Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Bewildered and confused

When our previous dogs have got old and suffered from dementia they have all been small enough for me to scoop up and reassure with a cuddle and soothing word. I have carried them away from whatever is upsetting them and we managed them quite well for several years. Mollie is the diggest dog we have had and is now starting to have bad days where she gets quite confused and bewildered with some things. Yesterday was a classic where she wandered into the bathroom and just sat in the shower looking completely bewildered, no amount of calling her or trying to lead her from the situation would calm her down, I felt I needed to pick her up but being larger and me being weaker now I just couldn't do it.

She is fine most of the time almost puppy like with her daftness but this confusion is quite upsetting.

I just wondered how everyone else has coped with this time of life and any tips would be very welcome.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Awwww bless her heart. Perhaps her eyesight and her hearing are affected in her old age, maybe she can't hear you calling her, and if her eyesight is poor, she might be confused because she's got herself into the bathroom but can't see where she is! Is it big enough for her to turn around and get out with some encouragement from you?

My last old boy who was nearly 14 used to do this, but I used to wrap my arms around him and coax him out of a tight spot. He used to go into the wrong side of the door when I'd opened it most of the times instead of the open hole I'd made with the door, he'd go behind it, so I'd gently manouvre him round to the right side.

I suppose we just have to help them all we can, but if a vet trip isn't out of the question, it might be a good idea just to get confirmation from the vet that she can see and hear ok.

Awwww, love our oldies Good luck with her, bend down and cuddle her lots if you can just to let her know you're there.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Vet told us her sight was failing a bit it's hard to tell with her hearing as she has always had selective hearing anyway but that could be part of it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Is she on medication? A friend had a dog with dementia and was helped that way - although it did make him very sleepy.
He made himself a den in her wardrobe and used to go there a lot when he got distressed. Does yours have a den?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes we have a large throw over a corner table we usually only do it during firework season as she hates them, but we have it permanently in place now so she has her duvet and pillows to lounge on and loves it.

She started on medication about 4 months ago the vet said if it didn't start working in that time it probably wouldn't do anything to help, and we noticed no improvement if anything she was getting worse.

At the moment she has good days and bad days - yesterday was her worst but today she is bright as a button and we had a lovely walk in the woods and she has been fine all day.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Our dog Buster,15 has dementia
He would wander round ,looking lost,stand and stare for ages and wasnt able to settle especially at night

We tried Vivitonin and it didnt help at all.

I went on 3 forums sites desperate for help as it was so distressing to see him and so exhausting sometimes for both him and us

Someone recommended Aktivait-its a supplement not a medication,so I was a bit doubtful it would help.
Bust it has made a great difference to him
He is now far less "spaced out",
he sleeps until about 6 a.m-whereas before he would have us up at 2 or 3 a.m and would pace for hours
It helped him within a week or so and Im so glad I found it

P.M me if I can help in any way
What medication is she on?

Maureen
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
It was aktivait we had her on, vet was not sure vivitonin would help her and preferred aktivait. As I said he told us it would work quite quickly or not at all and sadly it was not at all. Glad you are having better luck with it.

Heading down to our caravan at the weekend she is always a bit brighter and happier there so hoping it picks her up again, although she was fine yesterday and not too bad today. It's odd how it is a day here and there at the moment where she is confused, rest of the time it's like she has forgotten her age and returned to puppy hood. Mad zoomies round the room and some acrobatics we haven't witnessed for well over 8 years.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I`d try the Vivitonin. It helps some dogs - so it is worth giving it a try.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Will speak to the vet as you say it might work so worth a try.