Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 10:01 AM

Christmas Is Alive And Well

Hi I was talking to a lady,she works at Argos,and Argos has built an animal shelter suprising not here but in Cyprus,a lot of the staff,gave up one xmas present each and donated the money to the Animal Shelter,and some are sponsoring a particular animal.I always think of christmas as a time of giving,but just recently have felt this wasnt so.My step grandson was excluded from school,because the last day of term,he started a fire in the waste bin under the teachers desk,he has been out of school since summer,and has made no effort to do anything, so wasnt pleased when he sent me a list for expensive games etc.I told him straight,that you have to earn to be able to buy,and not look to relatives for handouts.Christmas is for giving,but my moan has done some good his other grandparents were going to pay for driving lessons not anymore,he was asked to do some jobs,as Ivor is a builder,he arrived at the site 11.30am managed about an hour then went home without telling his grandfather and he has had his phone confiscated because as his dad said he evidently doesnt use it to let people know what he is doing so why should he have one,he then rang my OH and asked if he could come to us for Xmas,my OH was going to say yes,but didnt,but how in this society do you teach kids how to give and have a good heart.Anyway here is the link to the Animal Shelter.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Argos has a sanctuary here in Larnaca where I live. They've been established here for years. They work in partnership with and alongside Hundeliebe – grenzenlos but this is the first I've heard of them having any connection with the Argos shops in the UK. Maybe you could provide a link with info about that?

As your link has been removed by admin because it took you to a social network site. I will put a link direct to the Argos Website.

http://www.argossanctuary.com/index.html

They are at the moment, like most shelters in Cyprus, overfull and cannot take in any more dogs.

They have shops and all sorts here and are well known. They have the Argos Animal Hotel. (But I still prefer mine!)

http://www.argossanctuary.com/animalBoarding.html

A lot of Brits here help out with Argos.

Cyprus Airways are currently offering 30% discount on freight for animals rescued being flown to homes abroad.

I think Argos here in Cyprus would be VERY happy if they were getting generous donations from ARGOS shopping empire in the UK. As I said, can you please provide a link to the connection between the two (other than them both using the same Greek Name?)

Here is a link to their YouTube Christmas Appeal video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1hty...ature=youtu.be
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Here is information about the person who DID start up the Argos Animal Shelter.

Stella, a founder member of The Cyprus Voice for Animals established Argos back in 2007 after realising the desperate need for a charity to protect the abused, abandoned and unwanted animals of Cyprus.

From humble beginnings Stella has seen the sanctuary struggle and grow into what it is today. Her dream of a safe place for these animals was supported by friend and fellow animal lover Ritsa.

Stella works 24/7 answering the cries for help from the public who always turn to her in cases of local animal abuse. Stellas work can be as varied as attending government meetings, over seeing work at the Argos charity shops, answering endless mail and phone calls and yet she still finds time to get involved with the day to day cleaning of the sanctuary along with the regular volunteers.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 01:37 PM
I've emailed Argos so will let you know straight from horse's mouth
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm in comms with them at the mo to see if they will take back an adorable Cyprus Poodle that came from there but whose owners are leaving the island and not taking it with them. A darling dog. So far no luck but will keep trying. Will break my heart to see this dog out on the streets this winter.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh no - I hope someone will be able to help the dog. You don't think they'll just abandon it, do you?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Plenty of people do. (Including, shamefully, quite a few returning Brits).

It's a young Romanian couple - they did want to take the dog with them and got it all sorted for the passport etc. then found out how much it costs and they just don't have that sort of money.

I am also going to ask the man that babysat Bella if he could at least 'foster' it for a while.

I absolutely CANNOT take on another dog. It costs me enough to have Bella boarded twice or thrice a year and travel if needed. And Bella really does not like other dogs coming into our apartment. And me and her have a lovely life together and I don't want to do anything to upset that.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi I met this lady at Hospital we were waiting for transport,she was worrying as she was expected back at Work.She started talking about the Animal Shelter,she gave me a link,I do not use face book and would have had no idea what the link was.I have apologised.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Apologised to who? For what?

Just that in the past you've posted stuff as if it were fact and it was entirely wrong.

Like when you said you'd lobbied the RSPCA to start a lottery and they'd started one now. And I pointed out to you they started it 10 years ago? You never came back on that.

I'm just asking you - if you have any proof that what you posted is true - provide a link to it. I've provided many links for you to the ARGOS Animal Shelter where you can read all about it - but I don't think you will find any mention of Argos UK shopping empire. Nor that they get any help or any money from them!

They are desperately in need of donations (if you want to do something to help them!)