Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Georgieboy update

Got an appointment booked for Monday morning at 9.40 am, and it could go either way, so I'm preparing myself. I've got a friend coming round to stay at home with Zena whilst I toodle off on my own with Georgie.

The problem is, I haven't taken him out for the past week, because he's not too good on his back end when we're out He can potter around, he can even run when he wants to, BUT, sometimes his legs get knotted up, so he stops and lays down, and hubby has said, I can't take him out anymore because he's 55 kgs of dog, and if he were to just collapse on me, well, what do you do?! So he's left with the garden now I suppose I could see how he goes if hubby comes with me for a short potter Sunday lunchtime and see how he is then.

So, for me, his quality of life has now been seriously compromised. Georgie loves his walks, he screams the house down when I get his collar out, and all the way up to the walk in the car, he always has done, and we've just put up with it coz it doesn't bother me and Zena hasn't copied him as yet, thank goodness.

His skin is ok, he's not itchy or scratching a lot, but the hairloss is quite strange. When I brush him, I can take a thick piece of fur which might have had the crusty bits (from his mange) prior to his weekly bath, and it just peels away leaving nice, clean, white skin, but oh so strange and if he carries on at this rate, he'll be half bald in a month. His tail is non existent, there is no fur whatsoever at the end of it, and the more I brush it, the thinner it's getting

He's eating fine, he's pooping fine, he always asks to go outside, but during the night, when he's out in the bootroom on his ownsome (coz he likes the cool and has a bed out there), he sometimes leaves us a little present in the morning. His dementia is actually a lot better, he doesn't do the vacant looks anymore, or go outside and stand there staring, wondering what he went out there for, and all in all, he still seems to be very happy.

I have to leave the house with Zena via another exit, leaving him in the bootroom which is our normal route for going out, because in all honestly, I don't want him to know that we're taking our 2nd walk without him , so I do it this way, and it's no big deal, and when we get home, he's none the wiser, he just thinks he's been left in the bootroom whilst I went out shopping.....maybe!

So, my feeling is, when I chat to the vet on Monday, what sort of life is this for a dog, when he's been used to so much more Two days after a bath, the skin in his groin and armpits is very red and angry again, it can't be comfortable for the poor boy, and it's also getting rife on his neck and now spreading up to under his jaws What's the vet going to tell me??? We can keep him going on yet more ab's, he hates them, they must make him feel really c*ap, he's been on and off them since April this year, they have stopped working now for the mange imo, which means the cushings has now taken full control probably, so I will ask the vet if he can give me a humane answer, rather than a monetory answer (we can try this, we can try that, which I know they can't because they've already told me they can only "maintain" him now and that was way, way back 2 years ago now ).

So, here I am, looking into my heart and deciding what is the best option for the old boy. Dave's answer is, he's still very happy, he wants to be in the lounge with us in the evenings when we're there, he's in and out of the garden most days, he's eating well, so all the time we can keep him plodding on like this, there's no problem, until he can't get in or out or starts messing indoors. This he would never, ever do unless he had a real problem, I do know that much, and I've already sorted that one, by leaving him in the bootroom or kitchen when I go out for an hour or so. My heart is telling me, you can't just keep a dog like this for the sake of it, it's far better to let him go now, when he's relatively bright and painfree, knowing, that things just aren't going to get any better for him......or can you?! I really don't know, but as sure as eggs are eggs, I will know on Monday when I take him to the vet. I could be coming home alone, or I could be bringing Georgie back to carry on as he is, but is that fair? I honestly don't think it is. Maybe once he's given him a good checking over, if he thinks his internal organs are still up to it and strong enough, there's not a problem, he's not ill as such, but he sure has got a lot of problems going on elsewhere, what with the skin issues and those legs not to mention he's housebound now, that's the worst part for me, the quality of life he had which has gone

I dunno.....
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Aww, Helena. I was just thinking about you and Georgie this morning.

I really don't know what to say, because we all hope and pray for a miracle, don't we?

As you know, we were in the same situation with our 21 year old last Easter Monday. I was still begging the vet to give her some tablets....... but it wasn't to be

You and Georgie have been best friends since he came to live with you, and has had a life full of love and care ever since. He knows you will do your utmost for him. You will give your big teddy bear the best treatment ever.

Enjoy your weekend with your loyal chap, and hopefully the vet will have some uplifting news on Monday.

You take care, sweeheart, and give Georgie and Zena lots of hugs and love.

D x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
It's a hard one{{hugs}}
I had to make a similar decision with my first Beardie she was getting a bit confused sight and hearing weren't so good but she could still enjoy a short walk.
Eating well bowels fine but had to be let out before being fed as she would pee after food sometimes. All this was fine

One day I got up and her bowel control had gone she was pooing in the house as she had no control. That was what did it for me as she was such a clean dog normally. I had the vet come to the house and she was pts.

Do hope you have a little longer with Georgie
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I really feel for you, it is such a hard thing to decide and can see how hard it must be. Could you try and have a chat with your vet on the phone before you go just to talk everything over? Then when you take Georgie the vet can concentrate on checking him over.

We had this decision with our last dog. I think in the end we kept her going for our sakes if that makes sense but she couldn't be walked in the end due to having fits, she couldn't even get up the drive without having a fit and when she sat peeing in her bed she was layed in without even seeming to notice it was then we took her for her final vet trip I did have a talk with the vet before I took her, told him that everytime we thought we would take her she would perk up etc it was like she knew. He really helped us he was actually watching us let her have a wee on the grass outside and saw how much she was struggling.

Thinking of you, Georgie is well loved and he will know that, I really hope you get some more time with him.

Tracy xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Big (((hugs))) to you and Georgie.

I really don't know the answer for you it sounds like you are sort of prepared now to let him go but like we all do hoping for that mircale to happen.

As you know with Ollie he was fine in as much as he was eating, pooping fine still asking to be let out to go to the toilet but could not manage walks even short ones round the block. The tablets were not working and then the day he fell trying to toilet although his tail was still wagging we knew it would not get better only worse.

Such a heart wrenching decision but we all know you will only do what is kindest for Georgie. Who knows the vet may say he is still coping alright and to take things take week by week now.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
I have nothing to add that has not already been said Nechda Sheli - just sending you cyber huggles and love. xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
IME the dog will tell you when he`s had enough.
My last Oldie went to 16 and he was a devil for rallying when you though he had reached the end. I`d just steel myself to call the vet and the old beggar would start toddling round being His Grumpiness again. Bless him.
You know and love your dog, so you are the only one who will know when he has had enough. It is never easy.
X hugs to you both.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh Aitch, Georgie's quality of life seems ok to me (and to him) but it's not what you want for him...... perhaps it's time to let him "say" what's best for him?

I'm with Dave on this one, honey

x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:21 PM
You and Dave know Georgie best and you will know if he hasn't got that quality of life anymore.
We would all like to see him go on forever but that won't happen.
I know whatever happens on Monday you will do whats best for the dear old man.
Please give him a big cuddle from me xx
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
((hugs)) Helena xx
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »