View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Its wrong to judge a breed just as much as it is wrong to judge a book by the cover. I do agree with Phil to a point. Any dog could have killed that you boy its just some breeds were bred 'to kill', so yes they would have done it faster cause thats their 'job'.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Whos ignoring it ? When i said in the Anti BSL (not dda) section that we should put a video together of all dogs under threat of BSL (not the ones just banned in the UK) Minihaha didnt like the idea.

I have no problems with any breed, i love all dogs and i dont cross the road when i see a certain breeding coming my way. My best friend at school when i was a kid had A Border collie called Pepsi, lovely dog, I worked with soooooo many of them, even had A collie rescue come and stay in the kennels i worked at and had over 20 of them in at once (this was in devon) and i fell in love with a deaf collie. Ive never had a problem with any breed ever.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
As has been said many times on here before, any dog can attack and injure a child. I don't think breed is completely irrelevant because the size, strength and characteristics of a breed may well determine how serious the injuries are. It does seem to me though that a few of the bull breed owners on here who constantly recite deed not breed, are all too happy to ignore this when another breed is involved
Have to agree .
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by AussieGeek View Post
Its wrong to judge a breed just as much as it is wrong to judge a book by the cover. I do agree with Phil to a point. Any dog could have killed that you boy its just some breeds were bred 'to kill', so yes they would have done it faster cause thats their 'job'.
Kill what ? not humans, please find a breed that was breed to kill a human, Some breed where bred to kill other animals and some breeds where bred to guard. So any dog that attacks a child is acting out of nature.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:54 PM
so sad that poor wee boy, I bet this will not get the amount of media intrest that a similar incident with the so called dangerous dog breeds would get
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
so sad that poor wee boy, I bet this will not get the amount of media intrest that a similar incident with the so called dangerous dog breeds would get
It wont and im glad as i dont wish that on any breed, but i understand your point.
Bull breed owners and Rottie owners have to be defensive all the time because of what people think, so if u think this post is to slate of Collies then your wrong and im sorry if you took that way.

It just seems fine for anyone to post up threads and articles about bull breeds and mastiff dog attacks but as soon as any other breed is mentioned a few get angry, but us bull breed owners are just meant to deal with this all the time.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Kill what ? not humans, please find a breed that was breed to kill a human, Some breed where bred to kill other animals and some breeds where bred to guard. So any dog that attacks a child is acting out of nature.
How would it be out of nature?? Gaurd dogs 9/10 times are also bred to attack humans. And dogs that are bred to kill animals are still bred to kill something. How is a dog supposed to distiguish between what they are supposed to attack and what they arent?? Just like how is a child supposed to distinguish a nice dog from a dog that is going to bite??

Im not trying to make it sound like dogs are bad. I own a pit and always will. But personally I dont agree with regualar ordinary people having a gaurd dog. I understand police dogs but just a random person out in town IMO should not be able to own a gaurd dog.
I also know that this was a stray but its just the point that any dog can and will bite and sometimes without even realizing they have done something wrong.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by AussieGeek View Post
How would it be out of nature?? Gaurd dogs 9/10 times are also bred to attack humans. And dogs that are bred to kill animals are still bred to kill something. How is a dog supposed to distiguish between what they are supposed to attack and what they arent?? Just like how is a child supposed to distinguish a nice dog from a dog that is going to bite??

Im not trying to make it sound like dogs are bad. I own a pit and always will. But personally I dont agree with regualar ordinary people having a gaurd dog. I understand police dogs but just a random person out in town IMO should not be able to own a gaurd dog.
I also know that this was a stray but its just the point that any dog can and will bite and sometimes without even realizing they have done something wrong.
Im sorry but a dog bred to kill anther animal does not mean it would kill a human, of course it can tell an animal between a human.

Like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier for an instance, they were bred to Fight other dogs but also bred to love humans.
My dogs can react in an aggressive manner towards another dog if pushed but can be slap and lay all over by kids (not that i allow but it has happened before) yet they have not attacked. So when the SBT does attack its 100 percent out of nature.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hayley - you didn't do yourself any favours by saying the dog was a Border Collie, when there is no mention of that in the article. They report: attacked by a collie dog. They don't even call it a collie, but a collie dog. It could be whole number of different breeds (rough collie, smooth collie, border collie, collie cross or similar breed) or in fact a mongrel (as later reported by the BBC) of a collie-ish type.

Most people have heard you go on about how much you don't like/have been bitten by a BC, and you rant on similar related topics - so I'm not surprised at the reaction at all.

You should apologise to all the Border Collie owners for (perhaps inadvertantly) tarnishing their breeds reputation by saying it was involved in this attack. But somehow, I doubt you will...
Thank you

Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
It wont and im glad as i dont wish that on any breed, but i understand your point.
Bull breed owners and Rottie owners have to be defensive all the time because of what people think, so if u think this post is to slate of Collies then your wrong and im sorry if you took that way.

It just seems fine for anyone to post up threads and articles about bull breeds and mastiff dog attacks but as soon as any other breed is mentioned a few get angry, but us bull breed owners are just meant to deal with this all the time.
As far as I'm concerned EVERY dog owner needs to be aware of what's happening at the moment regardless of breed. No one said don't post threads about dog attacks but make sure you don't misquote the article. That's what leads to getting people's backs up.
Don't forget, this is a site for all DOG lovers, none of us want to see ANY breed get bad press.
Also, sorry but I don't believe that a Border Collie that isn't a working dog is more prone to biting. That's just a load of tosh. My non working collie has never even snapped at anything let alone bite it.
Irresponsible dog owners are and always have been the problem. End of story.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Like i said wufflehund i didnt mean to mis quote Border Collie i meant to type collie, if Azz will delete the border bit then thank you. Im sorry for adding the Border but other than that im not sorry. Do bull breed owners ask for a sorry when threads about their breeds are reported when it comes to an attack? No.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »