Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Takara saved me today

Some of you who know me, may know that I've been training Takara for assistance work... today, she came into her own.

I decided to get up and do an early morning walk with Takara in the local park today before heading for the gym and then off to meet a friend.

We started our walk which was lovely, we entered the first park from the main road, through the park into the neighbouring park, through that one and then back into the first park through a different entrance. We played around a little as my leg was feeling upto it and were enjoying ourselves as we entered the first park again. Takara went offlead to play as we walked through the designated footpath that goes through some trees into the park.

All of a sudden, it came apparant that the path had not been maintained like the other paths despite being a main entrance to the park and was slippy, my left leg went from underneath me and I skidded down the path.
I landed with my right leg (my bad leg) right up behind me, scraping the skin on my leg and hands and twisting my knee.
As I went down I yelled out in pain and scared the living daylights out of Takara.

She stopped in her tracks and looked back at me but was very wary of approaching me after I'd shouted.

I called her to me, and she did come, albeit slowly and warily, and stood beside me while I pushed myself up on her.

We have never trained for this situation, Takara has helped me up before, but only at home or the shop and not after a fall. I've never had to put my full weight on her but nevertheless, she braced herself and stood stock still the whole time it took me to get up and didn't move until I told her she could.

She's never had to do any assistance work whilst out on a fun walk, and only done small tasks when out and about wearing her harness and jacket, nor has she experienced me shouting in pain like that.

She managed to perform a relatively difficult task for me, in a completely new place (somewhere we rarely even walk!), after having been frightened and then to stand there while I put all my weight on her... I'm incredibly proud of her.
After I got up, she was rewarded with a sausage and freedom to run while I hobbled back to the main road, instead of running off to enjoy herself, she ran a few paces, then looked back and waited for me to catch up, then a few more and looked back and waited.

I know that had she not been there, I would've had to use my mobile to call for someone to come and get me because there was no way I'd have managed to get myself up - I'm so thankful for such a wonderful dog.

I won't be going to the gym, either...
susi226
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Well done Takara,what a natural.She must trust you to do that.
Hope you are felling better and the leg heals well,I've fallen like that before and it took a week for the swelling to go down and the bruise to come out,so rest!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Awww, bless her, she's really coming along in leaps and bounds.
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys

I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long for it to sort itself out, I'm prone to bleeding so a fall like that can end up really badly!

I'm so proud of Takara, have emailed her breeder to tell her what she's done!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Well done Takara. You are lucky to have such a clever doggy.
Hope your knee feels better soon.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
That sounds amazing Lottie! Takara is such a clever dog!

I hope you are ok xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Well done Takara. Hope you don't suffer too badly Lottie.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Yay!!! well done takara, hope your legs not too bad hun, and that it heals quickly.
Talk about on the spot training, what a star she is.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Well done Takara. Hope your ok Lottie
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Aww....well done Takara, and you for training her
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >