Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 07:42 AM

St Bernards Blowing coat

Hi can anybody help? i recently rescued 2 saint bernards both under one and they are in the process of losing there coat. With barney i literally stand next to him and pull it off (falls off) as with a brush after i dp one brush it is completly full!! My question is is there a better way and a quicker way of removing it? You should have seen my carpet last night and i only did half of his legs. And also he is really hot and i want him to be nice and cool.

Any advice much appreciated

Hannah & the Gang
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi I have a BMD who is blowing his coat, and I find a good brush and then the slicker brush through really helps it brings out all the old undercoat. I use a grooming spray sometimes as well, this leaves a nice shine on the coat, Ollie doesn't like the smell of tea tree so I spray it on to the brush first.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. my Newf does not seem to be losing his the same way the saints do. The saints lose it in tufts whereas the newf just loses some when brushing. Its crazy
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
Thanks for the advice. my Newf does not seem to be losing his the same way the saints do. The saints lose it in tufts whereas the newf just loses some when brushing. Its crazy
Ollie sometimes gets tufts near his rear end that you can just pull out in clumps it is all old undercoat with him.
It happens if I have had a busy week and neglected his brushing. Is the Saints coat different to the Newfies ?
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes alot so!! Barny's rear end is the same!How do you make it look even if only the rear end falls out like that? Noah's hair is quite course but i have always brushed him daily so it is good condition Noahs is also much thicker
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:31 AM
hi hun where are the pics still waiting...lol

ok mum has a st bernard and as you have said they are resuce's depending on what happend hun it could be the stress of moving to a new home, it not some thing you have done please dont take it the wrong way. All you can do is give them a good groom each day and as they settle it will get better. I would also give them salmon oil in there food it will help with there coats and there skin, it has worked wonders on my mums doglet. i really hope it settles soon hun.

please can i have some pics ...lol mum wants to see as well.

sam
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Samoyeds do the same, it's kind of hypnotic gently pulling the tufts out, seeing how long you can get them, dreaming of carding and spinning it then knitting a doggy jumper for Pharaoh... I bought the cards, I got the spinner... Never done it though.

I have a plastic rake a slicker brush and a metal comb... First I rake through the coat gently pulling out the undercoat starting at the back legs and working forwards, you have to pull the hair off the rake and put it to one side as you go, I usually end up with a bigger pile than selkie! (I have taken to putting this in a bird basket outside, the birds near me have the softest nests anywhere) Then I go back over her with the slicker brush, I use the metal comb to rake the hair of the brush after every pull like a curry comb and brush if grooming a horse, finally I go round her ears and toes with my fingers, teasing out the knots and trimming them out with scissors... Usually takes a couple of days when she's 'blowing coat' .

Only way i have found to do it faster is get a professional groomer to do it! If you can find one willing to take a big dog... I gradually lost all the groomers in the area willing to groom selkie. She yips the place down the whole time and wriggles on the table. It is her firm belief that grooming should only be done slowly while relaxing in front of animal planet sipping water and eating doggy biscuits.
kazzf
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Hannah,

As the owner of St. Bernards, I can tell you this is quite normal when they "blow" their coats!! I find the best way of getting rid of the loose undercoat is to use a blaster - best done outside unless you want hair everywhere!! A furminator is also good at removing the dead undercoat.
Once I have got most of the loose coat out, I then bath them to get rid of the rest.
They will still be losing the puppy coat and it will get better and easier to manage once the adult coat is through. Hope this helps.

Karen
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:28 PM
i use a furminator on my mallys, when their blowing. its time consuming but theraputic, for me anyway!
i ve heard a blaster is much easier, but thats on my wish list
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Good way is to wash it out. Wet the dog then brush with a slicker brush all the shampoo in, grooming the dog as you go. When rinsing with the hose pipe or whatever the coat will fall out all over the floor!!