Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
but the bloke who had 2 gsd's wasn't charged with manslaughter
and the outcome of that court case was Accidental death
The 2 GSDs were fighting each other & the guy who was killed tried to stop them despite being told by their owner to get away from the dogs, which is nothing like the little boy being killed by a dog, unless the dog was fighting with one of the other dogs & the little boy tried to stop them(which isn't very likely)Also GSDs are not a banned breed.

The two incidents cannot be considered similar.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Serious dog fighters do not use public places to train their dogs. Youths who 'roll' their dogs do not undertake serious training regimes.
Agreed. There are many proven techniques used for training fighting dogs. Hanging off trees isn't one of them.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not entirely certain what your point was in posting these links. Possibly you were trying to demonstrate to me that dog fighters really are using children's swings to train figting dogs. If that was the case then you have missed my point which was that sensationalist media (and populist politicians) are misrepresenting the situation.

What you are seeing is bored kids with their bored dogs indulging in petty vandalism but that'll never sell papers, eh? You will note (if you read carefully) that none of the articles you read on this subject will explain how the writer knows that the sinister motives they are ascribing actually apply.

Hype - 10
Substance - 0
weestumpy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I thought since you were making the claim that you would know the figures.

By the way, your claim cannot be justified on one year's figures. To argue a reduction you need to compare one year against another. Kinda basic.
Then ask for the 2007,2006,2005 figures, its not rocket science
weestumpy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
such a life you dont even intro yourself when you joined??????. LMAO at the old 'I have a life' excuse, go and read it yourself it is not my job to fill you in on responses to what you wrote earlier in the thread. Oh that's right you 'have a life' the age old excuse no one here but you has a life you are riduculous and as I said before you seem to only be on here on 3 other threads that were controversial so why don't you go back to your 'life'

Easy to state harder to back up
Again ask for 2007,2006,2005 Figures from the department. I know whats in it, so if you want to ask them for it, feel free.

Then maybe you dont like the fact that there has been a reduction in dogs destroyed. Strange form to be on.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not entirely certain what your point was in posting these links. Possibly you were trying to demonstrate to me that dog fighters really are using children's swings to train figting dogs. If that was the case then you have missed my point which was that sensationalist media (and populist politicians) are misrepresenting the situation.

What you are seeing is bored kids with their bored dogs indulging in petty vandalism but that'll never sell papers, eh? You will note (if you read carefully) that none of the articles you read on this subject will explain how the writer knows that the sinister motives they are ascribing actually apply.

Hype - 10
Substance - 0
your point appeared to be that playground swings are not used to help train fighting dogd, but you have no substance to your argument, whereas the links I posted from Northern Ireland, the Midlands, and Southern England prove otherwise, i.e. I have substanitive proof to the contrary, if you google it you'll find many manymore examples of this, is actually a very well known technique
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The 2 GSDs were fighting each other & the guy who was killed tried to stop them despite being told by their owner to get away from the dogs, which is nothing like the little boy being killed by a dog, unless the dog was fighting with one of the other dogs & the little boy tried to stop them(which isn't very likely)Also GSDs are not a banned breed.

The two incidents cannot be considered similar.
oh yeh of course your right.
okay the 2 rottwiellers that lived upstairs in a pub ???
they killed a baby that the owners were grandparents of
they were not charged with anything.
weestumpy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
such a life you dont even intro yourself when you joined??????. LMAO at the old 'I have a life' excuse, go and read it yourself it is not my job to fill you in on responses to what you wrote earlier in the thread. Oh that's right you 'have a life' the age old excuse no one here but you has a life you are riduculous and as I said before you seem to only be on here on 3 other threads that were controversial so why don't you go back to your 'life'

Easy to state harder to back up
Here is a few figures from the Department, want anymore, ask them.

Region 2008 Estimated no. of strays collected
north of Ireland 7,930
south of Ireland 7,942
England 67,048
Scotland 7,565
Wales 9,674

Who has the problem with dogs, funny it’s not the country that has dog licences. Funny that, must be a coincidence, cant be the fact that North and South Ireland have licences.

Northern Ireland
Year Strays Impounded
199985,47 Licences issued. Strays lifted 11,532

2000 81,512 Licences issued Strays lifted 10,154

2001 80,734 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,150

2002 89,664 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,635

2003 91,115 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,163

2004 94,909 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,145

2005 95,367 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,918

2006 102,991 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,842

2007 106,287 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,767

2008 114,208 Licences issued Strays lifted 7,930

Oh yet another funny coincidence, the country with dog licences has seen a overall reduction in stray dogs.

Must have nothing to do with dog licences
lynne11
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2009, 11:41 PM
it was fact that it was an illegal dog,apparently owner on bail with man slaughter charges pending
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by weestumpy View Post
Here is a few figures from the Department, want anymore, ask them.

Region 2008 Estimated no. of strays collected
north of Ireland 7,930
south of Ireland 7,942
England 67,048
Scotland 7,565
Wales 9,674

Who has a bigger problem with dogs per

capita????? by fully disclosing the info it reveals Northern Ireland has, reading

yours makes it look good but with more comprehensive data in states Northern

Ireland is still the country with a bigger problem even though it has dog

licencing laws!!!!

Northern Ireland
Year Strays Impounded
199985,47 Licences issued. Strays lifted 11,532

2000 81,512 Licences issued Strays lifted 10,154

2001 80,734 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,150

2002 89,664 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,635

2003 91,115 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,163

2004 94,909 Licences issued Strays lifted 9,145

2005 95,367 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,918

2006 102,991 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,842

2007 106,287 Licences issued Strays lifted 8,767

2008 114,208 Licences issued Strays lifted 7,930

Oh yet another funny coincidence, the country with dog licences has seen a overall reduction in stray dogs.

Must have nothing to do with dog licences
love stats but on reading more gives a much more comprehensive insight to the actual effect the laws are having,
they reduced the number of strays collected but still have the highest rate of strays
However, we still have the highest number of strays impounded per head of population of any part of these islands – 470 strays for every 100,000 people here. This is significantly higher than in Wales, more than twice the level in the south, and three times higher than in England or Scotland.

also unwanted or uncollected dogs dropped by 1000 but since 2002 have had no real reduction, not a significant number as strays impounded

Attacks on people or animals have not decreased at all

There is a continuing problem with attacks by dogs on people. Over the last ten years, the number of dog attacks on people here has remained fairly constant, averaging around 745 each year

Attacks on livestock has done nothing but maybe a slight increase

One of the main aims of dog control legislation in the past has been the need to reduce the incidence of dogs attacking or worrying livestock. However, the 1983 Order appears to have had limited effect. Figures for 1999 - 2008 show no clear trend, although 2008 saw many more incidents than previous years as illustrated in Table 4

So basically the licencing laws of owning a dog have a fairly benign effect on anything except the collection of strays which from 2002 have not had any significant number reduction at all
These were the 2008 data in reviewing the law since 1999

These statements were obtained from this site
http://www.dardni.gov.uk/dog-control...ation-document
on downloading the consultation document
I am totally for dogs weestumpy, but laws are only as good as their implementation and effectiveness unfortunately Northern Ireland is a good example of dog licencing laws being ineffective.
Page 49 of 53 « First < 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 > Last »