Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Dog with bone cancer

How can I help my daughter cope with the loss of her wonderful dog of 14 plus years he was diagnosed with bone cancer June 2012 and kidney failure February 2013 she had to make the decision to have him put to sleep she now thinks she should have waited a little longer put I think she made the right decision as he was not eating and was drinking excessive (did she make the right decision). Nellie d
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Of course she did. And what earthly use would it be for anyone to 'agree with her' that maybe she didn't?

I doubt if there is anyone here who has lost a beloved pet through whatever cause who hasn't recriminated themselves to some degree when they sit thinking over it all (with hindsight).

Some things just cannot be 'rationalised'. When we cannot bear something that has happened we naturally try to find reasons for it or apportion blame for it or just go over and over it and wonder if we could have done anything differently. That's natural.

In your place I would just concentrate on keep reminding your daughter what a good life her dog had with her. I know when I was feeling so very sorry for myself and missing my last dog so much it did actually bring me some comfort to have so many friends and family keep telling me that no dog could have had a better or happier life than she did.

It takes time. It takes years with me (every time it happens again). But time is a healer. And so is a new dog. And I KNOW THAT FOR CERTAIN. But I still cannot bring myself to get a new dog for a very long time afterwards. Once that was 10 yrs! Swearing I'd never go through that heartbreak again. I am improving - last time it was only 2 yrs.
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you,thank you he was a wonderful funny,happy dog and I am going to miss him, but he is in a better place
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 07:34 PM
They leave such a big hole in your life. I always say that when you have a dog you are guaranteed that you will have something to smile at every day and most days something to laugh out loud at too. They can be so funny.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I had to have a dog pts last year. He had bone cancer too and had been through the amputation then chemo route. We thought he would have another 18 months but, sadly, he developed more tumours. I couldn't cope with the fact that he was in pain, despite three different pain killers and had him pts but I am still wracked with guilt that I acted hastily. I know that I did everything I could for him and a lot more than some would have done but that feeling is still there so I can sympathise with your daughter. The pain will ease in time and you just need to be there for her.
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Thank you fivedogpam, my daughter has gone back to work today hope she is coping,I keep telling her her dog had the most wonderful life, as I am certain your dog did,you should not feel guilty as you made the right decision for your pet, I keep looking at my 2 dogs and there will come a time when I will have to make the same decision wish they lived as long as humans. Nellie d
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2013, 11:19 AM
My boy went to the bridge almost 2 yrs ago with Bone cancer, you can ask yourself as many "what ifs" forever more, but for me I know we did the best we could and what makes it all worth while is knowing the time we had together was full of love from him to us and us to him, miss my old man now as much as then, and will do for ever, your daughter will eventually come to terms with the fact the life she gave her dog was special for them all.

They enter our lives, turn them upside down, and fill them with love, I always think, better to have had those memories than not .xx
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Of course your daughter did the right thing. It hurts so bad to let them go. I lost Ossie last October, I obviously didn't want to see him suffer, but such a huge call to make. She had a long life with her dog, and will have such wonderful memories.
Hugs to you and your daughter.
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Thank you all for the support Nellie d