Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Here we go again...new roof gets started Monday

OMG, this is the 3rd year we've been working on the house. 3 years ago we had the bathroom replaced, 2 years ago, we had all the rendering stripped back to the brick, replaced with UPVC cladding, new front door, new guttering and fascia's and last year it was the inside of the house, new carpet throughout, wood cladding on the walls throughout, complete redecoration.
If all of that wasn't enough, the scaffolders arrived today and the house is now surrounded so the work on completely replacing the roof can start Monday!
Ever feel like you'd just like to run away?
Once this is done, I'm never touching the house again. Next time something needs doing, we move!!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 07:58 PM
i know exactly how you feel ..
its taken us 2 years and we still havent finished our extension completely and then the neighbour downstairs put his house on the market which is the lower floor of ours and my dad suggested us buying it to make our house and the downstairs all one big house - which in itself would be amazing if we could afford it BUT there is no way i am starting all that work all over again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Trouble is, J, now you've spent so much money on it, you won't want to move - ever!

I spent thousands on my bathroom and toilet, and even more on my kitchen. Every time the thought of moving comes into my head, my heart says "how can you leave your bathroom, toilet and kitchen?"

Damn these voices in my head......

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
We'd been at it for 20 years here Jackie, and then last year we did it big time as you know, whereas normally it was just Dave or myself slogging away! I always remember my old dad saying to me when I bought my very own house at 25, with no husband, no boyfriend, just little old me holding down a good job, he said "now you'll never have your hands out of your pockets" and by golly he was right! When I think how much we must have spent in 20 years it would frighten me to death! Thank God houses rise so rapidly in price (well they still are down here!) just to keep up with what you have to do to them!

I feel for you, coz I don't think I will ever let another builder near our place, I've had it with all that mess and disruption. Next time we'll buy NEW, brand spanking new!

My new neighbours said to us the other week, he wants to find the bloke who built his house coz of all the work he's got to do to keep it standing! Lol! These were built in 1937, so there's always something to do, usually by Saint Dave!

If it gets too stressy, you know where to come, but don't forget to bring you know who!!!! xxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i know exactly how you feel ..
its taken us 2 years and we still havent finished our extension completely and then the neighbour downstairs put his house on the market which is the lower floor of ours and my dad suggested us buying it to make our house and the downstairs all one big house - which in itself would be amazing if we could afford it BUT there is no way i am starting all that work all over again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know Dani, it's a flaming nightmare. It never ends. The thing is with the house prices the way they are, you're so much better sorting your house out than trying to buy somewhere else

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Trouble is, J, now you've spent so much money on it, you won't want to move - ever!

I spent thousands on my bathroom and toilet, and even more on my kitchen. Every time the thought of moving comes into my head, my heart says "how can you leave your bathroom, toilet and kitchen?"

Damn these voices in my head......

I know Vicki, I have those voices in my head too. Thank goodness I'm at work next week, hopefully they'll be done quickly so I can have a peaceful week off the week after

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
We'd been at it for 20 years here Jackie, and then last year we did it big time as you know, whereas normally it was just Dave or myself slogging away! I always remember my old dad saying to me when I bought my very own house at 25, with no husband, no boyfriend, just little old me holding down a good job, he said "now you'll never have your hands out of your pockets" and by golly he was right! When I think how much we must have spent in 20 years it would frighten me to death! Thank God houses rise so rapidly in price (well they still are down here!) just to keep up with what you have to do to them!

I feel for you, coz I don't think I will ever let another builder near our place, I've had it with all that mess and disruption. Next time we'll buy NEW, brand spanking new!

My new neighbours said to us the other week, he wants to find the bloke who built his house coz of all the work he's got to do to keep it standing! Lol! These were built in 1937, so there's always something to do, usually by Saint Dave!

If it gets too stressy, you know where to come, but don't forget to bring you know who!!!! xxxxxxx
Don't know how you've survived what you've had done Aitch. Although a
lot of that was so your mum could come and live with you so that was your motivation.
Don't tempt me, you just might find Cassie and I on your doorstep LOL Especially since she's taken to licking the scaffolding poles in the yard Silly moo!xxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Know how you feel hun....5 years ago this was a shell.........had be abused by tenants, and the landlady lived in Wales so rarly came to see what they were doing. When we bought it, we had all the place re-wired, completely re-plastered, we have had to have the kitchen extension floor dug up as a pipe burst (sunday call out too) We've had a new-ish kitchen fitted, a new kitchen floor, a new bathroom, and men had to be called in to remove the old car from out of the BACK GARDEN.... a new drive and now I'm re-painting the outside of the bl**dy thing.........and I want to move Maybe in another 3/4 years.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Know how you feel hun....5 years ago this was a shell.........had be abused by tenants, and the landlady lived in Wales so rarly came to see what they were doing. When we bought it, we had all the place re-wired, completely re-plastered, we have had to have the kitchen extension floor dug up as a pipe burst (sunday call out too) We've had a new-ish kitchen fitted, a new kitchen floor, a new bathroom, and men had to be called in to remove the old car from out of the BACK GARDEN.... a new drive and now I'm re-painting the outside of the bl**dy thing.........and I want to move Maybe in another 3/4 years.
At least I know I'm not the only one Steph. You feel so good when it's finished but it's such a state while you're doing it. Hopefully all of our houses will increase in value for all the work we've done.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
At least I know I'm not the only one Steph. You feel so good when it's finished but it's such a state while you're doing it. Hopefully all of our houses will increase in value for all the work we've done.
With you there hun....remember the kitchen being done....OH! BOY...I lived with the New one in the dining room for 2 weeks, whilst the floor in the kitchen was being dried out after the pipe burst, went without cooking for god know how long (there are only so many micro-wave meals one can take).
But as for thr price, we bought for a tiny sum of £43,500.00 because so much work needed doing..............and that was a understatement. The last time we had it valued it was £140,000.00. However the price of houses are going down, so don't know what today's rate is. We are quite lucky though as we only have a 10 years of morgage, so as we are not first time buyers were probably in a better position than those who are, which I feel so very sorry for.
We do have a project for next year (hopefully) and that is to turn the loft into a bedroom with stairs, as this is only a two bedroom Victorian terrace. But that's in the pipeline still.
To be honest I adore this house, as they look small outside and they are big inside....I just don't like Birmingham, although born and bred here, it's gone to the dogs I'm afraid in a lot of areas.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
With you there hun....remember the kitchen being done....OH! BOY...I lived with the New one in the dining room for 2 weeks, whilst the floor in the kitchen was being dried out after the pipe burst, went without cooking for god know how long (there are only so many micro-wave meals one can take).
But as for thr price, we bought for a tiny sum of £43,500.00 because so much work needed doing..............and that was a understatement. The last time we had it valued it was £140,000.00. However the price of houses are going down, so don't know what today's rate is. We are quite lucky though as we only have a 10 years of morgage, so as we are not first time buyers were probably in a better position than those who are, which I feel so very sorry for.
We do have a project for next year (hopefully) and that is to turn the loft into a bedroom with stairs, as this is only a two bedroom Victorian terrace. But that's in the pipeline still.
To be honest I adore this house, as they look small outside and they are big inside....I just don't like Birmingham, although born and bred here, it's gone to the dogs I'm afraid in a lot of areas.
When we had all the render off, we lived with a pneumatic drill battering our eardrums and the worst dust ever for at least a week. It was horrific! Never again will I buy a house that's rendered, put me off for life.
When we had the inside done last year it wasn't too bad except just as we thought we were getting to the end of it, we had to rip the carpets up. I remember coming home from work to lovely redecoration and all the furniture in a heap; OH and Cassie were sat in a corner and everything piled up everywhere waiting for the carpet fitters. The underlay had gone to dust, so guess what? Yep, dust everywhere again. I could have cried.
Thankfully, this is the last big job and it's the original roof (100 odd years old) so we knew it needed doing but just dreading the actual doing. Thankfully our builder is one in a million and a real grafter so thank heavens for small mercies. I bought the house for £32,500 in 1998 and it's well over £100,000 before the new roof so still better off doing the work than moving. Will just be glad when it's done and we can actually have a holiday!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Once its all done, you won't have anything else to do - will you?
Actually I loved it when we did this house up - such a sense of achievement. Though we've lived here for 20 years, I think the only thing we've done in the last 5 has been repaint the living room and kitchen. I know it hasn't been constant doing.
Just like Steph, area here has gone downhill hence the selling up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >