Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
For the main part, I hardly ever take treats out on a walk, only if I know we will be doing some training so they very rarely get them. I dont treat for things like everyday recall or sitting or waiting etc because they've learnt all that now and are way past getting treated for normal stuff.
Same here, I don't bother with treats coz my dog just spits them out or chokes on them coz she's too hyper out on walks and the other one is a right pain and would start going up to everybody we meet sniffing their pockets

Mine get their treats as and when at home, just purely for being good, then they go out in the garden and leave me alone to get on with stuff. Zena gets a cheese filled bone kong in the evenings which keeps her quiet for a few minutes, and they always get treats before bed. It's very wrong I know, but they don't have to work for them, but that's only because they do everything I ask of them either at home or out and about so that's how I work it, it's the arrangement we have together Having said that though, I do have to have treats to hand for grooming Zena, otherwise she's not so keen on that, but normally the ball will suffice for a quick session!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Mine hardly ever get treats :S
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:22 PM
no idea!!

Mainly he gets play with a ball once we get somewhere appropriate and praise the rest of the time. He is getting a bit more now (treats) though since we hit a couple of stumbling blocks and its working ok but I think on the whole I prefer using the ball.

It really all depends.

He dosn't really get 'set' daily treats either.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:31 PM
When training & I take an emergency treat when out for walk "just in case" sometimes she won't get in the car
Oh & when I'm going out I give her one as I go!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't. I use treats when they are young and desired behaviours are being achieved but once established they have to make do with my approval. Poor deprived dogs
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:21 PM
phoebe gets a denta stick at bed time. usually there is a roasted bone hanging around the place and gets treats when she earns one
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Jake mainly gets treats on walk for recall and doing as he is told! He also gets a wee biscuit when he gets left on his own, and he gets chews for treats just whenever i feel like giving one
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
no idea!!

Mainly he gets play with a ball once we get somewhere appropriate and praise the rest of the time. He is getting a bit more now (treats) though since we hit a couple of stumbling blocks and its working ok but I think on the whole I prefer using the ball.

It really all depends.

He dosn't really get 'set' daily treats either.
By treats I simply meant rewards.(:
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I always have pockets full of training treats for such things as recall out on a walk.

The dogs sometimes have to work for each mouthful of their dinner. Bit yucky as they are on raw so can only do it with minced meat.

Polo will have a big chunk of garlic sausage cut into about two thousand pieces for his reactive dog class tomorrow. High rates of reinforcement for stressy situations. That will count as his breakie! About to start chopping shortly...

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't. I use treats when they are young and desired behaviours are being achieved but once established they have to make do with my approval. Poor deprived dogs
I wish I had your resolve, Shirley......

Here's my "shameful" list....

Half a Rodeo after breakfast
One marrowbone biscuit as I leave for work
Half a flat chewstick at lunchtime
Two small biscuits about 6.30
Two tiny Nature's Menu treats before bed......

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2