Female 

21-03-2014, 11:32 AM
From the Dangerous dogs act 1991

"Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them

A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures someone’s animal
the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal"
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I think its the owner, not only in this case either, who is dangerously out of control!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Sorry to read this Lucky. Same thing exactly when the GSD went for Bella - owner no doubt thought it would make me feel better if he mercilessly then beat the GSD with a chain lead. IDIOTS.

Made me feel worse actually. His dog no doubt ending up in more pain and with worse bruises than Bella with her grazes and scrapes.

I'm confused having read so often that nothing will be done about dog on dog attacks. However, his were not under control and yours was.

I should imagine no one wants to see a day when it is pronounced that ALL dogs have to be kept leashed at ALL times when out. Not just in 'public places'.

And this could have happened if you and your dog were in a field miles from anywhere and he turned up with his two.

As you said - made you feel worse than your dog. That wouldn't have been the case with some dogs though. Esp. much smaller timid breeds. They can remember it for life and it can change the way they behave forever.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Apart from biting Loki, if there had been a bicycle or moped coming down the cycle track the dog would have run out in front of it, maybe causing injury to the rider. It had to cross the cycle track to get to us.

Yes, I did indeed feel sorry for the dog being whacked - the owner put the dog in that situation.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Poor Loki and Poor You *hugs* xxxxx to you both xxxxx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 02:32 PM
All incidents like this really should be reported to the Dog Warden. They may not have a lot of power in dog on dog attacks, but if they get enough complaints maybe, just maybe they will be able to take stronger action

I hope Loki is OK now and that the incident doesn't bring on any more seizures. It really is appalling that we can't take our dogs out without being worried about dangerous dog owners
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Aw Linda so sorry to hear that Loki was bitten by the greyhound. It should have been on a lead. When my Loki was attacked by two loose Staffies a few years ago (they had escaped from a nearby garden) they pinned her to the ground and she ended up losing a small piece off her tongue, so I know and understand what you must have felt. I was lucky in that a chap came running over and kicked both Staffies and they ran across the road and my local shopkeeper took them in and shut the door on them until I got Loki up the road. I called the police but they were next to useless. I told them where the dogs stayed but because I didn't know the name of the owner, they said they could do nothing!! Well, one of the dogs the following year attacked a wee kiddy and it was then removed by the police!

It must have been so frightening for Loki, especially after fitting again - so sorry to hear that as well.

Big hugs to Loki from me and cousin Loki sends her cuddles xxxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Poor Loki goes through enough without this too
Hope you're both ok LS...(( hugs))
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All incidents like this really should be reported to the Dog Warden. They may not have a lot of power in dog on dog attacks, but if they get enough complaints maybe, just maybe they will be able to take stronger action

I hope Loki is OK now and that the incident doesn't bring on any more seizures. It really is appalling that we can't take our dogs out without being worried about dangerous dog owners
Yes I agree. I say the same about minor interference with cars parked etc. People moaning and complaining that their aeriel got bent or their windscreen wipers wrenched or scratches down the doors. But not 'reporting it officcially' because they don't think anything can be done.

But, if the police got pestered with enough complaints from the same road or carpark or area - maybe just maybe they would send someone along to take a little look or keep an eye out. Or maybe just the presence of a policeman might frighten the person causing the damage?

I was disgusted here when Police wouldn't come out to an elderly lady in a block nearby who had two blokes trying to get into her apartment by one ringing the bell and keep her talking while the other hopped over the verandah to presumably just lift whatever he could while she wasn't looking. Well she looked thro her door peephole and would not open the door as she did not recognise the face so he was unable to keep her talking long. As she turned away she saw the other one walking in!

He scarpered up and over the roof and she called the Police and told them that she could give a good description of both of them. They wouldn't come out because nothing had been stolen!

My view was that they were probably 'local' because hers is the only flat in that block that doesn't have a 'roof' over her verandah so they can hop down from the roof (otherwise it would involve some sort of absailing) and her husband had just gone out to get the papers and whatever so they probably waited for him to do that - he was quite regular in his habits. So the chances are that they would have either seen the police turn up or at least hear about it (bound to as it's quite a big thing here to have the Police come about anything) and that might have had a DETERRENT EFFECT on them.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Poor you and poor Loki. It is just horrible when an out-of-control dog races over to you and then the realisation that its not friendly Very frightening for you but hopefully Loki was OK. Time will tell whether he reacts to another off lead dog coming over to him.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >