Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
But if you know they have just had half a pork pie you just can feed less that night to compensate
She didn't eat it, but more to the point I'm talking about my deceased Labrador in regards to excess weight, not my current Spaniel. You asked where the food comes from, I answered - simple!

I have no problems controlling my own dogs weight when left to my own devices, but as someone else said training your own family can be a different ball game entirely.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
How many people have gone out on a search for a food with a different nutritional analysis to combat weight problems without drastically cutting down food?

I went on a search a while ago and found a food low in fat, low in protein but bulky and with all the vitamins/minerals for the dogs. Well, there are lots out there when you start looking and comparing, but it meant my dogs don't got hungry.

I also think it works well with very hungry dogs to split their meals to several times a day. I also think soaking dry food makes it seem/feel more bulky when eaten. I know my dogs seem satisfied with less if I soak it all first.

There is a big difference between obese and a few extra kilos, but just wondered if anyone would be offended if a vet, not intimately knowing your dogs' home life/diet, mentioned that your dog was a few kilos over the ideal and what do you feed etc?

The VN (sorry can't remember who on here) is dead right in that vets should now be using a system of body condition scoring, using touch. It's important to note that dogs, like people, carry weight differently and it's possible for one dog to have more of a waist than another but actually be more overweight because it's actually got a thick layer of fat over it's ribs!

Body condition scoring works to look at various different areas and indicators on a dog, and assess from those what BCS the dog has, and whether it is overweight or not.

Coat should definitely not affect the BCS.
Again not an excuse but a reason - yes we have looked into less calorific foods but with so many allergies Duncan is restricted in what he can have and with Mollie being gluten intolerant finding one food they can both have has been a bit of a nightmare.
We have replaced a lot of their food with carrots which helps but after 3 large carrots a day for a week or two Mollie tends to get a bit fed up and as she is 10 now we find it hard to say to her it's carrot or nothing.

I know the thoery of being cruel to be kind and I can easily apply that to humans - not so much to dogs as they have no choices and don't IMO understand the notion.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
cos most vets dont have a clue when it comes to body-weight(well all but one that ive worked with)... you stick to your guns
Which is interesting, because at the start of the thread, people were saying the only person that is qualified/allowed to say their dog is overweight, is their vet!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I hate to see overweight dogs, it upsets me. Our springer would eat EVERYTHING if he could, he's a total guts! But we don't let him cos it's our responsibility to make sure he gets what he needs. You wouldn't let a child eat sweets all the time even if they wanted to.

My mum has a lab who is a bit overweight..not hugely, but bigger than she should be. But my mum doesn't see it cos most of the labs round her way are walking barrels so she thinks that her dog is ok as she isn't like them. It's been the cause of arguments but I think I'm finally getting through to her!

Dee
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..... oh dear Dobermann ,dont get me started on obese cats!! good job this is dogsey
Hmm yes, my sister's 14 month old cats are getting a bit lardy and I pointed this out and helped her to design a feeding regime and assess their diet to try and prevent them getting bigger and help them to lose weight.

She went on a cat forum about it, and everyone there said that vets don't know what they're talking about (I'm a vet student) and cats are supposed to have a big flap of skin on their tum that swings when they walk

Scary no?

That was part of the reason for me posting, it's not so bad with dog owners but with some other species (horses being another) owners just have no idea what a healthy BCS looks like, and they take it as a personal insult and say nobody is qualified to comment when it's gently pointed out to them.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 05:09 PM
cats are supposed to have a big flap of skin on their tum that swings when they walk
They should have a 'skirt' so that would be right. If they get fat they tend not to have that. Its not their actual tum, its between their tum and legs when viewed from the side, no idea if I described that right !
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 05:10 PM
They should have a 'skirt' so that would be right. If they get fat they tend not to have that.
my cats arent fat and they dont have that...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 05:18 PM
They should have a 'skirt' so that would be right. If they get fat they tend not to have that. Its not their actual tum, its between their tum and legs when viewed from the side, no idea if I described that right !
.... eh?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I think not knowing what a healthy dog looks like is a big issue.

I did a case with DA goldie recently, I though he was overweight but the owners thought he was fine, I'm sure they thought my collie was too skinny!

Adam
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I have a dog who is overweight and always has been but it hasnt been through carelessness on my part. How do you exercise a dog who isnt interested in chasing balls, running around with the other dogs and just wants to live life at a sedentry pace? Of course, his meals get carefully monitored, he doesnt steal food, he doesnt get fed titbits or scraps but still, the weight doesnt shift.

I have been told that he is overweight, very recently in fact and I have to say it does annoy me. People automatically assume that if your dog is overweight then you feed them too much and it hits a raw nerve with me since I do my best to get the weight off but it's almost impossible.

I keep a regular check on each dogs weight at the pet shop, feel their ribs etc on an almost daily basis, am obsessed about what they eat so I reserve the right to be hacked off if somebody glibly tells me my dog is fat.
Page 10 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »