View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Rescue Dogs From Overseas - For or Against?

I regularly check my 2 local rescue centres to see what kind of dogs are up for rehoming. One of them had a bulletin on the homepage stating she had come under criticism and was under pressure to close the rescue because she takes many dogs from Ireland, breeding bitches in particular.

Now, my rescue dog came from this particular rescue centre and she was from Ireland too (although not an ex brood bitch). She is an absolute treasure to own and never puts a foot wrong so I have absolutely no regrets about giving her a home. To me, it didnt matter where she was from, it mattered that I could help her.

I know from other forums that some people feel strongly that mainland UK has enough of an unwanted dog population without importing more dogs from overseas. They believe we should take care of our own problem instead of mopping up those from elsewhere.

One side of me wants to agree with that. We have more dogs here than homes available so it makes no sense that we should bring in extra dogs from other countries. However, another side of me believes that a dog in need should be helped, regardless of whether it's from Ireland, Greece, Afghan or Spain. But then the other side of me answers that by saying these countries are not being forced to face up to their dog population problem because the UK is clearing up the mess.

At the end of the day, I do have a dog from Ireland, I have contributed to what some people have an issue with and it would be hypocritical for me to say overseas dogs should not be brought here. I dont have a big problem with it but I can see perfectly why some people do.

Just wondering what your thoughts are? Should mainland UK dogs get priority?

This is an extract from Second Chance Rescue homepage:
"I had a call to say that one of the transporters had gone into one of the puppy farms to collect puppies to deliver down to a pet shop in London, and had seen a mass heap of dead dogs he asked the worker how many there were and he told him there was about 100 that has just been killed that day, he asked the worker why had they not gone to rehoming centre and he replied " because none of the irish rescue has space ".

This is how the rescue responds to those who condemn her taking of ex breeding bitches from Ireland:
"The owners of puppy farms do not humainly euthanise these dogs to give them some dignity NO they SLAUGHTER them, by this I mean if the dog is lucky it is taken from it's shed/barn and a bullet is put into it's head but the most common way is the dog is grabbed by it scruff of it's neck and met by a plank of thick wood that will strike it several times until it is dead, then the lifeless blood pouring body is chucked into a barrow with others and then buried in a mass hole."

rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I have no problem---any dog that needs a home needs a home full stop.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 07:58 PM
An amimal in need doesn`t know what nationality it is - and it shouldn`t matter.
I`ve got a Greek one, and Irish one and two English ones. They all needed out.
People who feel Rescues shouldn`t take dogs from other countries should vote with their feet - and let those of us who see needs not frontiers do the same.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
My friend has the most gorgeous little dog, and she was rescued from the streets in Greece.
Had it not been for her being rescued and adopted, and bought over here when they fell in love. I dare not think of what would have happened as stray dogs are not tolerated once the tourist season is over with. The locals admitted that these dogs are often poisoned with spiked food to keep the population under control.
I understand that in different countries they have epic stray dog problems, but its up to people like us to offer these animals a good home if we can afford to bring them over here.

I totally agree that we have problems of our own, and Yes of course our dogs need good homes and a chance in the pounds from being PTS. However there is many, many more dogs out there that are suffering.

Pleased to say after a long jouney, and a very long time spent in quarantine kennels. She is the most adorable little dog, and so unusual to the dogs around here. She really is a one in a million.

I'll ask him if I can post a picture up on here to share with you all, The last I heard is that she is a real pampered princess and really enjoying the British life!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
An amimal in need doesn`t know what nationality it is - and it shouldn`t matter.
People who feel Rescues shouldn`t take dogs from other countries should vote with their feet - and let those of us who see needs not frontiers do the same.
Absolutely agree.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
An animal in need is an animal in need, the whole world over.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-11-2010, 08:59 PM
my mum has a pointer from greece, she has scares all over her body and her jaw has been badly broken and needed lots of dental work, but she still loves people, great dog, and like claire&daisy says she dosnt know shes from greece, but she needed help and got it.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd take a dog from anywhere regardless of where it came from
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 07:35 AM
While I understand individual dogs from different countries can melt hearts and will therefore end up here I am very against importing them into rescues. We have far too many dogs here needing help with rescues having to turn dogs away, and talking to some people in the regions these dogs are coming from they say the population need to learn and by removing the problem we are actually making things worse for future dogs. I tend to believe the locals but can understand people being blinded by the poor dogs plights.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >