Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:31 PM

Angry woman on our walk - poor dog!

Walking in the park this morning, this woman came walking up with her dog offlead and as the dog got about 10 paces ahead of her she called her back with: 'SADIE! GET 'ERE!'

I put Eddy on a lead in case the other dog ran up to us and the woman went barmy at her dog 'SADIE! SADIE! GET 'ERE NOW!'

Takara went to say hello because the dog was running up to us and I called her back but they did say hello, the woman was still having a hissy fit at her dog so I called Takara back to me and the dog finally returned to her owner.

When she got back to the owner the woman yelled 'come here when I tell you! get here' the dog stood by the side of her as indicated and the woman raised her hand as if to smack her but then looked and saw that I was watching her so didn't hit her dog.

It makes me so angry when I see something like that! If she'd have hit her I'd have had to say something and if it had been up to me, I'd have taken the dog off her!

When I told a friend what had happened he said most dog walkers avoid her because she's mad and is always going off like that.

If you want your dog to walk all the way right by your side, why not put it on a lead?!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:36 PM
aww poor dog i hope she dosent smack her when she got home
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Don't they make you so mad
I see loads of these sort,they let there dogs off lead and the recall is non-exsistant or very poor,they stand there screaming at the dogs to return. I have seen some though that are brilliant off-lead and one guy has a fantastically trained rotty,which they had from rescue.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Was it me????? Well, I have to say, my two are always off the lead when we are out on our walk, BUT, if we're approaching another dog, then yes, I do want them to come back to me (not that they're very far!) and stay with us and not run up to the other dog. Cassie sometimes, decides she'd rather carry on and greet this other dog, so yes, then I do shout at her to get her attention, which I usually do, so she stops and waits for us to catch up, or on a good day she will actually come straight back to us. The reason I do this is because my two are quite big scary creatures and some dogs are rather timid, and some dogs are aggressive, so I would rather have them with me, put them BACK on their leads, well one of them (Georgie who might be a bit "iffy" with the other dog!) until the dog approaches us. That way I know it's friendly (well usually!) and it will be safe to let them greet it.

That's just me though, but I would never, ever go to hit either of them, but they sure would get my gruff voice if they ignored me and went running up to another dog. In fact, Georgie would have to spend a further 10 minutes on his lead if he ignored me, and this treatment must have taught him something coz he's the one who listens to me most now when I shout at them to come back or wait
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I appreciate that, I always call mine back too if we're approaching an unknown dog, particularly onlead.

However, she had a go at this dog before she'd done anything wrong and her attitude and sound of her voice was making matters far worse and was upsetting Eddy too who started growling.

I can promise that if I see this woman again and the same thing happens, I will be reporting her. Apparently she is 'a sandwich short of a picnic' anyway and even if it's some medical condition that causes her to treat her dog this way she shouldn't be allowed to own one. imo.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh I see Lottie! It couldn't have been me then!!!! No, what I meant was, I do shout their name again, and add a few "come here's" if they don't come back first time, but this woman sounds like a right nightmare! Thank goodness she never did hit her dog though,maybe she thought twice, and maybe it was because she saw you, in which case that poor dog might get a beating when it gets home! Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a living creature, but it's a waste of time me just saying that isn't it, unfortunately
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 03:56 PM
with ben his recall is very good, but on the odd occasion he cops a deaf un, i just say "oh ok im going now byee" and go to walk off in the oppsitie direction, he chases after me quickly, (got abandonment issues i think LOL)
but id never smack him,normally i say thats it your going to bed with no treats. iget some strange looks off ppl i have full converasations with ben !!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I find its other dogs that come running up to Ollie,he doesn't seem to notice them till they are right on him,he is friendly and loves to play so I don't mind if they are friendly too.
I find there is no point in shouting they don't listen anyway,Ollie saw two dogs today and started to sprint as if to follow them so I just stopped and eventually he sat and waited and then realised I wasn't budging so eventually came back to me and didn't worry about the other two dogs.So he got a lot of fuss and some cheese.
I don't like to hear to hear people scream and shout at their dogs or children makes me wonder how unhappy they must be.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I can sort of understand why perhaps this lady was shouting at her dog cause Vegas often only responds when you shout (occasionally goes deaf as well) and its also cause he's that little bit further away.I dont like him to bound upto dogs/owners i dont know cause he is quite boisterous and some people may take it the wrong way given his size.Given the chance-he will haunt another dog to death so it plays with him.

I've never got an aggresive tone in my voice when telling him to return and cause he's already hand shy (from previous owners?) im careful how i speak to him or arm movements.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I wish you could all hear me, she did have a very aggressive tone to her voice!

The dog looked quite old and couldn't move too fast but did want to play nevertheless. Perhaps she was concerned about her hurting herself or Takara hurting her in play, I don't know. But judging on what my friend told me about how she's always like it, and the fact that she hadn't got a clue that her tone of voice was scaring the dog off, not to mention going to hit her when she did finally come back - I still dont' like it.

I haven't seen her before, and probably won't again but if I ever see her hit that dog she'll have the RSPCA to answer to! (although some would agree that's not a great deterrent at the mo)