Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am so sorry I know just how you are feeling. How about one of the ruff wear harnesses that has a handle on the top we found this invaluable for Ollie in the beginning when he came home he couldn't rise on his own and we had to put that on him and take the handle to help him get to his feet. Once up with our help and holding the handle he was able to just about walk outside to do his business which helped him a lot. Once the steroids kicked in within a couple of weeks he was managing on his own.

Steroids do make the sphincter (sp) muscle very weak. I do not think Ollies harness would fit a greyhound they are very different in width it is adjustable but if you think it would it would fit you are welcome to borrow it. They are not cheap to buy.
Just measured Wiz for a harness and he would need a medium and i'm guessing Ollie's is not a medium! Thank you for the offer to borrow though. xxxxxx

Now need to find one quickly........

Thanks for your support. xxxxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
Just measured Wiz for a harness and he would need a medium and i'm guessing Ollie's is not a medium! Thank you for the offer to borrow though. xxxxxx

Now need to find one quickly........

Thanks for your support. xxxxxxx
Ollies is large sorry. I googled ruff wear and quite a few options to purchase from different places came up. We already had the harness I brought it originally when Ollie was a juvenile and started to lay down on walks we thought for naughty reasons we now have different ideas but he got a bit stroppy at times so the handle was invaluable. Only took a few weeks and he didn't need it anymore till he was ill. What a god send it became and the vet school were grateful to have it for him while he was there. It cost about £30 2-21/2 years ago. Also it is good for helping them in and out of the car do you have a ramp if he goes in the boot ? You can steady them or help lift the front half in then deal with the back end easier.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I am sure MD will update us as soon as possible. In the meantime, huge hugs and lots more positive vibes for Wizard. Such a special boy. Get well soon darling boy XxxxxxxxX
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Get well thoughts for Wizard.

One of my whippets Owen was resently diagnosed with a similar problem. He suddenly became very unsteady on his feet and had the appearance of being away with the fairies at time. We took him to the vets and he diagnosed either a tumour or a disc problem or possibly a trapped nerve in his spine. We decided not to xray as the vet said he was doubtfull it would show anything up.

We decided to hit it hard with steriods he had a high dose for 10 days then the dose was reduced by half. He is much better now although for a while he just seemed stable. Some times he has bad days and others are good days.

I have just been away for a few days and left my OH in charge of the dogs he accidently gave Owen a double dose of his steriods I'd already given him his tablet before we went out and he gave him another later in the morning. When I returned he seemed a lot better than he he did before we went away. I 'm not sure if it was the double dose or because I hadn't seen him for 4 days.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ollies is large sorry. I googled ruff wear and quite a few options to purchase from different places came up. We already had the harness I brought it originally when Ollie was a juvenile and started to lay down on walks we thought for naughty reasons we now have different ideas but he got a bit stroppy at times so the handle was invaluable. Only took a few weeks and he didn't need it anymore till he was ill. What a god send it became and the vet school were grateful to have it for him while he was there. It cost about £30 2-21/2 years ago. Also it is good for helping them in and out of the car do you have a ramp if he goes in the boot ? You can steady them or help lift the front half in then deal with the back end easier.
Got one ordered it looks fab and just what i think is going to help him.xxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I am sure MD will update us as soon as possible. In the meantime, huge hugs and lots more positive vibes for Wizard. Such a special boy. Get well soon darling boy XxxxxxxxX
Thanks Nes going to update below. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Get well thoughts for Wizard.

One of my whippets Owen was resently diagnosed with a similar problem. He suddenly became very unsteady on his feet and had the appearance of being away with the fairies at time. We took him to the vets and he diagnosed either a tumour or a disc problem or possibly a trapped nerve in his spine. We decided not to xray as the vet said he was doubtfull it would show anything up.

We decided to hit it hard with steriods he had a high dose for 10 days then the dose was reduced by half. He is much better now although for a while he just seemed stable. Some times he has bad days and others are good days.

I have just been away for a few days and left my OH in charge of the dogs he accidently gave Owen a double dose of his steriods I'd already given him his tablet before we went out and he gave him another later in the morning. When I returned he seemed a lot better than he he did before we went away. I 'm not sure if it was the double dose or because I hadn't seen him for 4 days.
Sorry to hear about Owen, but great to hear he as made progress. How long has he been like this and what did your vet says about how he will be long term? Whippety hugs from Sox. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks to you all for your support and vibes. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A little update and some good news, my husband lifted Wiz into the garden (he's getting good at lifting him now)
and laid him on a bed i was out there pottering about doing a bit of gardening and keeping him company. I popped into the kitchen to refill my water bottle when i turned round Wiz was gone from his bed! I shouted my husband in panic and we found him up the garden standing but rooted to the spot looking petrified. So nobody witnessed this but somehow as soon as my back was turned he managed to move, he did a wee and not 100% but think he pooped aswell! I was most pleased about the latter as he hadn't been since early tuesday morning. My husband then had to go and rescue him from up the garden and popped him back on his bed. He seemed much perkier to be outside

So we have progress, he is very unsteady but can stand for about a minute without help until his front legs folds under and then his back legs go froggy and wobbley!! Got a ruff wear harness on order thanks to a recommendation from Lynn (big thanks to her) xxxxxxxxxxxx This should help him immensely and get him strong again.

Please more vibes for my boy, he must be feeling them because he has made progress. xxxxxxxxxxxx
Plus he has eaten lots had his tablet and drunk plenty of water.xxxxxxxxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Lucy you have no idea how many vibes are coming from this house
It is great news that Wiz managed to get up for the toilet. I hope he can keep this up and continues to improve.
Love to you all xx
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Lucy you have no idea how many vibes are coming from this house
It is great news that Wiz managed to get up for the toilet. I hope he can keep this up and continues to improve.
Love to you all xx
Thanks Jenny, and i really hope so too, he's such a special, gentle giant, it's so very hard to see him like this

Thanks you for your support, it is very much appreciated.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Am really glad Wizard has managed to get up n about a bit, hope he keeps getting stronger x
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Yay yay well done Wizard, so pleased to hear he has managed to stand and walk a little on his own. Well done big lad, We are all rooting for you here (even my OH who doesnt do dog forums and gets rather fed up with my constant cooing over piccys ) xxxxxxxxx
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »