Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
And I think the slating that crosses have got (real or perceived) has made buyers more aware of this. If you look on any of the cross forums they will have masses of posts about what tests you should have and not to buy without them.

I would like to see this for other types/breeds of dogs but we have no organisation to enforce this and the breeders who control the KC will only engage in self regulation if it suits them. Health tests are expensive so I guess that self regulation is a way off.
Any I've looked on haven't. Infact I've only ever saw pedigrees that are fake and actually very anoyed to see some of them are Blu's!! None of these owners would allow their dog to be used in this way because all you have to do is mention it and they go crazy.

Luckily my breed (the size I own atleast) has it's health problems sorted out in general. PRA was a huge problem but now most lines are clear apart from pet ones. I've been told the reason there is hardly any white show mins is because of the PRA and they decided it was better to stop breeding them and import instead. Not sure how true this is but sounds responsible enough to me!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I asked you about Mexican Hairless and why they sometimes cost in excess of £1200 and are not hairless.

I think you should read your own posts before you use words like belittling - you keep inferring that you know the "mess" cross-breeding has caused and the rest of us are not aware (and both points I disagree with you on)
and I told you I know NOTHING about the breed or how much their sold for... but I do know their established so why you have mentioned them I dont know - ohh yes like always with you.. Pedigree VS crosses...
I didnt say that I said I have seen the mess cross breeding can cause...Of course others have seen It crosses end up In rescues hourly.
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Dictionary definition or mine?

IMO - Someone who breeds purely for profit, someone who fails to check health and or temperament of the individual parents and their relations. Someone who cannot/or will not provide lifetime support for the pups. Producing pups without homes lined up.

The list goes on.
Cool...

...... so what would you consider under "check health" ?
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Any I've looked on haven't. Infact I've only ever saw pedigrees that are fake and actually very anoyed to see some of them are Blu's!! None of these owners would allow their dog to be used in this way because all you have to do is mention it and they go crazy.

Luckily my breed (the size I own atleast) has it's health problems sorted out in general. PRA was a huge problem but now most lines are clear apart from pet ones. I've been told the reason there is hardly any white show mins is because of the PRA and they decided it was better to stop breeding them and import instead. Not sure how true this is but sounds responsible enough to me!
Then you haven't looked on any based in this country I'm afraid. Even my own (which is not a 'serious' forum) has long posts about DNA.. PennHip etc etc.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Some posts have been removed subject to our Posting Guidelines. Please spend a few minutes to refresh your memory of them.

Thanks.
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
and I told you I know NOTHING about the breed or how much their sold for... but I do know their established so why you have mentioned them I dont know - ohh yes like always with you.. Pedigree VS crosses...
I didnt say that I said I have seen the mess cross breeding can cause...Of course others have seen It crosses end up In rescues hourly.
Because "established" means nothing. Is it because they were a designer breed but now the nice man at the KC says you can have a piece paper, then you don't need to be bothered about how they're bred?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Because "established" means nothing. Is it because they were a designer breed but now the nice man at the KC says you can have a piece paper, then you don't need to be bothered about how they're bred?
ermm of course you need to be bothered how EVERY dog Is bred. I wouldnt go to anyone that didnt health test, that didnt do activites with their dogs like showing, working, agility Yada Yada....But you still havent answered why you are questioning me on the mexican hairless????
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
No let me check???? we are owners not breeders and got ours from respectable breeders - it does happen you know....that said I am off.
I'm sorry - I do not know whether you are breeders or just owners....or where you got your dogs from.

I happen to have a dog here from someone I would class as irresponsible...and she breeds Labradoodles as well. So I am well aware of what goes on.

I find it very sad that people choose to close their eyes to the issues within breeds or crosses. Education is always going to be the key with regards to helping people choose the right dog and also the right person who has produced it.
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ermm of course you need to be bothered how EVERY dog Is bred. I wouldnt go to anyone that didnt health test, that didnt do activites with their dogs like showing, working, agility Yada Yada....But you still havent answered why you are questioning me on the mexican hairless????
Because its a registered breed and you seem to think registered breeds are OK and have nothing to answer?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Cool...

...... so what would you consider under "check health" ?
Depends on the breeds involved.

ETA - I only really know about BCs ad what is expected (or should be) in them, so when people ask me I usually direct them towards breed societies etc who can help them get a better view.

I always tell people of this type of cross to be aware of the both the parent breeds and if they are looking to breed to get the tests done that you would for both.
Page 20 of 53 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »