Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nixy69
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Please can we have good factual evidence of the trainers who look after their dogs through their racing career until retirement.

Can we also have some attendance figures regarding your local track.
I am working on the attendance figures.

As for factual evidence let me say i work for my branch of the RGT and i know all the trainers personally. As i said in my earlier post if they own the dog they choose to put that dog in our care at the end of its racing career at a cost of £100 to them compared to £15 to put the animal to sleep. Let me give you the case of my own bitch Mimi. Mimi was in racing kennels for about 18 months and in that time she earned them about £2000...in those 18months she acually was racing for around 10 months as she was injury prone. Mimi's trainers kept her while she was earining them nothing at all, paid for her vets bills and then as they owned her they paid £100 to put her in the RGT's care...meaning that they actually made a considerable loss on her and this goes for most of their dogs. When Mimi was rehomed to a family they beat her, shut her outside and burned her with cigarettes until she was an empty shell before someone checked and she came back and i took her on so im sure this can prove a considerable point. Not all trainers are terrible and they are definately NOT in it for the money. I have many more examples that i could share if for some reason you need more evidence from my local track.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:05 PM
God....those poor dogs stuck in those kennels. Appalling conditions. As for the footage of the dogs falling.....it was horrible! I'd be sick if it was my dog. They may have got up but it was still horrible and must have been distressing for the dog.
Are those kennels from a registered owner Trudy?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:08 PM
The point I was making was the industry's failure to regulate.
But surely any commercial enterprise should be visited and regulated by the environmental health also? Our boarding kennels are? Surely they ahve to have a license to keep dogs?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nixy69 View Post
I am working on the attendance figures.

As for factual evidence let me say i work for my branch of the RGT and i know all the trainers personally. As i said in my earlier post if they own the dog they choose to put that dog in our care at the end of its racing career at a cost of £100 to them compared to £15 to put the animal to sleep. Let me give you the case of my own bitch Mimi. Mimi was in racing kennels for about 18 months and in that time she earned them about £2000...in those 18months she acually was racing for around 10 months as she was injury prone. Mimi's trainers kept her while she was earining them nothing at all, paid for her vets bills and then as they owned her they paid £100 to put her in the RGT's care...meaning that they actually made a considerable loss on her and this goes for most of their dogs. When Mimi was rehomed to a family they beat her, shut her outside and burned her with cigarettes until she was an empty shell before someone checked and she came back and i took her on so im sure this can prove a considerable point. Not all trainers are terrible and they are definately NOT in it for the money. I have many more examples that i could share if for some reason you need more evidence from my local track.
Why didnt the trainer keep Mimi when she retired?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
God....those poor dogs stuck in those kennels. Appalling conditions. As for the footage of the dogs falling.....it was horrible! I'd be sick if it was my dog. They may have got up but it was still horrible and must have been distressing for the dog.
Are those kennels from a registered owner Trudy?
Yes - a professional trainer for 30 plus years.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:21 PM
For those who are very much pro racing....can anyone give statistics or factual evidence as to how many registered trainers/owners do not destroy their dogs if they're otherwise healthy or not seriously injured? And before you all go on the defensive...this is a question that I have a genuine interest in knowing the answer. The only person who seems to be giving facts and figures and links to back up her argument is Jodie. I apologise if anyone else has and I haven't seen it.
You see...I am appalled at what happens to many ex-racing greyhounds and all over the internet I see what looks to me to be genuine evidence of the dreadful fate of these beautiful gentle dogs. I have spent the last week trolling through the internet and time and time again I see horrific pictures.
I'm trying to be reasonable in this debate and research it but each time I try to research it I come back with yet more horror. Why is this?
I asked a friend of mine who used to work at Holyhead Port if he'd seen a problem with dumping greyhounds and he told me that most weeks there would be one or two just left at the port by people going back to Ireland. He has no reason to lie as he has no particular interest in abolishing greyhound racing. This was backed up by the lady I got my greyhound and lurchers from.
And I state again...this is not to goad pro racing people on here....I just want to know facts and figures from your side of the argument to support your argument.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes - a professional trainer for 30 plus years.
That is absolutely appalling.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But surely any commercial enterprise should be visited and regulated by the environmental health also? Our boarding kennels are? Surely they ahve to have a license to keep dogs?
The greyhound industry is 'self' regulated which means no external authorities intervene in the running of it.

Not the police, councils or RSPCA.

It polices and pleases itself.
Nixy69
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Because she didnt want to. At the end of the day just because a trainer doesnt keep a dog when it retires does not make them a bad person if you want to race dogs you cant keep all the ones you retire and if they are looked after as well as Mimi was then i have no problems with that. It makes me wonder why people aren't realistic does a show kennel keep all their puppies?? No and some give away their dogs if they don't make the cut but you dont hear everyone slating dog showing and calling for an end and that is a unnatural enviroment compared to racing which they love but trainers get lumped in with the awful few and that really isnt realistic.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:30 PM
The greyhound industry is 'self' regulated which means no external authorities intervene in the running of it.

Not the police, councils or RSPCA.

It polices and pleases itself.
So you are telling me that Greyhound kennels require NO license? Not for boarding, selling or otherwise? Im not talking about the running of Greyhound racing, Im talking of the licensing of a commercial property.
Page 62 of 157 « First < 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 72 112 > Last »