View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 02:11 PM
All we can go on is what the mother and eyewitnesses here in town say. (But like any town we are prone to chinese whispers!)
The in's and out's of either attack are really not relevant. The fact still remains that a dog has attacked. The responsibility lies at the feet of the owners.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 02:11 PM
At the end of the day, a child has been injured by what appears to be a stray dog. The breed of this dog is not the issue, the fact that it was running wild was.
I don't understand however why the poster 'decided' the dog was a 'Border Collie' when it clearly stated 'collie' in the article. If I saw an article where a child had been attacked by a 'terrier', I wouldn't then change the title to read 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier'.
Ryan W
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I gree with Minihaha, it seemsto many people are jumping on the 'deed not breed' bandwagon, and only applying it to bull breeds.

should not be allowed out unless they are on a lead and muzzled.
What gives her the right to say that?!

And I still can't see the pint in even having a dog, if you're just going to let it roam the streets ? why not just take it to a rescue centre

I feel for the boy, I was bitten a few years back from my friends 'Border Collie', well, she thought i was, but it obviously wasn't, more like a GSD. But I've not been afraid of that breed since, never really though about it, because I firmly beleive it's the 'Deed not the breed'
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ryan W View Post
I gree with Minihaha, it seemsto many people are jumping on the 'deed not breed' bandwagon, and only applying it to bull breeds.
I think the reason for this is the bull breeds are always under attack! don't get me wrong i think deed not breed should apply to all breeds.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
I think the reason for this is the bull breeds are always under attack!
I don't think they are always under attack and I own a few I think it's time Bull breed owners started putting those papers down and put them in the bin where they belong.
They are only under attack because certain owners get their knickers in a twist and make such a big deal out of publicised attacks (I don't mean that in a horrible way, it's always terrible when a child gets hurt) but what do certain people do when a Bull Breed attacks..Jump to their immediate defence when the press sensationalise these attacks, jam pack their email accounts, jam their telephone switchboards only highlighting and thrusting the dogs into the spotlight once again - if no one kicked up such a big stink about the dogs the press would have nothing to publish.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Hayley - you didn't do yourself any favours by saying the dog was a Border Collie, when there is no mention of that in the article. They report: attacked by a collie dog. They don't even call it a collie, but a collie dog. It could be whole number of different breeds (rough collie, smooth collie, border collie, collie cross or similar breed) or in fact a mongrel (as later reported by the BBC) of a collie-ish type.

Most people have heard you go on about how much you don't like/have been bitten by a BC, and you rant on similar related topics - so I'm not surprised at the reaction at all.

You should apologise to all the Border Collie owners for (perhaps inadvertantly) tarnishing their breeds reputation by saying it was involved in this attack. But somehow, I doubt you will...
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I agree with the blame the deed not the breed point of view, guess I am a bit unlucky but I have been bitten by, border collie, mongrel,and gsd but not (so far) by any of the bull breeds we have. Any dog can bite but some can do more damage than others when they do. Hope the little boy is getting better, just to say that none of my dog attacks have put me off any breed so far.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Azz so i got it wrong in the title i will say sorry for that, take out the Border bit then, So when people say Pit bull then its a collective name for American Pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, no one pulls anyone on threads saying Pitbull kills child, or Staffy attacks child, or Rottie attack child etc.

I worked for a WHOLE year and lived with 4 Border collies when i was a kennel maid, i even did an essay about Border Collies, this is how come I know that a Border collie who is not worked it hyped up and then its more likely to bite. I loved the collies, One call Murran who was Harjack breeding and she was lovely girl one of my fave dogs, she did agilty and was in sound mind because the owners were great. So no i dont have any dislike for Border collies,

Im just sick and tired on this forum that i have to defend the American Pit Bull Terrier from a certain few always saying they are more dangerous than any other breed, And i had PMS from other members (over 5) also stating that it is also getting on there nerves too (and these are members i dont really talk too outside of this forum, not even on pm through here). On other forums i never have to defend the American Pit Bull Terrier as much as i do on here, and what makes it worse this is a world wide forum that google picks up.

Sorry for saying Border Collie, I meant Collie as this is what it states from the article i have found
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think the thread title is unfair, the breed of dog is not significant and anyway I can see no mention of a Border Collie just a 'collie' which could be a cross breed.

For people who are supposed to be anti BSL in other words anti breed discrimination of any kind some people seem all to eager to point the finger at breeds which are not their own.

I think the whole title is sensationalist and does no favours to dog owners in general.
Totally agree!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:43 PM
As has been said many times on here before, any dog can attack and injure a child. I don't think breed is completely irrelevant because the size, strength and characteristics of a breed may well determine how serious the injuries are. It does seem to me though that a few of the bull breed owners on here who constantly recite deed not breed, are all too happy to ignore this when another breed is involved
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »