Female 

09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Adam *denis* luuuurves Smokeybear
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
1 If you want to post a picture of me and/or use my name on this board you should a) ask my permission b) get your facts right c) and verify that both human and dog in the picture are connected.......

Really Adam, you undermine your own credibility by trying to undermine others.

But as Oscar Wilde once said, there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about and as I am a relentlessly fascinating person I would expect to be the centre of attention and discussion at all times!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Tell me about it. It's absolutely disgusting.

I actually went to a traditional training class with Rupert for a couple of years. It was the only class that would have us and they let me use the clicker and work at Ruperts pace. The difference between Rupert, the other 2 positively trained dogs and the traditionally trained dogs was really clear to me. Rupe wasn't the most obedient but he was one of the happiest, one of the most confident in trying new things and his personality just shone through the whole time. The other positively trained dogs were far more obedient but had the same confidence. The traditionally trained ones were offering a lot of calming signals, hesitant at trying new things, and just didn't seem anywhere near as happy while working. And this was far from a harsh class as classes go.
It is so sad that people just dont see that. they look at the result of the dog obaying, not how happy they are
I much prefer a happy dog to a obedient one - but the happier they are the better the want to please you too

One of my pet hates in so many classes is the stay exercise
To me it is the easiest thing to teach and for the dog 'hey I just lay in this same spot, you run around like a loon and I get treats - thats easy'
But so many people punish the dog for moving not realising that the more insecure the dog becomes the more he wants to creep close to you for comfort and the more angry the owner gets - so the more the poor dog tries to creep forwards
Heartbreaking to watch - and unfortunatly when I have said something I am told I am speeking rubbish that the dog knows what he should be doing and is just being stubborn
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Maybe I missed it, but Adam - would you care to answer the original question?

Are they ever suitable for pet/relatively inexperienced dog owners - when purchased online (i.e. without 1 to 1 training by a 'pro'?)
OOPS sorry kinda got sidetracked lol.

Yes they are suitable.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

Yes they are suitable.

Adam
at what age?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Explain to me....if a dog is pulling (end of the lead) how do you apply a weaker correction? (so as not to hurt the dog of course)
If the dog is pulling agaianst the prong the prong itself is not a strong enough correction, e;g the pressurte pulling on it creates. So you would apply a stronger correction.

Most people intro prongs by having the dog on a 6' lead and doing several sharp about turns (think Mic martin on dog borstal) This is a very effective way of teaching the dog to keep a loose lead and follow you.

You can also use prongs with the standard pop and release lead correction, this also works fine.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
OK, I know you are finding this hard to grasp but a change of position is just a change of position.

Your theory is flawed.

A dog is running and you call his name, he turns his head but carries on running. Has he changed his behaviour?

Same dog running, you call his name he turns and runs back to you. Has he changed his behaviour?
Yes on both counts.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Any age Tupac, most use it around the 6 month mark when the dog starts to pull too much.
Or whenever they discover it after the dog has been pulling for years!

Adam
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Yes they are suitable.

Adam
When are they suitable? In which situation do they offer a solution where other 'kinder' methods don't work?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
If the dog is pulling agaianst the prong the prong itself is not a strong enough correction, e;g the pressurte pulling on it creates. So you would apply a stronger correction.

Most people intro prongs by having the dog on a 6' lead and doing several sharp about turns (think Mic martin on dog borstal) This is a very effective way of teaching the dog to keep a loose lead and follow you.

You can also use prongs with the standard pop and release lead correction, this also works fine.

Adam
That's disgusting - and I would consider it dog abuse.

This single post has pretty much convinced me they should be added to the partial ban, btw.
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 71 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 70 > Last »