Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Owners of large dogs.

What do you drive ? I have put this in this section as I am hoping for some replies so I can get some clues on what type of larger vehicles are out there that will accomodate Ollie but also be a Family car when needed or van type of vehicle.
Needs to be low to the ground so he can walk in and out easily my Volvo estate is good for this although he does need the dog ramp if we have been for a long walk. So even lower would be good, he does have to hop into the Volvo but it isn't difficult for him. Lots of headroom as his head now touches the roof and he takes up most of the room in the boot he can turn but when he gets in we have to lean against him to make sure we get those huge paws and that big fluffy tail out of the way of the door , so will be looking for something that gives him all round space.
Have thought about a Citroen Berlingo. Does anyone have one ? Are they any good ?
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't have a 'large dog' like you mean but I have two 'nearly large dogs'!

I drive a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso.

I have one large crate (big enough for 2 dallies) in the boot and still have 5 seats.
There are seven passenger seats all of which fold down individually (which is handy when putting a second crate in).

The only thing I would say is, it seems to guzzle fuel rather fast. I have a petrol engine (and it's not really big enough for the size of the car - think it's a 1.8l), I think a larger engine would be better on the fuel.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Missed the bit about low to the ground, it's not low to the ground but would easily accomodate a ramp.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a vauxhall Astra estate. perfect car for transporting Shady around nice and roomy, and not too high for hopping in and out of.
Very reliable and not too much of a fuel guzzler.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I don't have a 'large dog' like you mean but I have two 'nearly large dogs'!

I drive a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso.

I have one large crate (big enough for 2 dallies) in the boot and still have 5 seats.
There are seven passenger seats all of which fold down individually (which is handy when putting a second crate in).

The only thing I would say is, it seems to guzzle fuel rather fast. I have a petrol engine (and it's not really big enough for the size of the car - think it's a 1.8l), I think a larger engine would be better on the fuel.
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Missed the bit about low to the ground, it's not low to the ground but would easily accomodate a ramp.
Thanks Lottie I am looking for a smaller cc mine is a 2.8i and doesn't do too well on the petrol. For its size it does well but would be downsizing to 1.8 or even 1.6 if I could get something big enough. Had thought of something like yours doesn't matter if we have to use the ramp he likes it.

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have a vauxhall Astra estate. perfect car for transporting Shady around nice and roomy, and not too high for hopping in and out of.
Very reliable and not too much of a fuel guzzler.
Thanks MM I don't think there would be much more room than the Volvo 850 he needs head room as well as all round space. Less fuel and the hopping in and out sounds ideal.
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
What do you drive ? I have put this in this section as I am hoping for some replies so I can get some clues on what type of larger vehicles are out there that will accomodate Ollie but also be a Family car when needed or van type of vehicle.
Needs to be low to the ground so he can walk in and out easily my Volvo estate is good for this although he does need the dog ramp if we have been for a long walk. So even lower would be good, he does have to hop into the Volvo but it isn't difficult for him. Lots of headroom as his head now touches the roof and he takes up most of the room in the boot he can turn but when he gets in we have to lean against him to make sure we get those huge paws and that big fluffy tail out of the way of the door , so will be looking for something that gives him all round space.
Have thought about a Citroen Berlingo. Does anyone have one ? Are they any good ?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

we had a Citroen Berlingo when i had the GSD's and i got four of them in the back , these were working dogs for the security industry so would think a CB woulld be ideal for you , yep they are good motors
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
We go on the train! Or they squash into anything offered.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I've got a Seat Alhambra. It's pretty much the same as a VW Sharan and an older Ford Galaxy, but a bit cheaper cos it's a Seat and not a VW.

7 seater people carrier type thing. We've taken the back 2 seats out for the boys, but there is still loads of room for passengers/stuff.

If you take all the seats out, it's like a mini-van and is great for going to the tip/Ikea etc.

It's fairly low to the ground, but I suspect you might still need a ramp?

This is it when Murphy was small...

but we have recently fitted 5 full grown Boxers into the back with no problems whatsoever (except for the nose-smears on the windows!)

Mine is a "Stylance" 2.0 diesel and does about 500 miles on a full tank of diesel (approx £70). It's got air con, heated seats, cd player and I love it!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Ford Focus estate 1.6.

my 2 fit in fine. you can drop the back seats to make more room as well.

i can get Bonnies cage in with Hector in the back. plenty of room to stretch out.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I have a zafira. You can two of the seats down to create an estate style car or even fold four down to create a greater space. The back two seats fold into the floor so no lifting in and out or having to find storage for them. There is plenty of headroom. The chassis is actually an astra chassis so easy to park as well. Ours is a 1.8 and runs well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >