Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Whats your favourite hardy perennial?

Looking for something I dont have and a bit different of possible so thought I'd come here for suggestions

Ideally something that I can divide pretty much every other year as I have plenty space to fill

Oh yes and any suggestions for climbers other than clemtis that might like only getting the tea-time sun in summer?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Love bearded Iris - you can separate the clumps.
Also love hollyhocks and delphiniums.
Climbers - passionflower?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:17 PM
my choice for climber has to be passion flower as well
I'm a bit fond of blue how about African lillies or Eringynum
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I looked up the passionflower but it (RHS) says that even the hardiest of these may need winter protection...hmm, given our last couple of winters and the fact that I forgot about a couple of pots this year....that may not happen (oops) any more climber suggestions for a forgetful gardener? lol

I think, it would be getting sun from the west at about 5pm onwards and shaded at both north and south sides, early morning sun for an hour or two from the east...and thats about it.

Edit; I do like Iris' I have some in the front...think that might be nice along the side too....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
my choice for climber has to be passion flower as well
I'm a bit fond of blue how about African lillies or Eringynum
do you think Bergamot and African Lilly would look good near each other?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 12:25 AM
How about the Climbing Hydrangea?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Climbing honeysuckles? I think they're so pretty and the colours are always so beautiful.

My fave perennial is my houuuge buddleia, I love all the butterfly's it attracts, we get a lot of peacocks:
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Climbing honeysuckles? I think they're so pretty and the colours are always so beautiful
honeysuckle, planted it last year

was sitting in my garden last summer around dusk and the most beautiful sweet smell aroma started wafting around me, it was the honeysuckle, one of the moist beautiful smells of summer there is
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:54 PM
ooohh, climbing honeysuckle, that would remind me of being small, we used to have that near the front door....I will bear that one in mind, and the climbing Hydrangea's - Ive never seen the climbing ones before? I do have a couple in the front so would be nice at the side/back.

I have a rowan tree and would like something growing up it to fill the middle up as well as it hasnt been very welll trained at all as a 'youngster' lol

I know I will be scattering Nustuciums (sp?) but want to plant a young climber in this year at the other side to get a start for next year. I love clematis but it would more than likley take over and I'm not sure a Wisteria would do....

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - keep them coming, its nice to get other peoples ideas too....once spring summer comes I will try to get photos....
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a Eupatorium purpureum (Joe Pye weed) that I have to divide every few years as the clump grows so much. It is quite tall so I have it along the back of the flower bed.

And I have to brag about it a little, my original clump came from the long border at Arley Hall in Cheshire. I did a few days volunteering in the garden years ago in the autumn and one of the jobs was dividing the perennials up and the garden gave me a section to take home and it is still going strong!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >