Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Sal;1190990][Quote from Anne UK]
When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again.

So your not actually returning the dog,there could be many many reasons a dog from an ethical breeder ends up in rescue,and no wonder they are in such a state if the above quote is true!
As Ive said before my term "ticking off" was a slight exaggeration, our aim is to educate. Before we educate we always give them the opportunity to offer to take the dog back, but unfortunately they don't unless of course it's a pup.

We have a pom pup with us at the moment, breeder is supposed to be reputable, reg with KC accredited breeders scheme, recommended by the breed club, fancy website, does very well in shows. One of my colleagues called the breeder informing him we had one of his pups, he instantly said the pup must be returned to him. Colleague went onto explain the reason for the pup coming into rescue - pup had broken it's leg and owners supposedly couldn't afford the treatment, breeder went quiet and said he'd give us a call back, has he called? no! We've tried to contact them a couple of times but they're obviously avoiding us

As for returning them, not unless they carry out the proper checks and neuter before rehoming, I've yet to come across this situation.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again.As Ive said before my term "ticking off" was a slight exaggeration, our aim is to educate. Before we educate we always give them the opportunity to offer to take the dog back, but unfortunately they don't unless of course it's a pup. We have a pom pup with us at the moment, breeder is supposed to be reputable, reg with KC accredited breeders scheme, recommended by the breed club, fancy website, does very well in shows. One of my colleges called the breeder informing him we had one of his pups, he instantly offered to take the pup back, she went on to explain the reason for the pup coming into rescue - pup had broken it's leg and owners supposedly couldn't afford the treatment, breeder went quiet and said he'd give us a call back, has he called? no! We've tried to contact them a couple of times but they're obviously avoiding us

How do you know that ?

Anything could have happened. Whatever happened to giving people a chance ??

They could have family problems, a tragedy in the family, a sick dog, the list is endless, I think you need to have hard facts before saying they are avoiding the situation. But then that's typical of rescues isnt' it, just totally against breeders full stop and look for any reason not to praise them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=AnneUK;1191070]
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
[Quote from Anne UK]
When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again.As Ive said before my term "ticking off" was a slight exaggeration, our aim is to educate. Before we educate we always give them the opportunity to offer to take the dog back, but unfortunately they don't unless of course it's a pup.

We have a pom pup with us at the moment, breeder is supposed to be reputable, reg with KC accredited breeders scheme, recommended by the breed club, fancy website, does very well in shows. One of my colleagues called the breeder informing him we had one of his pups, he instantly said the pup must be returned to him. Colleague went onto explain the reason for the pup coming into rescue - pup had broken it's leg and owners supposedly couldn't afford the treatment, breeder went quiet and said he'd give us a call back, has he called? no! We've tried to contact them a couple of times but they're obviously avoiding us

As for returning them, not unless they carry out the proper checks and neuter before rehoming, I've yet to come across this situation.
Very similar situation Anne with the post I made. A rescue that was happy to take dogs they could rehome, but when the 3 legged dog with the liver problem came along, she phoned me!

I do agree with malady, its worth trying more than a "couple" to get the breeder again, there may be a genuine reason for you not being able to get in touch with them.
Dawn.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
They could have family problems, a tragedy in the family, a sick dog, the list is endless, I think you need to have hard facts before saying they are avoiding the situation. But then that's typical of rescues isnt' it, just totally against breeders full stop and look for any reason not to praise them.
I think going from demanding the pup is returned to going quiet when told the pup has a broken leg speaks volumes.

Well we'll see but I won't hold my breath.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Very similar situation Anne with the post I made. A rescue that was happy to take dogs they could rehome, but when the 3 legged dog with the liver problem came along, she phoned me!
Dawn.
I agree, absolutely disgraceful, nothing turns my stomach more than cherry picking
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:49 PM
[quote=AnneUK;1191070]
[Quote from Anne UK]
When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again.As Ive said before my term "ticking off" was a slight exaggeration, our aim is to educate. Before we educate we always give them the opportunity to offer to take the dog back, but unfortunately they don't unless of course it's a pup.

But the breeders are all being tarred with the same brush, all of the good ones take back dogs, nobody is condeming rescues just that alot of them slate good breeders in a rush to hunt out one bad breeder, hence the frosty reception by breeders, round and round the story goes till in the end nobody will listen to what the other is saying, when I rehomed the dogs Itook back, the old or new owners paid out nothing, I out of my own pocket sorted out the vaccines, advertising and nuetering and only one of them was originally bred by me, the other breeder didnt want to know as his one he bred was deaf, and he was one of the people in our breed working for rescue, so theres good and bad on both sides and a list I dont think will have much diffrent, if I warned someone of a breeder I'd be slated as sour grapes so whats the diffrence in putting them on a list?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=AnneUK;1191070]
[Quote from Anne UK]

Originally Posted by Malady View Post
How do you know that ?

Anything could have happened. Whatever happened to giving people a chance ??

Really, this is why i hate these threads. They always end up with the same 2 or 3 people predicatably degenerating the discussion into an uncompromising Us V Them War..

I worked in rescue, and I phoned reputable breeders, and had the same probs as AnneUK.
But come on, really.
If I phoned up with a predetermined anti-breeder attitude where I felt i had the need to "tick off" or "educate", i would not blame them if they told me to F off.
Let alone ring back.
There are such things as being polite and professional, after all...even in rescue.
And, lo and behold, here comes Malady again, with her usual "thats typical of rescues" anti-rescue rhetoric.
No, Malady, you are replying to AnneUK - NOT the rescue movement of Britain.
Dunno about everyone else, but im getting sick and tired of the same 2 or 3 people hijacking these breeder/rescue discussion threads just to repeat their same borish prejudices.
Seriously, you are so alike.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 08:04 PM
[quote=Krusewalker;1191092]
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post

Really, this is why i hate these threads. They always end up with the same 2 or 3 people predicatably degenerating the discussion into an uncompromising Us V Them War..

I worked in rescue, and I phoned reputable breeders, and had the same probs as AnneUK.
But come on, really.
If I phoned up with a predetermined anti-breeder attitude where I felt i had the need to "tick off" or "educate", i would not blame them if they told me to F off.
Let alone ring back.
There are such things as being polite and professional, after all...even in rescue.
And, lo and behold, here comes Malady again, with her usual "thats typical of rescues" anti-rescue rhetoric.
No, Malady, you are replying to AnneUK - NOT the rescue movement of Britain.
Dunno about everyone else, but im getting sick and tired of the same 2 or 3 people hijacking these breeder/rescue discussion threads just to repeat their same borish prejudices.
Seriously, you are so alike.
Well loh and behold talk about the pot calling the kettle
but i seem to rember the last one to, were you were blaming borderdawn,and malady and anneuk for being ani something or ignorant or something like that, isnt that what debates are for? debating and if there good at it leave them to it, i get so peeved coming on and seeing people complaining if theyve nothing to say about the thread in hand dont say nothing. Imo only
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
but i seem to rember the last one to, were you were blaming borderdawn,and malady and anneuk for being ani something or ignorant or something like that, isnt that what debates are for? debating and if there good at it leave them to it, i get so peeved coming on and seeing people complaining if theyve nothing to say about the thread in hand dont say nothing. Imo only
You beat me to it
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=zoeybeau1;1191094]
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

of course i did. thats why i have said i am getting sick and tired.
i appreciate your point that i have repeated myself as well, but repetition isnt my main point...its the ignorant prejudice.
as a rescue person, i feel i have to stand up and object to the misrepresentation or misassociation....and i feel that for the good breeders on here too.
prejudice and sweeping generalisations dont equal 'good debate'
Page 10 of 25 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »