hit the teenage stage) so i did, and still do, what briard lover said...

Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
If you have trouble with the recall, never run after a puppy, run in the opposite direction calling them and squeaking the toy, at that age they will think you are leaving them, run to them they think it's a game.
it works like a charm
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
The beach is fine I should think, plus you can see if there's anyone on the horizon so you can judge whether there will be too many distractions for him. Take a pocket full of cheese!
Cheese is a great invention, always have it in my pockets..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
I've been thinking....I need to let him off don't I??? Ok, I'm going to give it a go later.
yey! cute little boxer zoomies!!!! take some pictures for me please!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I walk a dog aggresive dog which I muzzle and keep leashed (harness and trailing line). I do this to protect other dogs whose owners' have insufficient control or lack awareness. When I encounter such owners their dogs are safe but my dog will have practiced an undesirable behaviour and his rehabilitation inhibited.

Consideration cuts both ways. Don't allow your dog to approach on-lead dogs without agreement. Train a solid recall or keep your dog on-lead.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 02:23 PM
My puppies have been off lead from day one. Rio and Dan stay reasonably close to me anyway. I have to agree with Johnderondon - if your dog could potentially kill a puppy that approaches it, it should be muzzled or walked where it won't meet other dogs.

It's a pet hate of mine that those with dog aggressive dogs walk them in popular dog walking areas. If a dog can only be lead walked - walk it round the streets and leave the open spaces for sociable dogs.

(and yes I have had experience of walking da dogs - and it's about being considerate to other dog walkers.)
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have always let my puppies off lead from day one. As others have said, they stick with you until their confidence grows. If you teach them good habits early on they generally continue with that.

If you NEVER let a puppy off lead 'just in case' it doesn't recall, you are making a rod for your own back. The people I know of that have done this (kept puppies on lead for fear of losing them) now have young adult dogs that cannot contain themselves when they actually are let off lead because it is too exciting for them. Their recall has SUFFERED because they actually haven't had off-lead experiences early on.

Besides, I don't believe that any dog has a perfect recall. You can have a pretty darn near perfect recall, but I don't believe in perfection 100% of the time...they are animals after all. So where do you draw the line?

As for the owners of aggressive dogs, if the dog is aggressive to the point where it would attack (and kill) a puppy then IMO it should be muzzled. In a perfect world, everyone who let's their dog off lead would have complete control of them. Of course, the reality is far different. The average dog owner has an average recall on their dog and if you have your dog on lead for whatever reason, right or wrong, you are going to have off lead dogs coming up to you sometimes.
I agree with this! My dogs have reasonably good recall, but will never have 100% recall. I shouldn't have to keep mine on lead all the time because other people have dangerous dogs with them.
Right, firstly I never said my dog was aggressive and dangerous! He is dominant and doesn't like other like-minded dogs approaching him. We have had him for 3 years and he has never ever gone for another dog BUT that isn't to say that he might!

I made the reference about attacking and killing a pup, not about my dog, but because of another topic on here where a dog killed a pup and may now be pts, I was questioning which dog was really to blame??

I have 100% recall with him which is just as well! Because, when we took him on, we were told he was dog aggressive it has made me very nervous but as I said he has never gone for another dog since we have had him. He has been loose around lots and lots of dogs and if anything prefers to be with us rather than other dogs.

I too have to be careful where we walk as there is a real idiot in our street who walks both his aggressive dogs off lead (they are also people aggressive!!)

My point is people who allow their puppies to approach strange dogs shouldn't blame the strange dog if it attacks their puppy.

My first dog, when I was 11, used to stick to me like glue and I walked him off lead on a private estate from the minute I got him. In the right place I have no objection to off lead walking and I agree puppies have to go free at some point and sooner than later is much better. It is easier if you have an older dog for a pup to learn from.

Long lines are the perfect training solution as they have the freedom and yet you can control then if necessary.

Again my main point was that people seem to blame the dogs and not the uncontrolled puppy when these awful accidents happen. I didn't mean to infer that puppies should never be allowed off lead, just that there is a time and a place.

Please read my posts carefully before jumping on me!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Right, firstly I never said my dog was aggressive and dangerous! He is dominant and doesn't like other like-minded dogs approaching him. We have had him for 3 years and he has never ever gone for another dog BUT that isn't to say that he might!

I made the reference about attacking and killing a pup, not about my dog, but because of another topic on here where a dog killed a pup and may now be pts, I was questioning which dog was really to blame??

I have 100% recall with him which is just as well! Because, when we took him on, we were told he was dog aggressive it has made me very nervous but as I said he has never gone for another dog since we have had him. He has been loose around lots and lots of dogs and if anything prefers to be with us rather than other dogs.

I too have to be careful where we walk as there is a real idiot in our street who walks both his aggressive dogs off lead (they are also people aggressive!!)

My point is people who allow their puppies to approach strange dogs shouldn't blame the strange dog if it attacks their puppy.

My first dog, when I was 11, used to stick to me like glue and I walked him off lead on a private estate from the minute I got him. In the right place I have no objection to off lead walking and I agree puppies have to go free at some point and sooner than later is much better. It is easier if you have an older dog for a pup to learn from.

Long lines are the perfect training solution as they have the freedom and yet you can control then if necessary.

Again my main point was that people seem to blame the dogs and not the uncontrolled puppy when these awful accidents happen. I didn't mean to infer that puppies should never be allowed off lead, just that there is a time and a place.

Relax! I didn't jump on you! The 'you' in my post was a hypothetical one - I didn't suggest YOUR DOG would kill another. And you did infer that puppies should not be let off lead, btw!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 02:46 PM
|I understand where you're coming from, but how are puppies supposed to learn doggie manners if not from another dog?? i don't speak dog, so i can't teach them. Yes Meg got told off a couple of times when she was a pup for being in older dogs faces, but she now has impecable doggy manners. I would expect an aggressive dog to be muzzled or walked away from areas where its likely to come in to direct contact. (think Bev has a secure field for Shady)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Right!

I think you question was, "why do people allow young puppies off lead"

And the answers have been directed towards that.

Personally the sooner you allow a puppy of lead the better (within a window) you have, to teach recall.

Very young puppies are insecure this is the ideal time to teach recall, as they grow and break the apron strings, this is the time recall may become a problem, so if you have left off lead recall till them, you are making life so much harder for yourself.

BTW.. I do agree with the highlighted, you have to be careful what dogs are around when you are training, always best to do it with dogs you know in a safe place.

Originally Posted by stanfan
I've been thinking....I need to let him off don't I??? Ok, I'm going to give it a go later
Yes , the sooner you start the better, believe me, a teenage Boxer that has no recall is not going to be fun.

Attach a long training lead to his collar (to give you moral support) dont let him get any further away then the length of the lead.... this way you can put your foot on it.

But you have a window now, use it , he is still very much in the apron strings attached mode, dont wait til he breaks them
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »