Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 08:44 PM

New chapter

My son has moved out ! Its a good thing , he has a lovely house and has moved in with his girlfriend of 4 yrs. He is an adult but you know they are always your babies !

It does feel strange but I am sure I will get used to it , its only 10 mins in the car from us and I can walk round with the dogs too although I will be giving them some space to settle in.

How did others feel about this , I am thinking , got a double bedroom back and one less human in the house , does that make space for other things !
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Both of mine have moved out but you'd never know it if you looked in their bedrooms. I'm sure they left more behind than they took with them. I keep threatening to have a clear out and get rid of it all but they assure me they still want most of it and keep promising to have a sort out. Hmm won't hold my breath as the youngest has been gone over a year and the eldest has been gone 6 years . I'm happy they're happy but I still miss having them around, maybe that's why they've left so much behind.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Both my sons have left home, i think what made it worse was it was in the same week. One minute i had a house full, next just me ken and hooch.The house felt so empty and quiet it took awhile to get used to it.
But there are pluses, not staying awake waiting for them to come home, no arguments about the tv, eating what we want.
They are both very happy with there wives and children, but they both know that they have a home here always.I still miss them both even though they don't live fare away.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I think it could be the perfect excuse to get another dog. Or two
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 09:43 PM
My son left home 10 years ago to join the army. I was heartbroken He now comes home at weekends when he can, but now has a partner and my absolutely delightful grand daughter.

I still have a 25 year old daughter living at home and, although we would love the house to ourselves, would still be dreading the day she says that she is moving out.

I do have plans for her room though
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm really sorry, I do wish your son every happiness in his new home.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2012, 10:01 PM
One of our sons moved out in June having bought a flat. He loves his new home which is only about a 25 mins drive away and he was more than ready to go. He'd been away at Uni for 3 years, then moved into a flat for nearly two years before moving back to save money. So I am use to him not being around. He does drop in to see us at least once a week and we speak (actually usually text) on the phone a couple of times a week. It is lovely when he comes back and I adore seeing him. However, his room here is something else. He keeps promising to come and sort it out but to be honest it would take about 3 days! I haven't been able to hoover in the room for over a year as it is covered in clothes and a general dumping ground of his stuff He has promised to do it before Xmas

My younger son is still here and he is fantastic with the dogs and a really nice guy to have around. I will really miss him when he goes which I am sure will be in the next year or so. My goodness, it will then just be me and my OH

I know I will suffer from empty nest syndrome and I'm not looking forward to it. Thank goodness for the dogs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2012, 10:24 PM
When my son left to go to University I cried all the way driving back from Nottingham.
I never thought he would return home after Uni but he did and by then I had experienced a taste of living alone.

Then he rented a house with friends and I knew he had gone forever . He still bought his washing home and came for lunch most days

When he married he moved a mile away, great for babysitting

Now I love living alone and wouldn't have it any other way,
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think it could be the perfect excuse to get another dog. Or two
That would be my suggestion too!