Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i had phoebe spayed at about 18 months old. she changed alot but i always blamed the "teenage years" thing but have since been told it could have been getting spayed. I had none of the behaviour problems, allergies or any thing before that time but never really put the two together. Im still not 100% convinced that spaying her is to blame but i will be putting a lot more thought and research in to it with my next dog. didnt really know about the other options. It was the best thing to do in our situation her season was so heavy it looked like somebody was murdered in our house and i never had any intention to breed her and wanted the idea taken away. Had i know or been advised of other options i would have thought about it
I sympathise with your position - it's incredibly frustrating to find that 'experts' either are not aware of the latest research, or purposely fail to disclose or discuss it with you.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Well I know that OV are more expensive than OVH, have asked around and got several vets views on it.

It requires special equipment and further training.

There are all sorts of factors to take into account when considering neutering.

Environment
Other household dogs
Owner skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience
Role of dog

To name but a few.

I do not think it is clear cut (sorry) in any case I am against "BANS" except in extreme cases. Neutering is not, IMV, extreme.

What I would hope for is better education for owners to enable them to make informed decisions and for many people to stop prefacing any discussion about neutering with phrases such as

"Neutering is a sign that you are a responsible owner"

No it is not.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I do wish vets wouldn't push routine early neutering, but on the other hand I don't think it should be outlawed. Rather than banning, educating is the key IMO.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I really don't know to be honest. I am sick to death of being told I'm going to end up with a sex crazed, humping, out of control, aggressive maniac of a dog if I don't get him neutered before he's 18 months old though My vet is horrified that I'm refusing to neuter him despite these horror stories.

I've not noticed any difference between the neutered and intact dogs I've had. However the neutered ones weren't neutered until they were physically and mentally mature.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I really don't know to be honest. I am sick to death of being told I'm going to end up with a sex crazed, humping, out of control, aggressive maniac of a dog if I don't get him neutered before he's 18 months old though My vet is horrified that I'm refusing to neuter him despite these horror stories.

I've not noticed any difference between the neutered and intact dogs I've had. However the neutered ones weren't neutered until they were physically and mentally mature.
I do agree with you tbh, it should be up to the owner however if they haven't got them neutered extra precautions should be used i.e. asking owners whether their dog is entire/in season before they get to each other.
I've seen on many cases entire males being much nicer than neutered
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I am not for or against, it just depends and anyone who thinks one way is better for all dogs is an idiot----IMHO of course
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I personally think that neutering males before they are sexually mature (over 2 yrs old in large breeds) is asking for behavioural problems. Before sexual maturity, it is my understanding that males can have difficulty getting over the teenage fears and phobias if castrated and I think this might some of the reasons we are seeing many reactive rescue dogs. Testosterone matures the brain as well as the body.
This, coupled with the emerging cancer risks makes me very unwilling to castrate a male dog and I am in agreement with others that owners should be much more informed of All risks of early neutering and I hate the fact that many rescues insist on puppy neutering (a 6 month old IS still a puppy!).
I had never heard of zinc therapy before Azz! I shall take a look at that.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I am not for or against, it just depends and anyone who thinks one way is better for all dogs is an idiot----IMHO of course
In a discussion, the only idiot is the one who can't articulate their viewpoint without personal attacks.

Please read our posting guidelines about conduct on these forums before posting again - or your posting privileges and/or membership will be removed.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:21 PM
No, I don't think routine castrations should be banned.

From a rescue point of view, whilst I don't think neutering young dogs is in their best interests, I can understand that they believe it is in the best interests of dogs as a whole. Accidents do happen, dogs do get out of gardens, and it is surely better that two neutered dogs meet, than another litter of unwanted puppies is produced. Most people on here are much more responsible than the general dog owning public, and even amongst us people have have dogs escape.

From a personal point of view, I had my dogs neutered. Simon when I first got him at 2 1/2, and Jake at about 18 months. They were never ever going to be allowed to have sex. What is so wrong in me taking away their desire too?
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Having now had a look at the zinc/arginine neutering that Azz posted about
I think this might well be the future for dogs in rescue situations where preventing unwanted litters is the end-goal.
It seems that in the US they are training up rescue center vets in the procedure this year.
Personally I would prefer to see the long-term effects of this neutering as trials do not seem to be longer than 5 yrs. It does look promising though!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >