Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
oh i know how much damage a GSD etc can do....

im just not afraid of them..... im well aware one could do massive amounts of damage to me....

mabey again thats the media (regarding pits)
making it worse - but the statements ive made why i should think they should stay banned are my opinion which im not likely to change soon ...

in regards to bruce - whether he is a pit/x or just type - they are banned... simple.
thats my reason...

fair comment the dogs you know are family dogs etc.... but i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them...

in regards to BSL and deed not breed....

so once a dog attacks thats when they are punished??? (the dogs not the owners because as we all know the justice system in this country is laughable)

so after the dog attacks/ruins someones life/scars them and in the case of ellie lawrenson kills them.... its too late
Errr...all dogs have the potential to bite someone. There are dangerous and unstable individuals of ALL breeds, not just Bull types.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The DDA 1991 was passed in reeaction to a number of high profile dog attacks which mostly featured a different breed. The four breeds listed were politically safe targets.

Damn staight you are entitled to an opinion and I'm glad you have one rather than being just apathetic. Apathy is the worst enemy (it's what fed the homeless dogs crisis for years, too) but opinions can be challenged and sometimes - just now and then - changed.

Pit bulls are not the problem. Never were. It is poor qualities owners that are the problem. To paraphrase - A pit bull in the right hands is a dream. A pit bull in the wrong hands is a terror. A golden retriever in the right hands is a dream. A golden retriever in the wrong hands is a terror.

Since dog attacks have risen since the DDA came into power, since we will, through the Act's wording, never be free of pit bull 'types' then why are you so keen on it? Wouldn't you prefer a more effective law? A law that makes you more safe and not less safe?
im not afraid to give my opinion and respect others opinions....

absolutely agree in the wrong hands they are a nightmare... as any breed!
i think the sheer strength of the dog worries people too.... an attack from a jack russell terrier compared to a put bull terrier will have far worse affects...

dog attacks risen.... not surprised! did you not know you look ded 'ard with apit at the end of a lead (sarcasm)!

if the law was more effective i would feel far safer walking my dog in places i wouldnt normally go.....in general not just about banned dogs... the dog attack situations etc...

problem is now - people have an image of certain breeds....

when i walk along the road with my springer cross - people go aww... if i walked down the road with a pit - people would think omg and move...

this is one of the reasons (many) why they are so popular and people (sorry - numpties - they arnt peoplelol) with things lacking in their lifes need it (ego perhaps?)

i do feel sorry for the dogs - like everything - they are the ones that suffer

i have changed my opinion and attitude slightly in the last few months about certain aspects regarding these dogs... mabey its due to meeting the types..... anyhow...
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:15 PM
oh i know how much damage a GSD etc can do....

im just not afraid of them..... im well aware one could do massive amounts of damage to me....

mabey again thats the media (regarding pits)
making it worse - but the statements ive made why i should think they should stay banned are my opinion which im not likely to change soon ...

in regards to bruce - whether he is a pit/x or just type - they are banned... simple.
thats my reason...

fair comment the dogs you know are family dogs etc.... but i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them...

in regards to BSL and deed not breed....

so once a dog attacks thats when they are punished??? (the dogs not the owners because as we all know the justice system in this country is laughable)

so after the dog attacks/ruins someones life/scars them and in the case of ellie lawrenson kills them.... its too late
that is one of the problems...how can you generalise and say you wouldnt trust them? what gives you less reason to trust them than say a gsd or rottie etc?
any breed is capable of killing or biting not just these dogs- i wonder does anyone had any facts/data with regards to dog attacks on people and what breed the dog was?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
that is one of the problems...how can you generalise and say you wouldnt trust them? what gives you less reason to trust them than say a gsd or rottie etc?
any breed is capable of killing or biting not just these dogs- i wonder does anyone had any facts/data with regards to dog attacks on people and what breed the dog was?

i agree any breed is capable of biting and killing...!

generalising is my opinion....i dont think you can ever compare a banned breed such as a pit to a non banned breed like a rot or gsd......

as for facts - there was a list somewhere - i'll try google...
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:20 PM

generalising is my opinion....i dont think you can ever compare a banned breed such as a pit to a non banned breed like a rot or gsd......

why? excluding the fact that they are illegal, why can they not be compared?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Compare them in what respect out of curiosity?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

but for example rotts are not widely used in dog fights....
Being a favoured dog for fighting doesn't mean a human aggressive dog. Quite the opposite in fact. This video clip explains very eloquently why that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBUtBCEjo4

the media dont help i openly admit...
I can't help but be impressed by your honesty. The media have pumped out this image at every opportunity. It's all pervasive.

.but i do strongly believe pits and their types should stay banned.
There a paradox there. If it were true (and it's not) that American Pit Bull Terriers had some quality of character that was unique to them and made them especially dangerous then it makes no sense to say that the accidental mating of an EBT and mastiff or even the deliberate crossing of a staff and a boxer should be treated the same.

that dosent sound to me like a provoked attack??? my dogs are terrifed of thunder/lightening/bangs etc yet they would never attack....
Were you aware that Rueben was an abused dog? That Kiel Simpson gave it a good kicking just before he left for his night's partying? Every time we have seen a fatal tragedy - everytime - Caddy-Lee, Ellie Lawrenson, Archie-Lee and recently Jaden Mack - it has been utterly preventable.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't watched it yet (sky+'d it) but just wanted to comment as someone made mention of the JRT. This breed (well 9/10 that I've come across) have a real problem with Chis. It is absolutely shocking!!! Everything is relative to me. The damage a JRT could do to my little ones would be life-threatening. We've come across many bull breeds and "types" even at close proximity in the Vets where a young man admitted his dog was pure Pit (which was clearly evident and he admitted it when I pressed him). The dog was an angel and he was so gentle with my Bambi that was with me at the time.

There are many breeds I am wary of but I give the benefit of the doubt and watch the dog for aggressive bodylanguage.

At the end of the day though, as PBTs are illegal in this Country, I don't think the Police have a choice but to PTS, sad as it is for the poor dogs
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Being a favoured dog for fighting doesn't mean a human aggressive dog. Quite the opposite in fact. This video clip explains very eloquently why that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBUtBCEjo4

I can't help but be impressed by your honesty. The media have pumped out this image at every opportunity. It's all pervasive.

There a paradox there. If it were true (and it's not) that American Pit Bull Terriers had some quality of character that was unique to them and made them especially dangerous then it makes no sense to say that the accidental mating of an EBT and mastiff or even the deliberate crossing of a staff and a boxer should be treated the same.

Were you aware that Rueben was an abused dog? That Kiel Simpson gave it a good kicking just before he left for his night's partying? Every time we have seen a fatal tragedy - everytime - Caddy-Lee, Ellie Lawrenson, Archie-Lee and recently Jaden Mack - it has been utterly preventable.
And if I remember these stories correctly, with the exception of one(?), none of these were your average well trained, socialized, well looked after pets but status symbols and "guard" dogs.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sorry John I strongly disagree with you here. ANYONE buying a Pit Bull IS an idiot, they are knowingly purchasing an illegal animal, why? Think about that, its not because they want an ideal family pet is it?

"Type" is one thing, but both of those dogs on the TV l;ast night were clearly Pit Bulls.
Pit bulls do make excellent family pets and not everyone who buys a Ferrari wants to race. I didn't see the programme so i can't comment on the dogs in question beyond remarking that the determination of whether a dog is of 'type' or not is a controversial issue subject to much deliberation of detail. I'd be surprised if it could be reliably done from TV footage.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »