Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Any age Tupac, most use it around the 6 month mark when the dog starts to pull too much.
Or whenever they discover it after the dog has been pulling for years!

Adam
and you think thats ok?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
That's disgusting - and I would consider it dog abuse.

This single post has pretty much convinced me they should be added to the partial ban, btw.

I agree totally.

the thought of using one on a 6mth old pup..

Adam, how would YOU teach a nice heel WITHOUT a pinch collar, and under what circumstances would YOU use one on YOUR own pet?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
and you think thats ok?
sadly, I think he does
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:33 PM
One of my pet hates in so many classes is the stay exercise
To me it is the easiest thing to teach and for the dog 'hey I just lay in this same spot, you run around like a loon and I get treats - thats easy'
But so many people punish the dog for moving not realising that the more insecure the dog becomes the more he wants to creep close to you for comfort and the more angry the owner gets - so the more the poor dog tries to creep forwards
Heartbreaking to watch - and unfortunatly when I have said something I am told I am speeking rubbish that the dog knows what he should be doing and is just being stubborn
I know exactly what you mean. We had a bloke turn up at class with a young GSD one night. The dog was showing signs of stress right from the start and he was correcting it really harshly. When it came to the sit stays instead of just stepping out right in front of the dog he insisted on trying to go right to the end of the room. Of course the dog kept breaking the stay and he'd grab it by the scruff of the neck, shake it and roar at it. Then he'd try again and the dog would be creeping forwards the moment he left it and he'd get even angrier which made the poor dog even more worried and likely to creep forwards. The instructor had words with him and he ended up storming out and never coming back.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Why dont you just put them on an 8 week old?? I use my training methods right from the start

Oh and you could use 3 to teach a down? and one on a extendy lead for a recal
and I bet 1 round a leg would teach a dog to give a paw??

Or lets just NOT!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:21 PM
If the dog is pulling agaianst the prong the prong itself is not a strong enough correction, e;g the pressurte pulling on it creates. So you would apply a stronger correction.

Most people intro prongs by having the dog on a 6' lead and doing several sharp about turns (think Mic martin on dog borstal) This is a very effective way of teaching the dog to keep a loose lead and follow you.

You can also use prongs with the standard pop and release lead correction, this also works fine.

Adam
My concern was the damage being done - if the dog is not responding to the prongs - you would want to release the pressure - how would you do this if the dog was pulling?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
If the dog is pulling agaianst the prong the prong itself is not a strong enough correction, e;g the pressurte pulling on it creates. So you would apply a stronger correction.

Most people intro prongs by having the dog on a 6' lead and doing several sharp about turns (think Mic martin on dog borstal) This is a very effective way of teaching the dog to keep a loose lead and follow you.

You can also use prongs with the standard pop and release lead correction, this also works fine.

Adam
Where do you draw the line? From reading this, it seems you might as well just put the boot in. This is not training, it's bullying the dog because it hasn't mastered walking along, stuck to you like glue. It seems anything goes (on puppies too; shameful!) and your posts have sickened me.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I agree totally.

the thought of using one on a 6mth old pup..

Adam, how would YOU teach a nice heel WITHOUT a pinch collar, and under what circumstances would YOU use one on YOUR own pet?
I don't think Adam uses prong collars very much.....he has 'other' instruments at his disposal for those 'simple' commands.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
someone is advocating using a spiked instrument around a dogs neck and turning the opposite way as well as applying pressure....even on puppies....they also advocate regularly that its ok to give a dog electric shocks...yet they are still a member of dogsey?
(sorry Adam but you have admitted this and you just refuse to learn other ways etc so it has to be asked)
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
When are they suitable? In which situation do they offer a solution where other 'kinder' methods don't work?
Any situation were you need on lead control.

Some examples of this, older gentleman and very large/strong gsd. Prong collar gave him control and confidence and stopped the pulling/lunging which allowed us to reward the dog for more positive behaviour.

3YR Boxer with reactivity issues on the lead, been owned since a pup and been to training classes ect. Totally manic on the lead when seeing another dog and would ignore treats ect even if you were 150 yrds away. Powerhouse of a dog and could easily pull his owner over if he took him unawares, even on a head collar (in fact he had huge rock like neck muscles from fighting the head collar), 1 hour with a prong and he was able to walk past other dogs without a fuss.

Adam

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 71 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »