View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Pepsi continually licking leg and rubbing eye.

I'm sure that I once read that a dog will sometimes lick a leg that actually is not the poorly leg. Like a right leg may be hurting but they will lick the left. I know, odd and I probably dreamed it!
Yesterday I noticed that Pepsi's had a gunky left eye, that I bathed with cotton wool and saline.
Last night she kept me awake licking and biting her left foot non stop.
Today her eye is still "gunky". She keeps rubbing it with her left foot and then lick, lick of her left foot.
Thoughts please
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 04:54 PM
My old lad Sam used to consistently lick at his front paw when his hips were hurting him so it is possible that Pepsi is licking because her eye is a little sore.

It could also be that she is rubbing her eye with her paw and licking the 'gunk' off her paw or that she's putting saliva on the paw and then rubbing the eye in an attempt to relieve it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Awww poor Pepsi. Chris's explanation sounds reasonable.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Hi Jenny, not sure I can help but as it happens on our first visit to local vet about a week ago she asked if Rianna was licking her paws a lot.

I said "No" but subsequently I've looked a bit more and she does seem to be licking her paws more than she did a year or so back.

So it seems to be something vets look out for and maybe they should give Pepsi a check over. We're due to take Rianna in again in two weeks and I must remember to ask the vet why she was interested in this.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks Chris, those are the explanations I'm thinking of. I have just bathed her eye again and it is quite bloodshot. So I think it will be a visit to the vet on Monday.
Thanks Lynn it must be irritating for her.....it's driving me mad
Losos, I will let you know what the vet says on Monday but I would be interested to hear what your vet has to say
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Think the vet visit is a good idea NJ.
Could be conjunctivitis in her eye or even an allergy.Lacey does the paw licking,bloodshot gunky eye but only in the summer time.Sometimes has antibiotic drops from the vet for her eye and half a piriton a day to help with the itch,really does help.Got the vets go ahead with the piriton Just need to be really careful that she doesn't scratch the surface of her eye Untill the vet visit.Think you're doing the right thing for now with the bathing.Fingers crossed wee Pepsi is ok xx
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Georgina my Pei suffered from severe entropion when she was younger and would scratch her eyes, sometimes non stop because they were so painful. She would also clean her paws after she'd scratched her eyes. I used to bathe her eyes with camomile tea ... made with a tea bag which I find is more soothing than a saline solution.

When you take Pepsi to the vet it might be an idea to ask him/her to check that Pepsi has no scratches on her cornea. It's a simple procedure which requires staining the cornea with green solution which shows any area that might have been damaged.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Losos, I will let you know what the vet says on Monday but I would be interested to hear what your vet has to say
Thanks, I will let you know, always useful to compare notes.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 07:00 PM
How is Pepsi today NJ?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Lacey I have to admit I hadn't thought of an allergy. Today it is less red and doesn't seem to be bothering her so much but I'm still having to wipe away the gunk.
Chlosmum, I have been worrying about her scratching the cornea (seen it often enough in humans) so yes I will get the vet to check. Thank you.
Hahaha Lacey I've just seen you,re latest post, you must be psychic, I was just posting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >