View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I think all puppies should have vaccinations, after they have been fully vaccinated my dogs are then tested to see if they need a booster when the time comes.

Jess I have also have a degree in Biology, and I am actually studying to become a Canine behaviourist. Until I am properly qualified and accredited I wouldn't dream of charging people for any help or advice, or run classes. I think it is worrying that you don't vaccinate your puppies, I agree that dogs often don't need the boosters so they should be tested first. But, I would not want to put my puppies at risk, and it is not right to rely on other people to vaccinate their dog so yours is safe.
What the hell would happen if every new puppy owner in the UK said I am not protecting my puppy against some really nasty diseases, everyone else can...... Lots and lots of puppies would die , in very nasty ways. Yes, there can be risks in vaccination, but for the overall picture the pros far out weigh it.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by fimberly View Post
I am pretty sure I am behind you on this one (possibly exceptons made for peoples circumtances changing/ homeless people, etc)

I was talking about educated decisions not to vaccinate....if you have a dog that has died in the past from vaccine damage, you would be wary of giving it to another dog (Riley only because paralised, but if anything worse happened, I dont know what I would do) I would be the same with a child, and I know of people that have made the decision not to vaccinate their children for that reason.....I have my own opinion on it, but I cannot judge them if they have made that decision
fair enough - i would also be vary wary if my dog had reacted badly to the vaccine - but even though i have heard stories off this (onyl off you guys never first hand) im not going to stop vaccinating my dogs

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Mine are vaccinated as pups then at 3 yearly intervals,agreed by our vets......

I don't believe in vacinating every 12 months.
As pups they are taken everywhere,carried & driven in the car.I also took Megs upto school so she got use to lots of cars,noise etc...Tyler was the same.

At the end of the day I guess it's personal choice & what the owner feels is right for the dog in question.

fair enough sal - this is the point - you vaccinated them. every three years is your choice and if it works for you then great - you gavve them a chance as pups - you vaccinated them - this is my arguument with jess lol!!!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As far as personal choice is concerned I'm not sure i agree on this one. If everyone made the decision not to vaccinate (and at the moment I'm just talking about puppy vaccs) then what would happen??? A lot of pups would die thats what would happen...therefore those who make a choice not to vaccinate are doing so, relying on other dogs to offer their dogs protection, therefore they are not exactly being fair are they? Why should I pay for their dogs to be protected? Or any other owner for that matter.
It is responsible dog ownership IMO to vacinate pups and I personally don't feel the pup vaccs are a matter of personal choice. Unless there is a madical reason for a specific pup not to be vaccinated then they should all be vacinated it is the only way to protect all dogs from what we need to remember are absolutely awful diseases.
totally agree - great points -try listening jess

I have a degree in Biology with animal behaviour, which to me is a bit of paper, it means nothing. Hands on experience and lots and lots of reading and courses by other postive rewarding trainers have made me who I am. I am still learning (as I should be, new theories come out all the time), but my 'qualifications' I believe come from success stories, from dogs who without my intervention would not still be with their owners, or worst case scenario, not here at all.[/QUOTE]

i study animal behaviour, i also do welfare etc - alll aspects of animal care etc - do i class myself as aperson who could make a statement that dogs do not need vaccines??? do i he11!!!!!

Originally Posted by jess View Post
''You think because I don't think like you I am therefore badly educated and unaware????''

No, I didn't know you didn't like me.
But perhaps that is the reason for the put downs about my training, and me, in general.

As for your question, I am not Gad, I don't know, but I do the best I can for my dogs. It's not about not vaccinating everyone. It's about making sure vaccines are safer. It's about admitting that it is about money, not welfare. (If it was about welfare then elderly dogs would not be vaccinated).

edited to say:
perhaps you could stop commenting to me directly if you don't like me, after all that is biasing your arguement.

not biased at all - ppeople are not respecting you cos everything you type about this is full of crap

vaccines were brought out for a reason - if dogs did not need vaccines why would vets reccomend them - why would kennels ask for proff of them??? why would DECENT dog training schools ask for them???? why?? answer them properly .... but i doubt you will -
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:57 AM
You'll agree with me then that a paper degree means nothing, hands on training and a natural feeling are the things that make a good trainer. I have been training dogs since a tiny child, I genuinly don't know how I knew what I knew.
As I said, I don't need anyone here to tell me what is good and bad.
I only have one pup that is unvaccinated, and believe me it was a horrible desicion. Akela was only done as a pup, and the other two were done to a year old. Little Prinz suffered with lumps and bumps in his first year, and is still suffering because of the op to remove some. Didn't return though, but not sure if that is the raw feeding or non-vaccs!!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I would like to Ask Jess. If everyone left their dogs un vaccinated do you think the cases of distemper and parvo would increase? I think so as I have stated before a nurse has commented that Parvo is much less often seen now than it was 18 years ago.....surely down to more dogs being vaccinated against it? May be vaccines are not 100% nothing is but surely its better to err on the side of caution than leave it to chance. Also the cases of dogs having a reaction to vaccines I am sure is much lower than the cases of un vaccinated dogs dying of such illnesses. Yes its not good for those who do have a reaction but surely the chances are so minimal?

MMR is said to have reactions but the diseases are less common now because more kids have the vaccine. My son had a bad reaction but it was delt with and he will have his next boosters

Mel
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
fair enough sal - this is the point - you vaccinated them. every three years is your choice and if it works for you then great - you gavve them a chance as pups - you vaccinated them - this is my arguument with jess lol!!!
Hi Suze I think what Sal means here (correct me if I am wrong Sal ) is she uses one of the Vaccines like Intervet’s Nobivac that covers a dog for three years for a number of diseases..

Some interesting information on the 3 year vaccination (From Our dogs magazine)
http://www.videxgsd.com/boosters_thr...rs_is_fine.htm
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Mini

Yes you got what I meant lol,I have a lovely way of confusing folks
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hi Mini

Yes you got what I meant lol,I have a lovely way of confusing folks

no what i was saying that - even if you vaccined your dogs every 3 years - thats fine - whichever vaccine you use - you also vaccince your pups which is what i also do - just saying fab - if that vaccine works for you great!!!

betya ive confuzzled you all now ant i??!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
''You think because I don't think like you I am therefore badly educated and unaware????''

No, I didn't know you didn't like me.
But perhaps that is the reason for the put downs about my training, and me, in general.

As for your question, I am not Gad, I don't know, but I do the best I can for my dogs. It's not about not vaccinating everyone. It's about making sure vaccines are safer. It's about admitting that it is about money, not welfare. (If it was about welfare then elderly dogs would not be vaccinated).

edited to say:
perhaps you could stop commenting to me directly if you don't like me, after all that is biasing your arguement.
I said...(direct quote...)
"No your absolutely right Jess, there is absolutely nothing you can say.
What exactly do you knwo that I don't? You think I don't read? You think I don't research? You think because I don't think like you I am therefore badly educated and unaware???? You have absolutely NO idea of my background and absolutely no idea of what I do or do not know so don't presume ."

Before you jump down someones throat, you really shoud ensure that you read their post PROPERLY.
I didn't say I didn't like you. the important word in the highlighted sentence is THINK
because I don't THINK like you, not becuase I don't like you.

Anyone on here who knows me and had read my many thousands of posts, will know I would never post like that or say anything like that, no matter how heated any discussion got.

Please read my posts properly.

As for not knowing what would happen if no one vaccinated...I think you do know the answer, it isn't rocket science. :smt002
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2007, 02:19 PM
This is getting more heated than a Northern Inuit debate. lol.

Think people are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 02:33 PM
true true

but - people on here have tons more experience than jess - people who are QUALIFIED (key word here) dog trainers - want to have their say - who i respect - and know tons more than her, me and a lot of other people on here

i also dont agree with jess's posts a while ago as well - reading back about her dog disappearing etc - having to use the ecollar - there were ways round that situation - i know what its like to make mistakes - i obviously have made lots - and will continue to make mistakes - but people on dogsey who are way expienced will tell me off - i listen to them - dont like what they have to say sometimes but they are right

so flush your ears out jess and listen up - people on dogsey know what they are talking about - you may think you have experience but right now all we see is some immature liitle know all who wont see other peoples views - just listen to others with experience on dogsey who can help you not to make some horrible mistakes...
Page 9 of 41 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »