Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 06:24 PM

Anything I can do for stinky older dog?

Poor Selkie... She's continent, but seems to leak wee a bit all the time.. I have shaved her round her bits and pieces and down the inside of her back legs, but she's still just so stinky!

I have bathed her twice in the last fortnight, but she's terrible to bath, she hates it and her back legs cant support the weight of her wet fur, I wash her in warm water in the outside plastic paddling pool using odour control shampoo. She is also sprayed once a day with odour control leave in spray.

She is fed Skinners salmon and rice with water and a third of a tin of tripe mixed through this hasn't changed. She is also currently fed a handful of all bran every meal at the vets suggestion to help her hold her stool. As she can't always feel a soft poo and can't get outside in time, since having the bran in her diet she has rarely pooed in the house (it was getting to be a twice a day thing before).

Is there anything anyone can recommend either to change her diet to make her wee less stinky, or any product that could clean her up and get the smell out of the carpet and her bedding.

We have tried raw feeding before and I can't afford it, I just don't have the freezer space and cant afford to keep buying fresh. Plus Pharaoh wouldn't take to it, he would only eat chicken wings and choked on the bones
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 06:46 PM
poor love, she must be known as stinky Selkie and that's not nice!

Is she on any medication for the leaking thing? (Like Propalin for instance) I know that you say that she is continent, but if she is dribbling from time to time then perhaps it is time for something medical to stop this. It might be worth a go, and at her time of life anything that makes things more pleasant for her, and helps to keep her dignity, has to be worth a shot.

Personally, I wouldn't change her diet if it suits her in all other respects, because to do so might just open up a whole new can of worms.

Constant bathing might make her sore, and as you say that she doesn't like it anyway then it is clearly not something that you want to do any more than you are already.

I do feel for you - this is not an easy one, and I hope that someone else comes up with a good solution.

There is a very good spray that I got from the vets when we first had Jimmi and he was peeing everywhere.........it really does remove both the stain and the smell, but I can't remember what it was called! Sorry - but maybe your vet has a similar thing
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Try wiping her rear end and inside legs down with baby wipes I use them on my Staffords you don't have to get the expensive ones.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:01 PM
You can buy large dog wipes, to wipe her down with.....

Maybe speak to your vet, there maybe some medication out there, that can help.

Bless her xx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Definately worth a vet trip - I'd never chalk something up to "just" old age, the incontinence could be caused by something treatable. Even if it's not, there are medications, as someone mentioned there's Propalin, but I know there's at least one other too (can't think of the name at the minute). I know someone had good success by switching to grain-free kibble but they had to be careful even with what treats they gave so you'd have to be strict - if the tin of tripe you refer to is Butcher's tripe then I'd probably cut that out for starters as I looked up the ingredients for a thread the other day and it's got a few different vague ingredients so would be hard to pinpoint if something in that wasn't agreeing with her.
Someone on another forum with an incontinent dog swears by Vetbed for the dog's bed/sleeping spots as any moisture passes through it - she puts puppy pads underneath to absorb the wee that passes through.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Krlyr, - Vetbed is brilliant full stop! Especially for older dogs, because not only does it wick away all moisture but it also helps with aching joints etc. I love the stuff, and would sleep on it myself in the depths of winter if I could find a big enough bit
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Poor Selkie - My Meggie who is now 12 started to have little leakes of urine about a year ago - and she has been on Propalin ever since with no problems.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:15 PM
What about the pants they sell for bitches, with a baby nappy in it?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Try wiping her rear end and inside legs down with baby wipes I use them on my Staffords you don't have to get the expensive ones.
Baby wipes are brilliant, aren't they. I use them to clean up both ends of Pereg after she has had a Grand Mal seizure. She seems to find having her face and throat wiped [from the icky froth] soothing, and will let me wipe her bum, hind legs and tail which get messy when she loses bladder and bowel control.

Much easier than trying to shower her, especially as she is so shaky and confused after the seizure. Takes away any possible pong as well.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Thank you all for your replies...

Update

Selkie has been back to the vet, but not great news.. The vet thinks that her loss of control is due tot he creeping paralysis that started in her tail about a year ago due to a small tumour she has on her spine. It is currently not causing any other or any more serious problems and she is still mobile and happy so the vet doesn't think it is time for any more drastic action, but it looks like medication wont help. It is however also meaning she cant lift her tail and this is not helping, so my poor polar bear is now sporting a lion tail

In other news I have found a miracle spray!!! Its called RX66 Bio-enzymatic Odour digester... It claims to be a "synergistic blend of over 60 billion live enzyme producing bacteria per litre, which digest the organic matter causing foul odours." It is designed for use around urinals, pet runs concrete and will clean any organic material including urine... I treated the hall and stairs today (the bootom of the stairs is Selkie's main sleeping spot) and its wonderful!... Clean fresh smell for the first time in months! I only bought 500ml.. I'm going straight back online to order the gallon drum...

The tripe I feed her is country choice... Much better ingredients list than Butchers... I noticed the vague ingredients too and she is already on a grain free diet just in case. Skinners Salmon and rice is gluten free.

I am definitely going to get some baby wipes.. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself! Sometimes you just need to hear a thing from another person to go... aaaaaaaah of course!

Vet bed is on her list for payday.

Thanks to everyone and keep the advice coming...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >