Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I highly doubt this is caused by anything else but a sexual drive... He only does it with females, and he goes manic going after them... He just will not give up, and when he or them leave, he has to be dragged away.

The point of my story was that it was something caused directly relating to a dog being entire... your story was just about a random dog owner of a neutered dog. I know plenty of people who have neutered dogs who would never dream of doing such a thing, and I would imagine that most people who care so little to allow their dog to do that, wouldn't care too much if the dog is neutered or not.

I only asked whether you think people who neuter are responsible because of this comment...
Lozzie there are loads of neutered males who are badly behaved, hump etc etc. it's called training, thats what stops it, not neutering. Wiling to bet u never witnessed "a tie" There doesnt need to be a chance of a mating just because a dog is entire, nor does it mean that they will be running around the park humping every bitch there. Neutering in itself does not necessarily take away "urges" in that sense either. This you can look into for yourself and confirm from elsewhere as I have a feeling that although I have already said I have had experience of entire males for 26 years you know better!
The whole, it's sexual, it's cos he's entire argument just doesnt stand up. The fact is his owner just can't be bothered putting his lead on.
plenty people own competition dogs that are entire and manage to get through that competition without their dogs running off to mate with a female over the field, stand in a show ring, go off lead in a park...
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Is this the fastest growing thread?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Wow did this thread get de-railed!
From cropping to neutering and dew claws
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Wow did this thread get de-railed!
Because whenever ear cropping, tail docking, removal of dew claws comes up the neutering argument is always put forward .

How it's got onto different competitive sporting activities is anybody's guess, but hey, it's Dogsey
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Because whenever ear cropping, tail docking, removal of dew claws comes up the neutering argument is always put forward .

How it's got onto different competitive sporting activities is anybody's guess, but hey, it's Dogsey
It got to that cos somehow people can own entire males that aren't humping everything that moves and yet they are "under control"

I'm quite surprised no one had been shouting about docking in a big way yet

I think also cropping, docking, dew claw removal and neutering are all linked by surgery and yet none are essential to a dog living a long healthy happy life. Essentially anyway.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
It got to that cos somehow people can own entire males that aren't humping everything that moves and yet they are "under control"

I'm quite surprised no one had been shouting about docking in a big way yet

I think also cropping, docking, dew claw removal and neutering are all linked by surgery and yet none are essential to a dog living a long healthy happy life. Essentially anyway.
Spaying, prophylactically, or to resolve an existing diagnosed medical condition can be.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
dew claws are used in turning
Haven't noticed any difference in turning between my dogs without and my dog with dewclaws. What am I looking for?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Spaying, prophylactically, or to resolve an existing diagnosed medical condition can be.
I wasn't talking about resolving medical conditions though.
I have commented on that and agree but if I get a pup and neuter him "just in case" he is more likely to suffer in other ways than he is from testicular cancer as an entire male, statistically. He also won't be mated to create unwanted pups, so there really wouldnt be any point. Other than "just in case"
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I wasn't talking about resolving medical conditions though.
I have commented on that and agree but if I get a pup and neuter him "just in case" he is more likely to suffer in other ways than he is from testicular cancer as an entire male, statistically. He also won't be mated to create unwanted pups, so there really wouldnt be any point. Other than "just in case"
The end result of a ovariohysterectomy is still neutering and can be essential to a long healthy life.

Pedantic but true.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Haven't noticed any difference in turning between my dogs without and my dog with dewclaws. What am I looking for?
To see it, you would need to video and very probably run back the film in slow motion. Alternatively, if you look around the net, you'll find films that show it
Page 14 of 18 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »