View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I know what you mean Steve, I worked on market stalls for years as a teenager and still do to make ends meet. That reminds me better get to bed I'm up at 4:45.

Anyway, I've just got some cream from Avon with Glycerin and silicone in it and it's the only cream I've found that doesn't sting when you put it on!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Steve as Bluemearle lover says drapoline is very good as is the Nivea you are using , one thing to try (*whispers if you are sleeping alone otherwise it can look a bit odd *) is to get some cotton gloves from boots the chemist and to apply the cream at bedtime a little at a time rubbing it in well, then apply a final coat and your cotton gloves and go to sleep like that so the cream can soak in well overnight
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Wearing cotton gloves in bed Mini cannot be any odder than me sitting here with latex gloves looking like im about to put my arm up a cows bum!

My hands are feelin' much much better now,but will continue rubbing on the handcream-cheers everyone!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 06:52 PM
I know this sounds really gross Steve but try not to wash your hands too much as it really dries them out.

Whenever I work in the darkroom my hands are wet half the time and I have to keep rinsing them because of the chemicals, and they get really really dry and sore. So try to keep your hands DRY as much as you can... and use lots of handcream as others have said
kameo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Internally Lecithin capsules & vit E
Externally try any of these:-
Extra Virgin cold pressed Olive Oil (a small bottle goes a long way) the natural vit E will heal the cracks.
Oil of Olay (face moisturiser) is very good and not so greasy as nivea (also it has a sunscreen and hypo allergenic version)

Last have you tried plain old fashioned Vaseline? cheap and very effective.

Kameo
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
I know this sounds really gross Steve but try not to wash your hands too much as it really dries them out.

Whenever I work in the darkroom my hands are wet half the time and I have to keep rinsing them because of the chemicals, and they get really really dry and sore. So try to keep your hands DRY as much as you can... and use lots of handcream as others have said
I've always had sensitive skin Tuti and use Dove soap in bathroom cause this seems to work with me ok.In kitchen,i always keep one of them liquid soap bottles and the blue antibacterial type does dry my hands out quite badly,but the green one with aloevera is much better.

Im now having to get in the habit of wearing gloves when using cleaning stuff cause this cannot help things.
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Hi Steve, Two things I would recommend, both from Body Shop. The first is Hemp Hand Protector which is a really thick ointment which is very soothing for extremely dry skin, the other is Cocoa Butter hand and body lotion which is for dry skin and smells lovely - like chocolate! Go in there and try the testers
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I've always had sensitive skin Tuti and use Dove soap in bathroom cause this seems to work with me ok.In kitchen,i always keep one of them liquid soap bottles and the blue antibacterial type does dry my hands out quite badly,but the green one with aloevera is much better.

Im now having to get in the habit of wearing gloves when using cleaning stuff cause this cannot help things.

Get a dishwasher Steve

And don't forget to put Vegas on my Christmas card
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
The best would be the good old vasalene jelly put on overnight, then the gloves on top and it will sink in overnight (and hope nobody comes to the door and wonders why you're sleeping in latex gloves! )You need a good "barrier" cream then for the daytime, which will keep them protected. Look in any chemist for a barrier cream, as I can't remember any offhand. I used to suffer terribly with this when mucking out the horse in the frostly mornings - now it's just my lips riding that bike with the dogs! Can't win! Don't they stiiiiiiiiiing too! Oh I remember it well! Poor Steve.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I dont need a dishwasher Foxy-theres only me here and i dont create much mess! Vegas has to make do with a bowl at the moment cause he kinda struggles with knives and forks...

My hands Helen are feeling normal at the moment-apart from where i nearly smashed my index finger last week,but that is rapidly healing.All the splits which some were bleeding have sealed up so aplying hand cream about 10 times a day has helped! The Vaseline idea sounds good,but i'd be terrified of anyone seeing my hands swamped in the stuff...
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >