View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I think it depends on the individual dog, i walk two ckcs brothers both fed the same both exercised the same and one is bigger then the other, my first vet told me Dobermanns should look like Greyhounds weight wise
Being obese is completely different to being a couple of kgs over the ideal - wonder how well owners control their own food whilst dieting thier dogs
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
I think it depends on the individual dog, i walk two ckcs brothers both fed the same both exercised the same and one is bigger then the other, my first vet told me Dobermanns should look like Greyhounds weight wise
Being obese is completely different to being a couple of kgs over the ideal - wonder how well owners control their own food whilst dieting thier dogs
Ooooh gosh, takes me back to when I bumped into an older lady with a chocolate Lab, he looked to be twice Indie's weight, but no bigger frame or height wise, and she was adamant Indie COULDN'T possibly be pedigree because she was slim, and had a waist. Funnily enough, the owner did reflect the condition of her dog, although obviously a huge sweeping generalisation for this one instance, but it did make me wonder if some people who aren't overly bothered about carrying a bit of extra padding themselves, aren't that bothered if their pets do as well??
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 06:27 PM
How many people have gone out on a search for a food with a different nutritional analysis to combat weight problems without drastically cutting down food?

I went on a search a while ago and found a food low in fat, low in protein but bulky and with all the vitamins/minerals for the dogs. Well, there are lots out there when you start looking and comparing, but it meant my dogs don't got hungry.

I also think it works well with very hungry dogs to split their meals to several times a day. I also think soaking dry food makes it seem/feel more bulky when eaten. I know my dogs seem satisfied with less if I soak it all first.

There is a big difference between obese and a few extra kilos, but just wondered if anyone would be offended if a vet, not intimately knowing your dogs' home life/diet, mentioned that your dog was a few kilos over the ideal and what do you feed etc?

The VN (sorry can't remember who on here) is dead right in that vets should now be using a system of body condition scoring, using touch. It's important to note that dogs, like people, carry weight differently and it's possible for one dog to have more of a waist than another but actually be more overweight because it's actually got a thick layer of fat over it's ribs!

Body condition scoring works to look at various different areas and indicators on a dog, and assess from those what BCS the dog has, and whether it is overweight or not.

Coat should definitely not affect the BCS.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 06:37 PM
My vet does just this, puts his hands on the dog to assess whether that weight is 'right' for them. He was happy with the both of mine when they had their boosters a few weeks ago, noted their overall condition as 'excellent'. They even got a 'good' in the behaviour column
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 06:38 PM
We saw quite a few "lardy" dogs today on our walk. Cherry's favourite doggy friend who we haven't seen for a year is a Scottie called Hamish and he is very fat now. He was chubby last year and his owner Cyril said to me that he had put on weight as he gets fed too many treats. I did say then that he looked fat but wouldn't have mentioned it other wise as I wouldn't want to upset him!

Another fat dog was a yellow Lab who wobbled as she walked and it looked quite a young dog too. Didn't stop it running around and playing with the other dogs though but I would worry about the extra strain this puts on joints for Labs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie
I think it depends on the individual dog, i walk two ckcs brothers both fed the same both exercised the same and one is bigger then the other
But isn't that the problem? That one is bigger than the other, weight-wise but that they eat the same? and exercise the same? If one dosn't need as much food, why feed the same? Kinder to cut it down. Or do you mean overall, one is taller?

There is a big difference between obese and a few extra kilos, but just wondered if anyone would be offended if a vet, not intimately knowing your dogs' home life/diet, mentioned that your dog was a few kilos over the ideal and what do you feed etc?
I had a vet tell me my dog shouldnt put on any more weight and could do with losing a little as he had put on a few kilos but actually you could still feel his ribs (which he didnt do at all) so I never bothered one way or the other, (If I can feel his ribs, hips, spine then where is he meant to lose the weight from?) years ago the vet told me that my cat was a bit overweight and put him on weight control food and he lost a kilo, then I just cut back on normal food a bit and ever since he has remained slim. Even my greediest, laziest, most prone to gaining weight cat is only able to get to a certain condition as I control how much food my pets have access to and if she has been stealing from other pets then she gets a tiny bit to compensate what is left behind by them being eaten by her.

I agree, feeling them is the best way to tell what condition they are in. I was a bit like 'are you joking?' about the dogs weight but was a little shocked about the cat being overweight but not really offended as such, just hadnt realised he was considered a 'tubby' as he was so much slimmer than some...
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:50 PM
One is taller and a heavier build bone wise.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:53 PM
..... oh dear Dobermann ,dont get me started on obese cats!! good job this is dogsey
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh, I thought at first that you meant chunkier, if you get my meaning, just as well I asked lol
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..... oh dear Dobermann ,dont get me started on obese cats!! good job this is dogsey
just for the record, NONE of my cats are obese and thats with two who are prone to weight gain and I'm sure they are harder to 'control' food wise lol so if that can be done....lol
Page 9 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »