Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Absolutley Gutted :'(

Got a phone call from my brother this morning to say that Koda his Leonberger had died during the night

Koda came from a breeder and he suffered with (can't remember the name!!!!) reflux of his food and it going into his lungs as a puppy, which seemed to get better as he grew up, Koda always had a dicky tummy and they had to be really careful what they fed him.

At the end of last year he had to have an emergency op for a twisted gut and bloat and the vet only just managed to save him but my brother was told to expect the worst as they took him through for his operation.

It looks like this is whats happened again my Brother said he was 'not himself' last night and is beating himself up for not taking him straight to the vet but as I pointed out to him he was off colour quite a bit with his dodgy belly and been perfectly fine except for having the runs the following day - how was he supposed to know - How can you imagine the worst every time your dog has an off day?? He was just quiet when they went to bed at 12, their son came home at 2am and Koda sat up in his bed and looked at him, my brother got up at 7am to find him dead in is bed

I feel so sad for him, Koda was that one special dog that you have in a lifetime and to have him taken away like that - he was only 5. It was horrible to hear my brother crying on the phone and my sister in law couldn't even speak she was beside herself.

Luckily I'm going up there on thursday (scotland) but it's going to be such a bittersweet visit - I know exactly how they're feeling after loosing my Simba suddenly at 2 yrs old I just feel so sad and terrible for them.

They are scared of having a post mortem done as if they find out it was something preventable they will never forgive themselves, surely for him to have gone so quickly it must've been bad and of course hindsight doesn't help at all, maybe they'll change their minds in a day or two.

So goodnight Koda - you were a lovely, regal, daft, idiot of a dog but you will be sorely missed by everyone who ever met you. I even think my sister in law will miss finding her knickers in the garden

Koda . .

Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:37 PM
So sorry-what a handsome dog.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Aww, its always hard to loose them , so sorry for the loss
run free Koda
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:43 PM
What a sad story. He was a beautiful looking dog.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:47 PM
So very tragic, so very young, and so very unexpected, my heart goes out to them. What a gorgeous boy he was too, one of my favourite breeds. Give them a hug from us, they must be in bits over his loss.

Run free sweet Koda.xxx
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Its hard to loose them at any time, but somehow even worse when they are so young and it is so sudden .

Leos are gorgeous dogs.

Sounds like he had megaoesophogus?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Its hard to loose them at any time, but somehow even worse when they are so young and it is so sudden .

Leos are gorgeous dogs.

Sounds like he had megaoesophogus?
That's what it was - Thank you xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Well there is no health test for this, and some dogs are born with it and some develop it.

So there is nothing for the owners or the breeders to reproach themselves for.

It is always very sad when you lose a dog at a young age.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I am so sorry.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:36 PM
i'm so sorry
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >