Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
This has nothing to do with antis/viloence/kicks...

It is about disciplining you dog for acting like a dog!
If you tell a dog off for growling/lip culing at another dog when there is a reason to do it (bum sniffing etc) you are supressing a natural behaviuor and so not allowing your dog to live by the rules of its own species!

He has to take it when he is growled at, but he is not allowed to protect his own personal space from (possibly rude) invaisons of it!

ETA - that is something SE would never expect from a dog!
My dogs would most certainly make it plain that they would not like an unknown dog so close to their personal areas. I don't know that I would discipline them for doing that (though I definitely would not allow them to be physically aggressive, I do expect them to show their dislike for unwelcome behaviour from a dog outside of their own pack). I think mine would likely give a "telling off" yap! I would allow that, followed by "quiet now" and that would be okay. That is apart from Tiani who is a total tart and always greets dogs with her bottom and would be happy to be sniffed, in fact she'd be ecstatic Can't comment on SE as I know very little about him

My dogs don't tend to do the sniffing of personal areas to outside dogs. They don't seem interested.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I have owned 20 dogs (just did a head count) and helped train a lot more,as well as having visiting dogs in and out all the time.

Several have had problems, all have been totally different from each other.

I have had many dogs running together as a group and I do believe they have a heirachy---which I am outside.

I am. after all, a human not a dog If I ask them to do something I do expect them to do it,if they don't I look for a reason and we negotiate or I ask again and expect them to do it then.

When they are learning the rules---as the pup is,they are liberally provided with titbits and/or toys as rewards for what I want them to do and they are distracted from things I would rather they didn't do.

If I say 'no' I have failed. It isn't always easy and it can be challenging and needs more thought than the way we used to train and teach.However it is SO much more fun for the owner and the pup/dog

There are things which are not negotiable---like an instant down.

Among themselves they are allowed to sort out where they are unless i feel it is getting too heavy----in which case I distract----usually it is Celt setting Champa up.

Tassle has higher expectations than I do and when she dog sits my dogs behave accordingly and the negotiation is less.

It works for me and I see no reason why it can't work for someone with one dog to train---even if it IS a 'special different' sort of dog. They are ALL special and different.

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post

I never allow dogs on beds or in bedrooms. They are human spaces in our house. However, I do allow them on the sofa, when I say they can. They even have their own comfy throws on the sofa for them to snuggle up with when they are allowed
That is sweet! No need for the

Tee hee!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I do Wys ! What it is is this ... God, I sound like that character off Catherine Tait, the one who's always doing charity events !! Tai is such a good boy, he doesn't take the water, you can allow him to go through the door first, come up on the bed ... strictly by invitation only ... and it does not give him feelings of grandeur above his station !!

However, with Hal it was different. In his latter years, I allowed him on the bed for cuddles, and he DID take the water as a consequence ... my fault entirely. But Tai, bless him, he just accepts the invitation with dignity, and when it's time for him to get down, a click of the fingers and down he gets.

It still knocks me sideways to have such an obedient dog, I still haven't got used to it, and it's 2 years this month since the old git died.
My brain is not working today. It took me ages to realise what taking the water meant!

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
My dogs would most certainly make it plain that they would not like an unknown dog so close to their personal areas. I don't know that I would discipline them for doing that (though I definitely would not allow them to be physically aggressive, I do expect them to show their dislike for unwelcome behaviour from a dog outside of their own pack). I think mine would likely give a "telling off" yap! I would allow that, followed by "quiet now" and that would be okay. That is apart from Tiani who is a total tart and always greets dogs with her bottom and would be happy to be sniffed, in fact she'd be ecstatic Can't comment on SE as I know very little about him

My dogs don't tend to do the sniffing of personal areas to outside dogs. They don't seem interested.
I was replying to Gnashers post about not allowing Tai to growl or lip curl at other dogs.....My dogs are not particularly interested in sniffing others when out and about either - accept the adolescent Lab who is very rude about it and has to be got hold of and prevented from doing so at the moment. A lie down till they have passed is working until he learns some more manners.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I was replying to Gnashers post about not allowing Tai to growl or lip curl at other dogs.....My dogs are not particularly interested in sniffing others when out and about either - accept the adolescent Lab who is very rude about it and has to be got hold of and prevented from doing so at the moment. A lie down till they have passed is working until he learns some more manners.

Sorry Tassle, you quoted me, so I thought you were talking to me Was nice to chat, anyways

I'm glad you said that your dogs are not into sniffing other dogs. Thought mine were being anti-social or something They do sniff around dogs faces if they come up but never go round to their rears. Like I said though, Tiani does this "in your face" thing to other dogs with her bum, tail wagging madly. I think she's just telling them that she's friendly and means no harm but it does look funny
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey BenMcF, I certainly don't have you on ignore. There is only one person I have on "ignore" and it isn't anybody that I clash with. Just somebody that I can't be bothered to listen to, because they have nothing to say that I'm remotely interested in

And yes, I know that you are not saying that we are cruel I enjoy your posts and I always read them. I've obviously not replied in the past for you to think you are on ignore. I apologise for that but things move so fast on the CM threads that I don't always keep up (I'm usually nipping on and off the computer as it's summer hols and the kids are around all day). However, I have been accused of "kicking" my dogs on here before, purely because I follow CM - stupid I know - but it has been said
I grudgingly admit that I do too !! I particularly love Ben's name, and her dog, he looks and sounds gorgeous.

Sorry guys, as things were getting a little heated in some of the conversations and I was wracking my brains to figure out what I had said that was so rude - but I left another forum because every time I posted I was shot down for being a know it all so I guess I was just getting a bit sensitive and taking things personaly

Gnasher - you said it on the JD thread, but fair nuff if it was just a windup - I know you were trying to support her

What !! Moi !! Post things just to wind up the situation? Never !! Every word I say is the gospel, I swear. If I did say that, then that WAS a wind up !!

Good point about the motivation vis a vis northern breeds. The biggest trigger you can trip for them is the pulling trigger. They love to pull sledges or rigs on wheels, they love to run as a pack - eg Tai loves to run with us whilst we are on the mountain bikes. Hal used to love going out riding with me on my horse. Anything that involves group movement, really turns them on. You have their full attention then, and they listen. This of course applies to most breeds of dogs I'm sure, but the northern guys really do love any pack stuff!
Yup its just finding what the button is that triggers them isnt it?? must be lovely to see them running, I know Ben adores coming out along with the bike with me - it is something totaly special as a human to be keeping up with the dog, really feeling the joy of just hurtling through the countryside together, I almost fall over tree roots cos I spend too much time just looking at his grinning face

Originally Posted by rune View Post

If I say 'no' I have failed. It isn't always easy and it can be challenging and needs more thought than the way we used to train and teach.However it is SO much more fun for the owner and the pup/dog
They are ALL special and different.

rune
So totaly true - I try and not get angry with my dogs when they do something I dont want - I try and figure out what I did wrong for them not to understand me
and cos I tend not to be angry and telling them off much at all a shout is instantly obayed cos it is so unusual - and it is only used for something dangerous

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
My brain is not working today. It took me ages to realise what taking the water meant!

Wys
x
me too!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

They are usually not the sort of dogs that can be forced, they need to think it's their idea.

As I said, it's seen in many breeds not just wolfey ones
DALMATIANS!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 04:24 AM
i think in general with the easier breeds, once they have been taught something, youve more or lrss taught it. with more challenging breeds you have to work harder keep up the motivation!& work harder to "back up" your work.

Also the more you do it the better, everyones first dog is abit crap & you make your mistakes, each one you learn from.

To the forced meeting/growling.

Id never tell my dog off for growing if a unwanted dog was sniffing its ass, id hold my dogs colar, put their head betwwen my legs, to stop any possible biting till the owner gets their dog away. Growling is a natural dog behaviour i see no point in stopping it, if you do you could have a no warning biter
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i think in general with the easier breeds, once they have been taught something, youve more or lrss taught it. with more challenging breeds you have to work harder keep up the motivation!& work harder to "back up" your work.

Also the more you do it the better, everyones first dog is abit crap & you make your mistakes, each one you learn from.

To the forced meeting/growling.

Id never tell my dog off for growing if a unwanted dog was sniffing its ass, id hold my dogs colar, put their head betwwen my legs, to stop any possible biting till the owner gets their dog away. Growling is a natural dog behaviour i see no point in stopping it, if you do you could have a no warning biter
i totaly agree with you there on both points mish!
Page 122 of 125 « First < 22 72 112 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 >