View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 08:25 AM
i took suki everywhere in the car, in town you name it she was allowed in the garden as well i just made sure there was no other cat dirt in there 1st
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Mine are vaccinated as pups then at 3 yearly intervals,agreed by our vets......

I don't believe in vacinating every 12 months.
As pups they are taken everywhere,carried & driven in the car.I also took Megs upto school so she got use to lots of cars,noise etc...Tyler was the same.

At the end of the day I guess it's personal choice & what the owner feels is right for the dog in question.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by fimberly View Post
Ramble DONT DO IT.
I have 3 cats and wish every day that they were dogs.lol.
Get a small dog instead. lol

Hmmmmmmm...........not sure OH would let me....:smt002
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all your comments - good and bad. Interesting to hear differing points of view.

I have made an educated desicion, and I have met ALOT of dogs and owners and take note on all their stories. My desicion not to vaccinate is based on something other than laziness, in fact it has cost me so much time, stress and worry about the right thing to do.
I do not advocate people not vaccinating their dogs, but I do advocate people learning. If it takes your dogs to be vaccinated to protect mine then fine, but in this case mine come first.

I have a degree in Biology with animal behaviour, which to me is a bit of paper, it means nothing. Hands on experience and lots and lots of reading and courses by other postive rewarding trainers have made me who I am. I am still learning (as I should be, new theories come out all the time), but my 'qualifications' I believe come from success stories, from dogs who without my intervention would not still be with their owners, or worst case scenario, not here at all.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:14 AM
As far as personal choice is concerned I'm not sure i agree on this one. If everyone made the decision not to vaccinate (and at the moment I'm just talking about puppy vaccs) then what would happen??? A lot of pups would die thats what would happen...therefore those who make a choice not to vaccinate are doing so, relying on other dogs to offer their dogs protection, therefore they are not exactly being fair are they? Why should I pay for their dogs to be protected? Or any other owner for that matter.
It is responsible dog ownership IMO to vacinate pups and I personally don't feel the pup vaccs are a matter of personal choice. Unless there is a madical reason for a specific pup not to be vaccinated then they should all be vacinated it is the only way to protect all dogs from what we need to remember are absolutely awful diseases.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Thanks for all your comments - good and bad. Interesting to hear differing points of view.

I have made an educated desicion, and I have met ALOT of dogs and owners and take note on all their stories. My desicion not to vaccinate is based on something other than laziness, in fact it has cost me so much time, stress and worry about the right thing to do.
I do not advocate people not vaccinating their dogs, but I do advocate people learning. If it takes your dogs to be vaccinated to protect mine then fine, but in this case mine come first.
That sort of sums it all up....I'm alright Jack huh????? Why should I pay for your dog to be protected Jess?
I have a degree in Biology with animal behaviour, which to me is a bit of paper, it means nothing. Hands on experience and lots and lots of reading and courses by other postive rewarding trainers have made me who I am. I am still learning (as I should be, new theories come out all the time), but my 'qualifications' I believe come from success stories, from dogs who without my intervention would not still be with their owners, or worst case scenario, not here at all.
So you have no official qualifications in dog behaviour then...a degree in biology with a module on animal behaviour can hardly be classed as a qualification to train dogs.(Many of my friends have the same and wouldn't have a clue how to stroke my dogs let alone train them.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:22 AM
''the only way to protect all dogs''

WRONG.
Vaccination does NOT guarantee immunity, you are Misleading people by stating sweeping statements like that.

I will titre in a year, as will my neighbour with her pup who is also unvaccinated.
I will let you all know what anti-bodies are present. If there are anti-bodies for your beloved diseases will that cease your worries?
Or will you then worries how the magic has happened?

There are many examples of unvaccinated dogs having anti-bodies to parvo, distemper etc.
Not that this guarantees immunity either, but the fact they are present means that either the disease has been fought off OR that shed vaccine from other animals has been picked up.

One final thing:
The immune system is not finite.
Malnutrition lowers the immune system.
If the immune system is not working 100% then it is more likely that animals come down with a disease if it is challenged by it.

This is why vaccine manufacturers state 'Do not vaccinate if the animal is stressed, ill, or already has an auto immune disease'
Diabetes is an example of an auto immune disease (where the body attacks itself for an unknown reason) yet vets )here anyway) still vaccinate these dogs yearly. Can anyone tell me why?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:25 AM
''That sort of sums it all up....I'm alright Jack huh????? Why should I pay for your dog to be protected Jess?''

Because I know, and you don't. It is your choice to also choose not to vaccinate.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So you have no official qualifications in dog behaviour then...a degree in biology with a module on animal behaviour can hardly be classed as a qualification to train dogs.(Many of my friends have the same and wouldn't have a clue how to stroke my dogs let alone train them.
Thanks for that valuable contrabution to this thread. Please stop trying to put me down, it won't work here. My training has nothing to do with you, only me and my clients. If they are happy I am happy. There is nothing I can say here to prove I am an ethical person.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
''That sort of sums it all up....I'm alright Jack huh????? Why should I pay for your dog to be protected Jess?''

Because I know, and you don't. It is your choice to also choose not to vaccinate.

Thanks for that valuable contrabution to this thread. Please stop trying to put me down, it won't work here. My training has nothing to do with you, only me and my clients. If they are happy I am happy. There is nothing I can say here to prove I am an ethical person.
No your absolutely right Jess, there is absolutely nothing you can say.
What exactly do you knwo that I don't? You think I don't read? You think I don't research? You think because I don't think like you I am therefore badly educated and unaware???? You have absolutely NO idea of my background and absolutely no idea of what I do or do not know so don't presume .

As for your previous post about sweeping statements Jess...I think you actually just repeated something I have already posted on this thread. I had already said that vaccinataion wasn't a guarantee.
As for you titre testing...

As I say you have NO idea what I do and do not know.

As for putting you down???
No Jess, I am not doing that I am commenting on things you have said. You said you were happy to debate...so again Jess...what would happen if no one vaccinated?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2007, 10:41 AM
''You think because I don't think like you I am therefore badly educated and unaware????''

No, I didn't know you didn't like me.
But perhaps that is the reason for the put downs about my training, and me, in general.

As for your question, I am not Gad, I don't know, but I do the best I can for my dogs. It's not about not vaccinating everyone. It's about making sure vaccines are safer. It's about admitting that it is about money, not welfare. (If it was about welfare then elderly dogs would not be vaccinated).

edited to say:
perhaps you could stop commenting to me directly if you don't like me, after all that is biasing your arguement.
Page 8 of 41 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »