Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:03 PM

What is a 'Status Dog'?

Reading a few threads on different forums, and I just wondered what people thought constituted a status dog? The minute you mention the term, Staffies, and other bull type breeds spring to mind, and yet I include things like cockapoos, and the wolf like breeds in my mind, people want them because of the way they look, and the reaction they will get owning such a dog.

Now I'm aware there's a few owners of NI's, CSV's, Ute's etc on here, and I'd be interested to hear their views of the ownership and abuse of owning this type of cross breed, along with other 'status' dogs. When I was doing a stand at a very busy agricultural show earlier this year, there was a lady next to me who bred cockerpoo's, and I was dismayed to hear the usual myths she was spouting about no need for health testing, non-shedding etc, etc, and people queueing up to cuddle the cockapoos, and what a cute name!

I own Labradors, hardly unpopular, and unfortunately, greatly abused. The chocolate Lab has been the target of bad breeders for many years, and the fox red is starting to attract similar attention, people always seem to veer towards the rare, unusual, or something that looks different.

I'd be interested to hear what others view as status dogs, is it just the dogs that 'chavs' own to make the look hard, or does it stretch to the rare, unusual, pedigree or cross breed? And just a note, I'm not out to offend any owners of said cross breeds, having admitted that the breed I own is open to exactly the same sort of exploitation, I hope it can be discussed without any offence taken on any part of dog owners, whether pedigrees or cross breeds.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
No offence taken

Louie is often fussed loads as people see him as just a choc lab with an unusual white flash on his chest then when I explain he is part springer the magic seems to wander away.

But round here it is mainly staffies and AMB that chavs own - poor things.
Rotties were a popular one and also there is a couple of very illegal pit bulls around here but one is extremely friendly with every one and everything and would hate to see it have to be put down because someones reported it.

Shih Tzus and Pugs and crosses with them in seem to be popular too.

But mainly the big hard dogs around here
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
A status dog is any breed owned simply to make the owner seem more important than they really are.

I think some of the designer cross breeds are more a fashion accessory than status dog
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
A status dog is any breed owned simply to make the owner seem more important than they really are.

I think some of the designer cross breeds are more a fashion accessory than status dog
Totally agree - although my dogs are dogs I didnt even know Sadie was classed as a Border-Jack until this year - she's always been a mongrel as with the other two
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Sums it up.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:26 PM

But don't you feel sometimes, that those fashion accessories afford their owner an 'elite' status, as in, I've got a 'chavapoo' (completely made up but you get what I mean), ie, I own something no-one else, or not many people own??
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I guess that also might extend to "any type of dog which the owner will believe [may] be protective."

There have been owners of that ilk around for decades if not throughout history, and with the current dog legislation it's somewhat unfair to expect a dog to be protective.

I confess I do appreciate my dog's protective side BUT these days it is more likely to get him into trouble, and me.

Sometimes I feel the current laws are pushing for a non-doglike dog... since almost any breed has the potential to protect its territory and family members.

The next stage in DDA is going to legislate against dogs that attack on their own territory... OK so that is fine for Postmen BUT they are already covered under an earlier act.... (my sister had issues with that 20 yrs ago when her GSD bit the postman!).

What this law is really going for are the people whose out of control dogs attack children and babies, but not most family dogs of any breed who can certainly tell the difference between a burger and a burglar in their own home.

It's almost going towards 'Dogs Should be Seen But Not Heard' (or felt...lol).

Anyone who can come up with a new Designer crossbreed that is small, does not moult, is hypo-allergenic, does not bark *ever* and does not bite or defend its territory but at the same time is immensely trainable... is on a winner.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Reading a few threads on different forums, and I just wondered what people thought constituted a status dog?
Unfortunately these days it's whatever the media decides.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Status dogs have changed over the years it used to be gsd's and dobes followed by rotties ..
Today its staffs and their crosses ,mastiff types and their crosses.
Whats next i wonder ?
The mountain dogs from russia maybe??
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
To me a status dog is a dog owned by someone who wants to be noticed and perceived as being of some 'type' of person because of the breed or 'type' of dog they own. Regardless of the breed...whether it be chav with a staffie or a princess with a chihuahua ... or a hippy with a wolf or two
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >