View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mikej411
New Member!
Male 

16-04-2013, 04:18 PM

1st time Boston Terrier owner. Questions on insurance, heartworm, petsmart puppy plan

Hello,

I am a first time dog owner. I just got a 9 week Boston Terrier. I am unsure about a few things and would appreciate any help from people with experience.

1. I have read about the common genetic problems of Boston Terriers. Is it worth it to get insurance for these types of problems. Does insurance cover luxating patella and eye problems? And if so, what is a good insurance company and what are the prices like?

2. I am taking him to Petsmart's Banfield vet. They have a puppy plan that costs 450 dollars and it includes all first year shots and vaccines, and all vet visits are free in that year. I think it will save me money in the long run. The vet mentioned something about heartworm prevention pills or shots. My parents dogs never had this. Is this something new and should i get this?

3. The vet mentioned that some owners of Bostons get the stonetic nares surgery just so he can breathe better even though it is not bothering him. Should i do this? He said they wont charge me the anesthesia fee if I do the stonetic nares surgery with the nuetering that i will be getting. Stonetic nares will cost 175 and the nuetering will cost 275. So it doesnt seem like a bad deal.

4. For Bostons with Soft Palate issues, is laser surgery the best way to fix this? Is the old way dangerous?