View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Fingers crossed they have the desire result for Ollie. Gentle hugs to him and both of you too.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh I do so hope that Ollie responds well to the steroids.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
Fingers crossed they have the desire result for Ollie. Gentle hugs to him and both of you too.
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh I do so hope that Ollie responds well to the steroids.
Thank you both.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Just sending Ollie some more (((hugs))) I really hope the steriods do the trick.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Just sending Ollie some more (((hugs))) I really hope the steriods do the trick.
Thank you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Lynn........I have just spoken to my friend who has had six of these wonderful, but medically difficult dogs.

She has given me the number of a lady, Jude Simmons, who is a worldwide renowned expert on the breed and who has been incredibly helpful to her in the past. Vets sometimes, in spite of their best efforts, just don't "get" the problems with Bernese dogs.

I will pm you her number..........just ring and leave a message and she will get back to you. It can do no harm, and you never know, she just might know what is going on with Ollie
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Lynn........I have just spoken to my friend who has had six of these wonderful, but medically difficult dogs.

She has given me the number of a lady, Jude Simmons, who is a worldwide renowned expert on the breed and who has been incredibly helpful to her in the past. Vets sometimes, in spite of their best efforts, just don't "get" the problems with Bernese dogs.

I will pm you her number..........just ring and leave a message and she will get back to you. It can do no harm, and you never know, she just might know what is going on with Ollie
Thank you very much. I know what you mean some vets are excellent and especially Nadia but they are an unusual breed over here and like you say can be a difficult breed health wise and have problems that no other breed shows up.

I researched them inside out but found even more information the other night while sat here googling trying to figure out this conundrum and discovered that this is around the age most will show up muskoskeletal (sp) disease. If could find out somethings that may help others in the future so Nadia and our regular vet could put on record in case anyone else came to them with similar problems it may save them having to test as much as we have had too and still be in the dark and have some ideas but noting in concrete.

This might sound terrible but we had discussed if the vet school had asked for an autopsy we couldn't afford one now we would of likely said yes not only for our benefit but again for the benefit of others with any breed but mostly for those with this beautiful breed. If it comes back or he declines in any way and they ask we would still consider it.
For those very reasons.

I will give her a ring thank you very much for the information.

Today so far. We had a very strong bark at the bottom of the stairs around 7 am. He was desperate for a wee Gorden took him and said it was hard t tell how his walking is he was in such a hurry.

We went back to bed and had a cuppa 15 minutes later another bark he wanted his breakfast he seems to be walking a little better and when he stood for his breakfast his back legs which are presenting much like a GSD at the moment seemed a little straighter. I will know more with his walking on our next toilet trip and when it is a bit lighter.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Sounds like the steroids are getting into his system Lynn, when Henry was on them for a short while he could tiddle for England, and then he would do another gallon or so at the next tree...I'm pleased to read that he sounds a bit stronger on his legs whilst standing.

I know you don't like thinking of it but on two occasions when I lost youngsters, the vets asked if they could perform an autopsy, at their expense, to discover what had gone wrong...you may find that this would be the case if the worse happens, Nadia may well ask for your permission if it will help others. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that and that you have many more years together.

Will keep everything crossed for some better news as the day progresses xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Todays update.
Ollie seems quite bright at the moment and we have noticed a difference with his walking already he is still a little unsteady on the back legs but when he came out of the door to greet us earlier he had a little skip of the front legs. The front leg gait is still shorter than its should be but to be expected.

He went up the ramp with no harness he was a little wary at first as his back leg had buckled a little under him but we knew he would be desperate for a wee so Gorden coaxed him and went along side him and back down and he managed.

He wasn't waiting right by the door either today. Michael was with him and he was happy to be laying in the living room instead of patiently watching for us to come back. So I see that as a good sign as well.

He is weeing for England and the latest one Gorden counted it took him 43 seconds

I have taken the number that Bitkin gave me and left a message for this lady her friend recommended to get back to me so will keep you all updated.

He is snoozing now.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
((xx))
Page 105 of 123 « First < 5 55 95 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 115 > Last »