Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Do you know, I NEVER knew that dogs were not robots!

And robot like dogs do not win in the show ring!
Yes, I know.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Gnasher, see here working Police Dogs which are at stud!

Pepnick Hard Line
Pepnick Harvestman

I know loads more.

Tricky to be at stud when you have been castrated!

http://www.pepnick.co.uk/progeny/pro...t_pepnick.htm#
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I know a lot of Police dogs - trackers/sniffers etc - only 1 is castrated (health related) - I've never known Police dogs past/present to all be castrated.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
I know a lot of Police dogs - trackers/sniffers etc - only 1 is castrated (health related) - I've never known Police dogs past/present to all be castrated.

They are not. I have no idea where Gnasher gets her "information" but it is certainly not from the "real world"!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:37 AM
They are not. I have no idea where Gnasher gets her "information" but it is certainly not from the "real world"!

Methinks I'm w-a-a-a-y out of date. Many apols.

However, I stand by my original views that I personally think it is extremely unfair to bring bitches in season to a show. To bring bitches in season where there are dog obedience classes which be just plain unfair.

You might own dogs that could be trained to ignore a bitch in season, but I do not, and I don't know anyone with a healthy entire male who has such tight control over their dog that they could train him to completely ignore a bitch in season and carry on as if she were not there.

An interesting thought has just come to mind. I am not saying that this is the case with you SB, but when we first got Tai he was totally disinterested in bitches in season. This worried me, because it didn't seem right or natural. He was fed on Bakers Complete, and as you know I am a raw feeder, so immediately he was switched on to what I consider a proper diet for all diets. Within a week or 2 everything had changed, and we met Lola, a randy GSP who is heavily in season and escaped from her owners and tore down the lane to where Tai and I were gathering firewood, hotly pursued by his owners shrieking that she was in season! Before I could blink, Tai had mounted her and was getting into action! Luckily I managed to grab him and pull him off before it was too late, but I rapidly realised then that Tai was now extremely interested in bitches in season!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Do you know, I NEVER knew that dogs were not robots!

And robot like dogs do not win in the show ring!
Any healthy male dog who completely ignores a bitch in season in my opinion is acting like a robot. It is not natural.

However, what it does prove is that (assuming they are healthy) certain breeds, such as GSDs, can be trained to such a high level of obedience - eg police dogs - that they will ignore delicious scents. ie behave like robots.

My dogs definitely not. This is not because I am a bad owner, it is simply a biological fact. When I say "completely ignore" I mean just that. No scent or air sniffing, no reaction at all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

Methinks I'm w-a-a-a-y out of date. Many apols.

However, I stand by my original views that I personally think it is extremely unfair to bring bitches in season to a show. To bring bitches in season where there are dog obedience classes which be just plain unfair.

If anyone brought a bitch in season to a KC licensed obedience competition they would be disqualified under the G Rules!

All the dog training clubs I know (apart from Schutzhund) have a rule which states "no bitches in season".

So your worries are unfounded.

You might own dogs that could be trained to ignore a bitch in season, but I do not, and I don't know anyone with a healthy entire male who has such tight control over their dog that they could train him to completely ignore a bitch in season and carry on as if she were not there.

An interesting thought has just come to mind. I am not saying that this is the case with you SB, but when we first got Tai he was totally disinterested in bitches in season. This worried me, because it didn't seem right or natural. He was fed on Bakers Complete, and as you know I am a raw feeder, so immediately he was switched on to what I consider a proper diet for all diets. Within a week or 2 everything had changed, and we met Lola, a randy GSP who is heavily in season and escaped from her owners and tore down the lane to where Tai and I were gathering firewood, hotly pursued by his owners shrieking that she was in season! Before I could blink, Tai had mounted her and was getting into action! Luckily I managed to grab him and pull him off before it was too late, but I rapidly realised then that Tai was now extremely interested in bitches in season!!
You are entitled to your personal views re bitches in season at shows, but the facts remain that it is perfectly permissible and thus if you have strong views about this subject you can choose not to show or to attempt to bring about change.

As an old dog trainer I know says "if you do not like the rules do not play the game"

My entire GSD has been raw fed even before I took him home at 7 weeks.

He can detect a bitch in season 10 miles away!

BUT, when he is working, he is working. Of course he has a very high drive so I am "lucky" that he will work despite the distraction of some hot totty!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Any healthy male dog who completely ignores a bitch in season in my opinion is acting like a robot. It is not natural.

However, what it does prove is that (assuming they are healthy) certain breeds, such as GSDs, can be trained to such a high level of obedience - eg police dogs - that they will ignore delicious scents. ie behave like robots.

My dogs definitely not. This is not because I am a bad owner, it is simply a biological fact. When I say "completely ignore" I mean just that. No scent or air sniffing, no reaction at all.
ROFLMAO

Ah, I see you have changed the goalposts!

A police dog would not be a good plice dog or ANY sort of dog if it did not "air scent" would it?

So dogs that ignore delicious scents behave like robots do they?

Hmmmm so gundogs which have been trained to ignore the scent of deer and hare are "robots"?

ROFLMAO ever been to a Field Trial or worked a dog on a shoot?

That is what TRAINING is for!

Police sniffer dogs which have been trained to alert handlers to explosives, drugs, money etc etc are "robots" if they ignore other scents?

Do you not think that operational dogs actually have to WORK where bitches in season are, have been, or live?

Can you imagine how useful they would be if a dog handler said "sorry mate, can't deploy my dog cos there must be a bitch in heat around here"?

As a taxpayer, would you be happy that a tool you have paid for was inoperable due to "nature"?

A dog can "acknowledge" many scents exist, and ignore those that are not pertinent to the "job in hand" !

I realise that perhaps you have never had the opportunity to watch extremely highly trained dogs ignore the scents which would tempt your dogs, but the FACTS remain, they can and do.

Tracking down a wounded deer, does not require a "robot".

Apprehending an armed criminal does not require a "robot".

IME people who accuse well trained, obedient dogs of being "robots" are those who are unable to attain this level of control over their own dogs, and instead of admiring the talents of others and admitting their own failings, proceed to denigrate not only the skills of said handlers but the abilities of those dogs.

What a shame eh?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Ok I am not sure the point of this? I previously said we hadnt experienced it, but the breed was known for it.
i replied to your first post before you mentioned about you not personally experiencing it, so said i had never experience that with daph. and i was just giving my opnion on it, after seeing all the crestie bitches i have in season, not one has ever been snappy towards a person or another dog.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:25 AM
What absolute rubbish you do talk sometimes!! NO-ONE but NO-ONE can have "superb control" over their entire males around a bitch in full season, unless there is something very wrong with them, such as they are ill. The strongest and most natural desire for an entire male in any animal species ... horses, dogs, cats ... is to mate, to the point where they will ignore food and even drink for days whilst they mope around - I am referring to dogs now.

My old boy Hal would be miserable, off his food, and an absolute nightmare when a bitch in the village came into season. There is no way I would have been able to drag him off a bitch ... luckily, I never had to ... but Tai I have and can, but he is still a nightmare.

Why do you think police dogs are always castrated?
my boyfriends lab who is now a police dog, is not castrated. and i dont think they will be doing it either seeing as they want to use him at stud.
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »