Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi

We use cheese, but Jack only likes the strong smelly cheese, but some of the others use, chicken, ham, sausages a lot of them swear by the hotdog sausages you know the ones that come in tins, and a varaiety of dog treats, Jack also likes the Bakers meaty chunks, they come in beef or chicken, hope this helps.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I find the same - that she's always more interested in other people's bait!

Takara loves cheese, I also picked up some kong liver treats which are easy to snap but probably a bit easier on the tummy than liver cake. Having said that, Dalmatians have really sensitive tummies and most of the dally handlers I know use liver for pups and adults alike.

I'll tell you what though, I picked up some 'pro-reward' freeze dried liver, OMG!! She behaved!!
It's about £4 for a tiny tub but it's well worth it if you only reserve it for shows, certainly got her atttention!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Anne-Marie,

I find that whatever bait I use, they always think someone else has got something better.

Bradley is mad on sausages so I take that chopped into little bits but then find he's after someones chicken or cheese. I've tried both of those with some success but he still wants other people stuff regardless of what I take. I did take peperami when I was training Giddy and that was brilliant, all the other dogs wanted it too, but it does make your hands and clothes smell of it.

Quite a few people at our ringcraft just have a pocketful of kibble, he's never interested in that though.
Know that feeling Ollie wants what everyone else has got and ignores mine completely I get all the other dogs attention though as I take sausage,cheese, Liver cake,strong garlic sausage,but he wants the boring treats,everyone elses dogs behave for me though and come bounding over to meet me to see what I have in my pockets that day. Also found black pudding quite good.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 01:59 PM
You could also try rubbing a clove of garlic over the turkey that you use at present. Garlic is also great at keeping fleas away so you would be catering to more than one need at the same time.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow, what a variety you've all come up with, thanks for all those suggestions!

Will certainly try them out (not all at once, I think he'd explode!!! ) Many thanks to you all for such fab tips!

China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I have been using bits of Turkey slices for bait, two reasons it is easy to handle, not too smelly and doesn't leave a sticky mess on his teeth. He likes it but when at ringcraft his nose always drifts to other peoples bait like the liver cake!

Normally I use liver cake as bait for adult dogs, but I don't want to use this as Marius is quite young and don't want to upset his tummy.

Anyone any tips on other bait to use?
Hi Anne-Marie,
I make my own, and take lots to the shows as dogs love them.
rolled oats,
flour.
powdered milk,
dried fruit.
Golden Syp( cant think of the spelling)
add a little water and combined roll into small balls and bake until golden brown,
its healthly, smells good, no mess and there will be a line of dogs wanting some so be warned
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Ohh sounds lovely China!!!

Can you please let me know quantities to use?
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Ohh sounds lovely China!!!

Can you please let me know quantities to use?
1 1/2 cups of oats
1 1/2 cups of wholewheat flour
1 cup of powder milk
1 cup of dried fruit, I use apple,mango and pawpaw that I dice up
and I forgot 1 egg
and then just a small amount of water to bined the dry
they are quick to make and healthy for the dogs and they dont make a mess
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
tinned hot dogs, sliced thinly, and dried out in the oven.
they last forever.
I dont bother with liver cake theses days, just poach some liver in water with garlic, then cut up into tiny bits and again dry out in the oven as above, turning once or twice to ensure it dries out evenly.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks Thandi!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >