register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is most important when buying food?
Organic 0 0%
Welfare 14 51.85%
Price 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I voted price due to not earning a lot. However I buy free range eggs and what meat I do buy I make sure it is at least British and tomorrow I will be making sure the lamb I'm getting for this weekend is British and Free range..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Having been a vegetarian for 17 years and only recently gotten back into eating meat, I eat very little meat actually. I very rarely buy chicken but if I do it's corn fed free range, all eggs are free range. My preferred meat is steak but I admit I dont choose the organic option, but I always ensure the meat is British. I dont eat any other meat, deffo never pork or lamb.

I dont eat fruit or veg so dont have to make a choice on that one!
Ok I give up, if you were a vegetarian for 17 years and you do not eat fruit or veg, what did you eat?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ok I give up, if you were a vegetarian for 17 years and you do not eat fruit or veg, what did you eat?
Lol, thats the 64 billion dollar question!

I think it was mainly pasta, pizza and chocolate with a few soya based products thrown in now and then! Actually, I told a fib as I do eat potatoes but other than that, I dont consume a single other fruit or veg

The limited food choices I had started to take their toll a bit hence why I put meat back into my diet (i'd always liked meat, just made a choice not to eat it, or fish).
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
mmm, don't like his argument tbh. He is basically saying sod the chicken, he doesn't care if it has a rubbish life. He doesn't even seem guilty of that fact and is quite pleased that he can admit it.

Helen
Her argument But fair enough, I don't expect everyone to agree with it. I don't entirely either but she makes some good points, I think. In particular this -

The views put forward in ‘The Big Food Fight’ season are increasingly common ones espoused by an evangelical fooderati. This isn’t about chickens at all. It’s about a disgust at large-scale food production, our unhindered consumerism, our uneducated palates, all-powerful supermarkets, and our supposedly gross overconsumption. Packing a third less chickens in a factory shed and giving them rubber balls to play with, as illustrated in Hugh’s Chicken Run, is about making us feel a little bit better about eating them. The discussion about what’s ‘natural’ for chickens also helps to maintain a Disneyfied image of what farming looks like – something that looks rather like the River Cottage world we’ve watched over the past few years. As Fearnley-Whittingstall says in this new show, ‘this isn’t farming as I know it’. But River Cottage shows farming for the privileged few; it’s not the way you feed a nation of 60million people.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Price

I don't eat meat, don't really like eggs but when i buy them for cooking always buy free range, and don't go through a lot of dairy.

But I have about £40 a week to live off atm (thankfully not for much longer!) but i have to keep things as cheap as i can!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Her argument But fair enough, I don't expect everyone to agree with it. I don't entirely either but she makes some good points, I think. In particular this - But River Cottage shows farming for the privileged few; it’s not the way you feed a nation of 60million people
Oh, definitely. Maybe, as others have said, we just need to stop eating as much meat as we do.

Helen
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Oh, definitely. Maybe, as others have said, we just need to stop eating as much meat as we do.

Helen
I think this is what it all boils down too. As a nation, we do eat far too much meat, and lets face it, much of it is rubbish.

No one needs to eat meat every single day (or fish) Certainly no one needs to be eating Hot Dogs
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Much as I would love to shop totally based on welfare, funds just won't allow these days.
Same here. £14 for a F/R organic chicken is too expensive for me unfortunately.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3