View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
You mentioned that you are not that experienced and have only ridden riding school horses and friends horses. Well a thoroughbred horse can be a totally different creature to ride than your average hack! He may be very calm, but you need to check that he is happy hacking alone and in company. Is he happy to go first or last etc etc.

I really think a trial period is a must so that you can try him out properly and know he is the right horse for you.

If you are to share any vet costs, I personally would want to have him 'vetted' to check that he hasn't got any current problems that you could be expected to pay for.

I tend to err on the cautious side as you can probably tell

He looks lovely in the photo.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
^^ i think if i had a horse available to share/part loan i'd tell them where to go if they wanted it vetted!!

fair enough if it was full loan, but if i had a horse available for happy hacking 3 days a week i'd find that odd!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
He looks gorgeous, very lovely

I haven't had to sort out anything to do with loaning out a horse for years but these would be important things to consider, in my mind:

- Do not do anything just based on a verbal contract. Ever. Make sure you sign something and that anything you sign is up to your standards. If it isn't or you think something is a bit fishy, walk away. There is always another horse and another owner willing to loan.

- Make sure there is a trial period included in the agreement. There's nothing worse than being stuck loaning a horse that you aren't compatible with.

- Make sure you know what days you will have him. It's fine for the owner to say that she wants him ridden 2 or 3 days a week but she really needs to set up something more concrete than that so that you know where you stand. It's fair enough for her to ask to change days once in a while but you don't want that to happen every week.

- Know what your responsibilities are. Are you required to pay for vets bills if he gets hurt on a ride with you? Who pays for his feed? Do you need to feed him or are you just there to ride/groom/turn him out?

- Make sure he is suitable for what you want. There's no sense loaning a horse for hacking if he is scared of cars. Also, do not believe everything the owners say when it comes to temperament. Make sure you check for yourself. I have friends who will describe their horses as 'bombproof' when I know that they throw them all the time. People have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to their horses.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you!

Helen
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Sorry, point taken about vetting. 100% my fault as I only skimmed the post and thought it was for full loan. I loaned one of mine years ago and although my horse was living elsewhere we still shared any vets fees. Hence me saying getting him vetted. But .... no don't as I agree it would be the quickest way of pi**ing the owner off!!!!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Good luck with him!

I have had a few loans over the years and they have been great! It is a cheaper way to stay in the saddle when you can't afford one or have the time for one of your own. You say you don't have a lot of experience except with school horses and friends horses so a loan would be a great way to get to learn all that it takes to own one, with costs and stable management.

Hope it works out and you and the owner get along and come to a good arrangement, as everyone else has said make sure you tie up all the responsibilities, bills (shoes and vets) and what days you can have, and what you can do with the horse straight away.

Also a must is to get riders insurance so you are covered in case the worst happens.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
^^ and third party. Incase the horse kicks a car when you are riding. BHS insures you instantly if you are a member
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Well I've been and turned it down Absolutely nothing wrong with the horse, he was lovely and very well mannered, I just got a bad vibe from the owner, dunno why but it just didn't feel right so I've been sensible and walked away but I have heard through my friend of another one on free loan, i pay the bills but my friend who came with me and has owned horses all her life is interested in it too so we're gonna work out a deal and go halves on it (possibly) as she has a large field and he can go in with her youngsters . . . . . . so watch this space
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Well I've been and turned it down Absolutely nothing wrong with the horse, he was lovely and very well mannered, I just got a bad vibe from the owner, dunno why but it just didn't feel right so I've been sensible and walked away but I have heard through my friend of another one on free loan, i pay the bills but my friend who came with me and has owned horses all her life is interested in it too so we're gonna work out a deal and go halves on it (possibly) as she has a large field and he can go in with her youngsters . . . . . . so watch this space

Aww thats a shame, but you are probably best not loaning with some one that you don't have a good gut feeling about.

So tell us more about this free loan! Is it a full loan or share, or are you and your friend going on halves on a full loan???? What sort is it, how old, gender, colour????? And yes I am horse mad! lol
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Aww thats a shame, but you are probably best not loaning with some one that you don't have a good gut feeling about.

So tell us more about this free loan! Is it a full loan or share, or are you and your friend going on halves on a full loan???? What sort is it, how old, gender, colour????? And yes I am horse mad! lol
He's a free loan, 17.1hh, 18yr gelding called Jaffa I've had a chat with my friend who is happy to do a share with me, we'll split food, shoes etc strait down the middle, he'll go on her field with her youngster who's in the middle of being broken, so basically I'll see to him when she's at work and she'll see to him when she's off, it also means that we're covered for holidays etc
I feel a bit happier with this arrangement as i've never actually owned a horse before so it'll be a good way to learn, knowing I can ask my mate and silly question without feeling daft or putting the horse in danger We've had a quick chat with the owner and she's more than happy with the arrangement so just got to go and look at him - 11am today
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >