Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 07:38 AM

Mayday Hospital appalling treatment!

Sorry bit of a rant

Some of you may remember my bothers MIL is in hospital, after having some surgery her bowel was perforated and she had to have an extra colostomy bag.

Well, yesterday she got very worried as the bag had filled up and she needed help emptying it, she called a nurse who replied "I only have one pair of hands and will get to you, when i get to you" well, the bag burst and she was left crying and covered in its contents!!!

She also has to have extra pillows to help her breathing, one nurse past her and asked "why do you have 4 pillows?, you are only allowed 2", then proceeded to take 2 away, leaving her in difficulty breathing.

What the hell is going on????? I thought nurses were supposed to care about people, apparently not at the Mayday Hospital.

We are all fuming
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I am so sorry to read this, your poor MIL (brother's)

This is another case of not enough hands on deck, It really infuriates & saddens me.

Basic care, that is what is needed
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 07:48 AM
That is so awful, I'd make a complaint straight away! My mum was in hospital for 9 months at one point, and one night just after her 2nd major op, she had a reaction to the morphine and basically started to arrest, a nurse looked at her (she was turning blue at this point!) and said she was fine! It was only because the lady opposite raised the alarm a second time and another nurse came to see her, that she survived!!!!!!!!!

Nurses are supposed to care, and there are many many many who do and who are wonderful at their jobs, but its the odd one or two, who really let the side down!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
We will be making a complaint but she doesnt want us to do it while she is still in there as she is worried they will take it out on her.

She was also given paracetamol even though it said in her notes she is allergic, she was covered in blisters
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear that we had similar things when my Dad was in Hospital ill a few years ago.
It is very upsetting for all concerned no wonder you are angry. Wishing your MIL well.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, it's not nicknamed "Maydie" for nothing. It's my local hospital and the main reason I'm very grateful I get private health with my company.
They're dire.
Hugs Jules - you must be steaming.....
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Unfortunately, it's not nicknamed "Maydie" for nothing. It's my local hospital and the main reason I'm very grateful I get private health with my company.
They're dire.
Hugs Jules - you must be steaming.....
I thought you would know the hospital, my dad has the same opinion but she didnt really have any choice.

steaming?????? just a bit
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
We will be making a complaint but she doesnt want us to do it while she is still in there as she is worried they will take it out on her.

She was also given paracetamol even though it said in her notes she is allergic, she was covered in blisters
That's shocking
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I would request a meeting with the sister of the ward and explain the situation to her. The running of the ward is down to her/him and she/he should be made aware of the problems. I know she will worry that this might affect her care but she can't continue being neglected. It is so hard!
I hope your brothers MIL starts getting the care she deserves and is on the mend soon xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:19 AM
How dreadful
Nursing is no longer the "caring" profession it was, mainly I think because of staff shortages and more and more being added to their work load, jobs that were once done by doctors are now expected of nurses.
I am so glad that I don't have to put up with these things anymore and can only hope that when my time comes, things will have swung round again.
I agree with Lionhound you need to speak to the ward sister, (while the lady is still in) followed by your complaints in writing.
Good luck and I hope things improve all round
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >