Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Sugar-free cakes don't work???

I've tried two different banana cakes, both sugar-free but they don't rise. They seem to compress down to this hard stuff. .

Why?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't know to be honest Linda
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I don't know to be honest Linda
Awwww
I'm supposed to be a chemist but I can't understand it at all. I thought the rising was all to do with the beating of eggs and carbon dioxide being released from the sodium bicarbonate/SR Flour.

These cakes taste nice but it's like chewing toffee the next day!
:smt089 :smt089 :smt089

Go on, I can take it - am I being over-zealous by trying to keep Carys' diet free of added sugar when she's a year old???? She's never had added sugar - so far I've cooked/prepared all her food.

OMG sounds like I'm talking about Loki. There's a pattern emerging ...

But I'd really like to keep her first birthday added-sugar free. Maybe it's not possible if she has cake.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi, sorry you're having so many problems with the cake for your little girl, I don't know what to sugest about the banana cake, I seem to have the same problem, and myne are with sugar! , but one solution for a light cake is to seperate the eggs, and whip the whites up, and gently fold them in last of all, this has always worked for me, although I have never tried one without creaming the butter and sugar first, if you're trying for a banana cake because of the sweetness, have you tried carrot cake! hope this helps
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm not a parent but I wouldn't worry about trying to keep your daughters diet sugar free, eveything in moderation. It's the low/no added sugar stuff you need to be aware of because it means it is full of artificial sweetners which are bad for you.
Better off baking her a cake and try replacing the sugar with honey. Honey is sweeter than sugar and has less calories. It's 2 thirds honey to one of sugar.
Becky
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Make them with sugar lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 05:00 PM

I suppose a little teeny bit wouldn't hurt now. Awww I feel like I've failed now, we were doing so well.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
You're not a failure, how about making it as a strawberry gateau, that way she gets a fruit portion lol!
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Why not try something like a banana loaf, instead of cake, not a traditional birthday cake I know, and maybe spread the top with cream cheese or fromage frais (sp), I'm pretty sure you could find a recipe that doesn't use yeast or anything that may cause a reaction you don't know she has, and you're certainly not a failure, many mothers wouldn't even have gone to this length to try and find a sugar free recipe
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I`d go for a traditional cake but opt for a healthy topping filling such as used in carrot cake. Birthdays come but once a year and one cake with sugar in will not affect her diet at all...all things in mopderation.

Annabel Carmel has some amazing kids recipes in her books which are all healthy and balanced and specifically designed for kids.

Good luck with whatever option you decide on...She will have agreat time I`m sure.

Try this book for planning all your party food.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annabel-Karm...815983&sr=1-10
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >